Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Monday - Tuesday Happenings

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) My hair-dresser for telling me about this diet she was on. 
She lost a ton of weight and looks perfectly marvelous!  
I started the same diet last Tuesday and I am down 20 pounds!  
That's right in one week!  Love that!
Thank you Kendra! 

2) A missionary son that shares the things he learns and hears from his Priesthood leaders.  He met Quintin L. Cook in the Manhattan Temple last Saturday and Curtis shared a few of things he said as he shared his testimony.  WOW!  AND.....there was a meeting/broadcast with David R. Bednar while he was in the MTC that he shared some of the things they were told in that meeting too.  I love that!  Thanks Curtis for sharing. 

Goals for the Day:

1) Get through work today.  Tuesdays and Wednesdays are always our busiest days.
2) Run home to get Lexi to Mutual tonight.
They had a special meeting tonight with guess who?
David R Bednar!  That man has been busy.
3) Pick up Kevin prescription
4) Pick up a window
5) Pick up a platter
6) Make dinner
7) Get some things done around the house.  
8) Pick up Lexi from Mutual
9) Get things ready for work tomorrow
10) Get to bed early tonight.

From the Camera:

Aren't these card boxes pretty?
I want to make a few.


I watched a tutorial on how to make them.  It doesn't look too difficult. 
(I say that now, right?!!)
I'm sure I can make these.
I think these would be fun to give to friends or family sometime.

My sister made an interesting card for my Mom for Mother's Day.  It was a square, but when you opened it, it unfolded completely with several photos of everyone.  It was really cool.  

Isn't it cool?
I love it!
Did I show you the necklace my sister made me for my birthday?
Take a look!!!!

It's even prettier in person.  She sells these on Etsy too.  
Paperwad Bead Company is the name of her site.
If you get the chance, take a look.

I come from a family of creative people.  My Mom and Dad are incredibly talented in many creative ways, and each one of my sisters, and brother are quite talented as well.  It's pretty cool.  

From the Heart:
If you’ve ever been out of work and had a hard time finding a job, you can probably sympathize with those who are unemployed. Struggling to find a job can often make other things in your life fall apart. For many people, being unemployed means not being able to afford health insurance, child care, or even have the means to provide their family with regular meals.

Benefits

Searching for a job is not only time-consuming, it can also be an extremely emotionally-draining experience. You can show your unemployed friends support simply by being there to help out with whatever he or she needs help with.

Step It Up

Many people who feel guilty accepting money from their friends will be more accepting of gifts that help their families. If you have a friend who is unemployed, offer to make their family a meal every week, or buy their children new shoes for school. You could even just invite them to share a meal with your family every once in a while.

Keep It Simple

You can also help an unemployed friend by helping them find the resources they need. Check in to food banks, churches or other local charities that may be able to help them through their situation.

From the Kitchen:
Stuffed Green Pepper Casserole
Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 2 ½ cups cooked white rice
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 large green bell peppers, diced
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 (29-ounce) can diced tomatoes
  • 3 (14-ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 2 (14-ounce) cans corn, drained
  • ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350.
Brown the beef in a large pan, drain and set aside.
Add oil to the pan you used for your beef. Cook peppers and onions in oil until they begin to get tender.
Add beef back in, along with diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, corn, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir well.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add in rice and mix well.
Transfer mixture to a 13×9 baking dish and bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly.

From the Spirit:

I heard something quite profound on the radio today coming home from work.  I listen to KTAR mostly to get the traffic report, but I stay tuned in to hear the afternoon show too.  Today they were talking about religion.  AND, today they announced that the world is getting away from organized religion and the influence it can have on children, and will that impact our future??  
To which I said out loud....of course it will!
Hence the reason for multiple quotes today...

The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature. (Teachings of Ezra Taft Benson, pg. 79)

The only safety we have in the world for our children is what they build within themselves. We can make restrictions against drinking and smoking, and we can make regulations to guide the affairs of people. We can throw all the protections possible around them. But after all, the thing that holds them in, the final test, is what is inside of them. They must be able to stand alone. (F. Burton Howard, Marion G. Romney: His Life and Faith, pg. 153)

I love this statement from Elder Bednar, on the importance 
of the Home....
Brothers and sisters, think of the total amount of time in a week devoted to doctrinally based, spirit-filled instruction for our young people through the programs of the Church. Let's assume they go to seminary. That might yield three or four hours of quality instruction during the course of the week. What would they receive in church on Sunday? Thirty minutes in sacrament meeting; thirty minutes in Sunday School; and thirty minutes in Young Men's, Young Women's, or Gospel Doctrine. A total of maybe five, six, or seven hours for the entire week, if we are optimistic. Think of the evil influences in the world. Will the Church and its programs alone safeguard you and me and our children in an increasingly wicked world? The answer is no. Please do not misunderstand this statement--I would not trust my children exclusively to the programs of the Church. I love the Church, but the Church operates as a support to you and to me as we create a home that is a house of learning. First and foremost, the responsibility is ours as parents to create a Christ-centered, spirit-filled home environment where the Holy Ghost can teach and testify to our children. If they know the why, they will quickly learn the how.
Brothers and sisters, with all the energy of my soul, I express appreciation for being here with you today. I have gained much from your faith as you have assembled here. I hope the Spirit has instructed each of us in things we can do better to follow the admonition of Elder Wirthlin to create a home that is a house of learning.
I testify that Jesus is the Christ. I know He lives. I know He appeared with his Father to the boy prophet Joseph Smith. And I testify the living Savior directs the affairs of His living church through apostles and prophets in these latter days. I so testify in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

From the Schmidt's:

This weekend was awesome.  We had all of our kids home and we all went to church together.  We all talked to Curtis together.  All of us girls went to see my Mom and spent some time talking with her and Dad and my sisters too.  It was a perfectly lovely day.

Curtis shared a lot of stories and experiences with us.  It was so good to see his face and talk with him.  He is so happy!  That makes missing him for two years worth it all the more!

Let me set this up a bit for you....
When Curtis was set apart as a missionary by our Stake President, my sister-in-law suggested that we ask for permission to write down the words of the blessing.  You see, their Stake President allowed them to do this and they were glad they did and believe me, I seriously considered asking.  BUT.....
For some reason doing that just didn't sit right with me, and I never asked.  Mostly because I thought it would take away from the Spirit. 
So, I never asked.  

One of the things Curtis shared was a meeting/broadcast he attended in the MTC.  He said Elder Bednar told them do not write down everything you hear in meetings because it's like you are writing your own personal plates.  He said doing this gives you the account of the words spoken - the record, but it takes away from the Spirit of the message.  He said if you feel impressed to write down words spoken, only write down your impressions or key points.  He said the Lord indicates in Section 8 of the Doctrine and Covenants that revelation frequently comes as thoughts to the mind and feelings to the heart.  So. listening to the speaker is not important, but paying attention to the promptings of the Holy Ghost is very important.  Now, I know more about why I was almost compelled to not inquire about writing down the words of the blessing Curtis received the night he was set apart.  

The Spirit was so strong that night Curtis was set apart.  Sure, I remember some of the words spoken that night as Curtis was set apart, and I am sure as time goes by I will forget.  BUT, I so hope I never forget the Spirit we felt that night.  Sure, seeing Curtis get set apart as a missionary was a wonderful experience, but I try to point this out to my children as often as I can, the most important part was the Spirit we felt that night as we listened and watched.  I love those moments, especially when my children are present.  They are the best!

These are some of the things Danielle has come back and thanked me for teaching her.  AND these are the things I am totally humbled by each and every time she, or another one of my children, remind Kevin or I of these things.  These have become some of our most cherishes moments as parents to our four children, and this is partly why we say our children are our greatest blessings.  I love those kids.  Even when they are ornery and difficult. 

I attended a beautiful wedding reception Saturday for a young lady in our ward who married a young man from another ward in our stake.  The reception was in the backyard of another member, in another ward, in our stake as well.  It was so pretty.  Everything looked absolutely beautiful!  I know the grooms mother had a big hand in a lot of the decorations, simply because I know how talented she is.  I have seen her work at her own daughter's wedding reception and I have worked with her on a Stake Committee too.  She is pretty wonderful!  I love her.  Anyway, my point in mentioning this is that I took some serious notes Saturday.  Believe me.  Why you say?  Oh, I'm pretty sure my two older children will be getting married here sometime soon.  I may not know exactly when, but it will happen soon enough.  Hence the reason I have been shopping around for things.  Honestly, I have been searching and looking around for a few years now.  Oh, the things I have seen.  AND oh the things I would love to get my hands on.  Fun Fun!  It's been interesting.
Tonight I picked up a couple windows and frames,
and a platter.  This weekend I picked up some drink dispensers from a shop here in town.  Danielle and I have been picking up little things (sometimes big) here and there when we come across them.  So, we have several totes in my closet full of things.  It's been fun.  So, we will see what happens down the road, but this Momma isn't rich and she needs to prepare well in advance to pull off some of the things I know at least Danielle is expecting.  It will be interesting to see how things come together.  Danielle even told me about a piece she found that she needed a truck for.  She called around but couldn't get her friend in time to help.  So, she lost the item. Bummer!  Hopefully another will come around in the near future.  Love it!  

Well, I need to go.  Lots to do.  

Take care my friends.  Hope your week is going well and you are happy and healthy.  Take care and we will talk again soon.

From the Missionary:

Nothing new from our Missionary today.
Later in the week.

Quote of the Day:
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...