Friday, June 12, 2015

It's Friday, I'm in LOVE!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1)  My family for helping me come up with a quick solution to an unexpected problem.

2)  The blessings that come from paying your tithing.  What a blessing!
Goals for the Day:
 
1) Pick up replacement flowers for the wedding.
Overnight the remaining roses I had in my fridge froze.
I was crushed.  So I missed the wedding, the grand exit of the couple from the Temple, and the luncheon to hunt down more roses.  Thank goodness I found some that will work, not exactly what we had, but these will do the job.  I so need a flower cooler to put in my garage.  (I'll put this on my X-mas list.)
2) Go to the bank with Danielle
3) Get to the church this afternoon to help decorate.
4) Pick up around the house.
5) Get to bed at a reasonable hour so I can finish the wedding flowers tomorrow.
 
From the Camera:
 
 
This is a photo of Lexi holding the bridal bouquet I made yesterday.  Love the feet in the photo.  LOL!
 
From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, here is another idea.....

"Knowing what paint a painter uses or having an understanding of where he was in the history of where he came from doesn't hurt your appreciation of the painting." -Jodie Foster
 
Make an effort to be polite to someone you don't get along with. Go out of your way to say hello or have a conversation with them. Getting to know and understand him or her better might help you appreciate your differences. Before you know it you might actually have a new friend!

Benefits:

So often we do not get along with people simply because we don't take the time to understand where they are coming from. If we knew more about them--their background, where they grew up, what they do with their free time--we would better understand why they say or do the things they do. It is always wise to be quick to withhold judgment and instead hear someone out. It is what we would want for ourselves, so we should give it to others!

Step It Up:

Don't just wait to "run into" that person. Go up to them, seek them out, and say hello or invite them to lunch or simply start talking with them. You could even bring them a small gift! Maybe some baked goods or share a snack. Once a week go out of your way to find this person and talk with them.

Keep It Simple:

Promise yourself that the next time you see this person you will be polite and smile, no matter what is going on in your heart. Ask them how their day is going, and really listen to the answer. Commit to reaching out to them every time you see them.

From the Kitchen:
Courtney Luper's photo.
 
WARNING: This is going to be a new family favorite!!!!!

 PUMPKIN CREAM CHEESE BREAD
Yields 8 - Each mini loaf is 9 ...WW+ points
A lightened up Pumpkin Cream Cheese bread that everyone will love!!
Prep Time - 20 min
Cook Time - 25 min
Total Time - 1 hr


Pumpkin Bread
2 cups canned pumpkin
3 eggs
1 egg whites
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 t baking soda
2 t pumpkin pie spice
Cream Cheese filling
8 oz reduced fat cream cheese (room temperature or softened slightly)
4 tbsp sugar
1 egg
2 tsp flour
1 tsp vanilla

Instructions
Preheat oven to 350
Prepare one mini loaf pan (it should hold 8 loaves) or 2 9x5 loaf pans with nonstick spray

Bread Layers
In the bowl of your stand mixer or hand mixer combine pumpkin, eggs and egg white until smooth
In a separate medium bowl whisk together flour, sugars, baking soda & pumpkin pie spice
Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet mixing until just smooth, set aside

Cream Cheese Layer
In another bowl either for your stand mixer or hand mixer combine all ingredients until smooth
Bread Assembly
Pour or spoon half of the pumpkin bread mixture into the bottom of the mini loaf pan or the large loaf pan
Evenly divide the cream cheese mixture over the pumpkin bread mixture and smooth out using the back of a spoon
Pour the remaining pumpkin bread mixture over the cream cheese mixture, covering as much as you can
Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
Let cool for about 10-15 minutes and then remove from the pans

Notes:
Each mini loaf is 9 WW+ points, so divide as needed based on how many slices you get from the loaf

Nutritional Info:
Calories: 324 Total Fat: 2.8 g Saturated Fat: 1 g Trans Fat: 0 g Cholesterol: 85.2 mg
Sodium: 397.4 mg Total Carbs: 65.2 g Dietary Fiber: 2.5 g Sugars: 42.7 g Protein: 10.4 g


From the Spirit:
 
There were several things I learned or was reminded of with this and similar interviews:
  • I learned that many less-active members have loved ones on their knees daily petitioning the Lord for help in rescuing their loved one.
  • I learned that it is not all that easy or comfortable for a less-active member to just walk back into the Church. They need help. They need support. They need fellowship.
  • I learned we have less-active members who are trying and willing to find the path back to activity.
  • I learned that many less-active members will hold callings if asked.
  • I learned that a less-active member deserves to be treated as an equal and be viewed as a son or daughter of a loving God.
Over the years I have wondered how this interview might have gone had I approached her as a less-active Church member. I leave you to be the judge.
Reactivation has always been an important part of the work of the Lord. While the rescue is a responsibility of every member, holders of the Aaronic and Melchizedek Priesthood have the responsibility to lead out in this work. After all, that is what priesthood service is all about--bringing all people to the exalting covenants; bringing peace, happiness, and self-worth.
From the Book of Mormon you will recall when Alma the Younger discovered that the Zoramites had fallen away from the Church, he organized a reactivation team to rescue these people. As they approached their assignment, Alma pleaded with the Lord with these words:
"O Lord, wilt thou grant unto us that we may have success in bringing them again unto thee in Christ.
"Behold, O Lord, their souls are precious, and many of them are our brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee" (Alma 31:34-35; emphasis added).
The charge to rescue is based on one of the most fundamental doctrines of the Church.
"Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;
"For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him. ...
"And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!" (D&C 18:10-11, 15; emphasis added).
I have had the privilege of rescuing a few less-active members over my lifetime. Now when I help bring one back to Church activity, I don't visualize a single soul; I see six, seven, or more generations--thousands of souls. And then I think of the scripture: "Bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy" (D&C 18:15).
– Richard C. Edgley, “The Rescue for Real Growth“, April 2012 General Conference

From the Schmidt's:

This morning when I woke up I went right to the fridge to check the flowers. When I opened it I as shocked to see all the flowers and the water were frozen!  I was devastated!  I immediately called the wholesale flower shop.  They had the flowers I needed, but they would never be tinted in time for pick up this afternoon.  (they are closed on Saturdays)  SO, off I went to track own some roses in  white or hopefully peach.  I found white and one bunch of a darker peach...or at least dark with the protective outer pedals on the bud.  I grabbed both bunched, paid for them, and got them home in time to wire each one, give them all a quick cut, and got them into fresh water after turning down my fridge.  So, far all is well.  I've been watching them all day.. I check them every hour.  Needless to say, I missed the wedding, the grand exit of the newly married couple at the Temple doors, and the family luncheon right after.  BUT, I had to do it.  I couldn't NOT fix this.  This afternoon I will head down to the church building to help decorate for the reception tomorrow.  Then tomorrow I will put together the bridesmaids bouquets, the groom's men, the dad's, the mother's, and the grandmother's flowers.  Fun Fun!  Kyle and I decided I do this enough it's time to invest in a florist fridge I can hook up in my garage.  That way there will be no issues like this again with fresh flowers.  They are cheaper then I thought. 


Lexi is all caught up with her summer online class.  She missed a week with Girl's Camp.  Thankfully she is determined to get a good grade and worked double time this week to make up everything she missed.  She is taking a Science class this session.  Then she has one more class this summer.  That will be a math class.  Then she will be all set for her Junior year of High School.  It's hard to believe she will be a Junior.  She asked me earlier today if she still looked like a freshman.  I had to answer honestly....she does still look like a freshman, but that will change soon enough, I'm sure.  I told her it's not a bad thing to look younger then you really are.  No one believes that I am 48 either, or that I have a 26 year old daughter, or a 25 year old son.  I told Lexi some day that will be a blessing for her.  Funny how that works. 

So, I have a question.  Do you know people that only reach out to you when they need something?  I do.  Does it bother you that they want nothing to do with you unless they need something from you?  And then when that time comes, they try to sneak in the real reason why they are coming by.  Sad isn't it?  How do you deal with these types of people in your lives?  I would really like to know.  I'd love to hear your suggestions, so please leave a comment below.  As it turns out, we were not available when these people wanted to come over.  In fact, last week was quite busy for us.  Kevin had doctor's appointments.  I had errands to run and things for the wedding and Girl's Camp for Lexi.  It was just not a good time and these people ended up going to someone else for what they needed.  I think the thing that bothers me the most is that these people never invite us to go places with them, yet they invite others in our group to do all the time.  I know my husband is not in the best of shape to take a trip right now...but we have known these people for many, many years.  In fact, Kevin has known the one all of his life, and the other since he was just a little kid.  I have only known them since I met Kevin when I was 18...so 30 years, and it's been like this the entire time.
So, again, I would love to hear how you deal with this.  Please leave a comment below.

Enough of that.  I am waiting for my oldest daughter to come over , and my son to come home, so she can help me with the garland over the doors at the reception.  I need her to help hold some things as I arrange the flowers, burlap, lace, and tulle, the way I want it. 
I also need to help with a few other things too.  The mother of the groom had a lot of things so we will be using most of her stuff, which is A-Okay with me.  That just means less for me to haul down there. 

I think I mentioned this before, but I have been picking up things that I see because I know we will be having a couple weddings of our own soon.  Nothing has been etched in stone or anything, but things are moving closer to that point I'm sure. That's why my living room still looks like the house in Sanford and Sons.  (you know the old T.V. series)  I've got stuff all over the place.  Since we are still in the process of moving around rooms, I haven't put this stuff away anywhere so as to not mess anything up.  I figure if I pick things up a little at a time, that will make it less of a burden when the times comes, right?  (It sounds good in theory in my head at least.  LOL!)

Well, I should go.  I need to get my tennis shoes on, and fix my face so I don't scare people at the church.  Ha Ha.

Take care my friends.  Talk to you soon. 

 
From the Missionary:
 
Nothing from our missionary today.  We are still trying to process the letter he sent earlier this week.  Witnessing two suicides in one week!  Wow!  BUT, also standing right next to the person who jumped is unheard of, in my opinion.  I don't even know how to respond to that.  I am just so grateful Curtis is on his mission.  I know Heavenly Father is watching out for him and his companion, and I also know that this experience will have a lasting impact on them, but they will be able to use this experience to help someone else in the future.  How exactly?  I do not know.  I just know it will.
 
Quote of the Day:



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...