Saturday, May 2, 2015

Saturday is Nearly Over.

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) Late night quiet moments.  It gives me time to reflect on my day.  

2) Fridays!  I cannot tell you how grateful I am that today is Friday!  What a blessing!  What a blessing, indeed!

Goals for the Day:

1) Clean
2) Get ready to go have my MRI - remember NO Metal!  No jeans...wear sweats or something.
3) Write Curtis
4) Pick up stuff for dinner on Sunday
From the Camera:

Do you see that?  The sun shining through the cactus.  
That means it's gonna be a HOT one again today.
It was 99 degrees here yesterday.  Today will be slightly cooler.
I'm just not ready for the hot summer.  Not yet!

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea....

This idea is something I have done as well as received.  As many of you know, I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  One of the things our church is quite good at is taking care of their own as well as serving others in the church, the community, and even other parts of the country, as well as other countries.  We do not do it for the recognition, nor do we boast about the things we do as an organized religion simply to help others.  One of the things we feel very passionate about is service.  Service in pretty much every sense of the word.  After reading this act of kindness idea it reminded me of the countless meals members of my church have made for my family over the years.  We received meals around the time of the birth of all of our children, after the death of loved ones, when someone was very ill, and sometimes just because.  I know we have received many many meals.  I too have made meals for others over the years for other members during these same times in their lives  In fact, as a member of the LDS church two women are assigned to watch over me, help me, and report back to our church leaders if there are things I need help with.  I too have been assigned to do the same thing for two other women in our church.  We all have this assignment.  We check in with the ladies we have been assigned to each month and we report back each month.  This is how we try to help each other out.  It is pretty amazing how this works, and this has been a blessing in my life as I try to attend to the needs of those I am assigned to and also on the receiving end.  We call this Visiting Teaching.  I will also admit that I am not perfect at being a good Visiting Teacher.  I struggle at keeping up with my assignments.  After all, I am not perfect and life gets in my way a lot sometimes.  BUT, I am trying.  This "system", if you will, is pretty amazing and I can tell you countless stories of how this has blessed the lives of so many.  It is awesome!  

Cook and deliver a meal to a friend who needs it. Perhaps you have a friend who is busy with a new baby or sick child. Or maybe you have neighbors across the street who just moved in--they might not have had time to go to the grocery store! Bring someone a meal and save them the time; it will be a huge stress reliever!

Benefits:

This is a great way to show a friend how much you care about them. Plus, it feels good to give!

Step It Up:

You can call ahead and see if there is anything else you could do to help. Perhaps you could pick up a few things at the grocery store for them, or stay and clean a little bit or do some yard work they haven't had a chance to do. Take their car and fill it with gas, or offer to drive them to a doctor's appointment if their child is sick. Try to be as helpful as possible! You could even bring them two meals and let them know they can freeze one for later.

Keep It Simple:

Next time you make something that will freeze well double the recipe and make two meals. Stick one in the freezer and the next time you have a friend in need you have a ready-made dinner ready to drop by!
From the Kitchen:

3 Ingredient Banana Bread

1 box french vanilla cake mix
3 ripe bananas
2 eggs
Spray bundt pan and preheat oven to 350
Mix all ingredients and pour in pan bake 45 minutes.
Optional add nuts or chocolate chips

From the Spirit:

Penny Candy Lesson

When I was a kid we lived near a convenience store that sold penny candy.  For those of you who might be a little younger, this was candy that actually lived up to it’s professed name… candy that only cost a penny!  Our uncertain times of inflation have reached down to the youngest member of society and penny candies are rarely found any more.  As a kid it was one of my greatest joys to do down to the store and buy my very own candy.  Sour Patch Kids, Swedish fish, gummy bears… mmmm… my mouth just waters thinking about it all.  It was in this same store where I learned a very powerful lesson about honesty that has stayed with me my whole life.

To get the candy at the store you would go inside and get a small paper brown bag and carefully count the items one at a time as you put them into your bag.  This was no easy task for a young child with the attention span of a fruit fly, especially when counting dozens and dozens of little Swedish fish, only to devour them 15 minutes later.  You would then tell the cashier the number of candies you had in your bag and pay for them.  I don’t think they had the time or patience to deal with all of us kids.  The honor system was a real and living thing I saw each day.
One day I had gotten my little stash from the store, dutifully paid my 45 cents and gone outside to enjoy the “sugars” of my labors.  I decided on this particular day to count the penny candy again.  When I got done, I realized that I had mistakenly put too many pieces of candy into my little brown bag.  Then came the decision… a mammoth decision for me as a small child.  I didn’t have any more money… and I had extra candy.  Yes!!  Or… maybe I should go back inside and tell them I had too many pieces of candy and give the extra’s back.
Well, I struggled for a few minutes and ultimately decided to follow the counsel of my parents, Sunday school teachers, and the Holy Ghost and went inside and explained what had happened to the clerk.  A smile crossed their face and they said it was okay and that I could keep the extra candy.
My surprise and delight was only eclipsed by the feeling that was growing in my young heart.  It felt good to tell the truth.  It felt good to be honest.  I’m sure I struggled with honestly hundreds of times in the months following that incident and thousands of times since, but in that moment I knew the real rewards of true honesty.  I understood how the Holy Ghost comes into our lives as we are honest.

Each day we are faced with dozens and dozens of decisions.  In the face of peer pressure we too often make the wrong decision and stretch the truth, and distance ourselves from the Spirit of the Lord.  May be all remember the lessons of a small boy when facing these crossroads and choose the path that we know leads to happiness, both in this life and the life to come

From the Schmidt's:

I'm sitting here trying to decide if I really want to go have the MRI of my knee done today.  I'm not looking forward to going in the tube.  The rest of it, not a problem.  I just would prefer not going in the tube.  Know what I mean?  BUT, if I try to get out of it, my whole family is going to make me go.  Ugh!  I have to get in the shower in 15 minutes.  So, let's talk about something else for now.

I came home from work on Thursday just sick to my stomach.  It came on early in the morning while I was at work and continued until I got home.  I was awful by the time I got home.  I thought it was the medication the doctor gave me for my knee, but yesterday I had some of the same symptoms I had the day before.  Thankfully not even close to as bad as it was the day before.  

When I got home from work on Thursday I was afraid it would linger over to Friday.  So, I immediately prayed to me Heavenly Father asking that he would take this from me.  I knew I wouldn't be able to deal with that and work on Friday if it was as bad as it was right at that moment.  Within a half an hour my prayer was answered and my sickness went away.  

Now, I do not share this to boast in the least.  I share this because I am so grateful to my Heavenly Father for hearing my prayer and answering so quickly.  I am very grateful for my Heavenly Father and for the knowledge that I can turn to him in prayer with anything and he does hear my prayers.  And not only does he hear them, he is very much aware of me and he will help me through those tough times.  Even if my "tough time" is just a stomach bug.  What a blessing it is!  

Just like the other day, I know my Heavenly Father will help me get through my MRI.  I know he will calm me down and help me through my little anxiety issue.  It is such a wonderful feeling knowing that He is there for me.  That He is anxiously engaged in helping me with anything that is for a my good and well being, and those things that are righteous desires.  

It's about that time.  Time to get going.  

Kevin was going to come with me for moral support, but he is having some trouble of his own just trying to stand on his own today.  Kyle had to help him to his bed after he fell in the living room.  So, Kyle will stay with his dad while I go.  I think that is the hardest part of Kevin being down and sick.  Having to do some of those things alone.  I think I would always prefer to have a partner with me.  BUT, for some reason I need to do this alone today.  Just knowing Kevin would be there if he could gives me strength.  I love that man. Even after Kyle got him picked up and back in bed he still insisted on going with me.   

Well, I am back from getting my MRI.  

KEVIN CAME WITH ME!!!!!!

He insisted that we say a little prayer before we got out of the car.
I was very grateful for that.  

He managed to do okay going with me.

When we got home I had Kevin come to help him out of the car.  
He was very unsteady on his feet and needed some help to his bed.

That man amazes me.

Now not only is my knee sore, but now my lower back hurts after laying on that hard table for 25 minutes. 

I am so glad that is over!

When I got there they had my feel going in first which made me very happy.

I was okay through all the of test except when he announced that I only had 3 minutes left.

By then I was ready to be done.
I came so close to squeezing that little switch they give you to pull you out of the tube during that last 3 minutes.

Luckily I didn't squeeze it.
Now I am so tired.  

I think I will take a nap this afternoon.
Lexi and her friend are going to hang out tonight.
Kyle is home tonight.  His girlfriend is busy with her drill for the Army National Guard.

Danielle is over right now.  She doesn't have any plans either.  
We took a trip to pick Lexi and her friend up at Jump Street.
We bought the two of them dinner because they were both hungry.
Then we dropped Lexi off at her friends house to go swimming.
I told Lexi that it couldn't be a late one tonight.
We plan to pick Lexi up around 10 p.m. tonight.
Or should I say, I'm hoping Kyle will pick them up.

Then I think we will make a quick stop to the grocery store to pick up a few last minute things before Sunday.  We have a busy day tomorrow.  Lots to do.  Or should I say, Lexi has some things going on tomorrow.  She is getting a new calling tomorrow.  So, we have a few places to be for her.

This hasn't been as busy of a Saturday as some today, but I feel like this day has gone by super fast and I still have so much more that I needed to get done.  Know what I mean?  Oh well.

I should go.  I hope your day has been perfectly lovely.

Take care and we will talk again soon. 

From the Missionary:

Nothing today.....more later in the week.

Quote of the Day:
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...