Thursday, May 28, 2015

It's been a busy week.

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1)  My neighbors.  We have great neighbors that are so good to us.

2)  My membership in my church and it's teachings.  I had something interesting happen today that reminded me just how incredibly blessed I am.

Goals for the Day:

1) Find time to get a nap today.  I stayed up too late last night.
2)  Go out for a Bahama Bucks with Danielle, Chance, and Chance's Dad, and Kyle and Morgan, and Kevin, Lexi and I.  Chance's Dad leaves for Montana tomorrow.
3) Dinner for the family
4) Get things ready for work tomorrow
5) Get to bed early tonight

Photos of the Day:

I have seat cushions for my patio furniture now!  I am happy.  Now all of us can sit together on the porch when it rains and watch it, or sit and talk when the weather cools off, or whatever.  It's the little things that make me happy.

This is a sign I picked up for Danielle.  She has been looking and looking for something like this.  If I would have had it together, we could have made one ourselves.  Oh well.  Another Facebook find.

These are a few photos of us at the shooting range right by our house.  Lexi shot like a pro.  She only had a couple crazy shots.  She shot the fasteners right off the target base.  Other than that, she would hit the targets in the green area consistently, and this was her first time shooting.  Not bad for a first timer.

Kyle shoots pretty well too.  He has a lot of fun shooting....

Kevin does pretty good too.  I'm just glad he is up and mobile.

Me, oh, let's just say I have a lot of practice ahead of me before I can consider myself good at this.  

Lexi and the shotgun....


More of Kyle

More of Kevin


From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, here is another idea.....
Sometimes it’s hard to put into words how much we care about someone. A poem can be a great way to express just how you feel.
You can use poetry to describe your deepest thoughts, or just be for fun, to make someone you love laugh. You can give someone a poem for their birthday or another special occasion, or just to simply say you were thinking of them.

Benefits

Writing a poem for someone will let them know how special they are to you. Writing poetry can also be relaxing for you.

Step It Up

Write a poem for someone special in your life, like a parent, grandparent or friend. It will make them feel special and loved.

Keep It Simple

Not the best writer? Find a poem that describes how you feel about someone and read it to them.

From the Kitchen:

CROCK POT PEPPER STEAK
2 pounds beef sirloin, cut into 2 inch strips
(you can buy pre-cut beef strips also)
garlic powder to taste-maybe 1/4 teaspoon
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cube beef bouillon
1/2 cup hot water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with liquid
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon white sugar
pepper to taste-you have salt in soy and bouillon cube- you can use low salt soy
2 large green and or red bell peppers, cut in strips
(tastes better if you add peppers in the last hour or two so so they don't get mushy)
Sprinkle strips of sirloin with garlic powder to taste. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat the vegetable oil and brown the seasoned beef strips. Transfer to a slow cooker.
Mix bouillon cube with hot water until dissolved, then mix in cornstarch until dissolved. Pour into the slow cooker with meat. Stir in onion, stewed tomatoes, soy sauce, sugar, and salt. Add peppers two hours before done.
Cover, and cook on High for 3 to 4 hours, or on Low for 6.
You can serve over noodles, rice or potatoes.

From the Spirit:

The Word of Wisdom allows us to know that the Lord is vitally concerned about the health of His Saints. He has graciously given us counsel for improving our health, endurance, and resistance to many diseases.

The temporal promise for obedience is: They "shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones; ... [they] shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint." (D&;C 89:18, 20.)

Below is the Word of Wisdom found in D&C section 89...

 Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—
 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—
 Given for a principle with promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.
 Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation—
 That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.
 And, behold, this should be wine, yea, pure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.
 And, again, strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.
 And again, tobacco is not for the body, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.
 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.
 10 And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—
 11 Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.
 12 Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
 13 And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
 14 All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, not only for man but for the beasts of the field, and the fowls of heaven, and all wild animals that run or creep on the earth;
 15 And these hath God made for the use of man only in times of famine and excess of hunger.
 16 All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or above the ground—
 17 Nevertheless, wheat for man, and corn for the ox, and oats for the horse, and rye for the fowls and for swine, and for all beasts of the field, and barley for all useful animals, and for mild drinks, as also other grain.
 18 And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, shall receive health in their navel and marrow to their bones;
 19 And shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;
 20 And shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint.
 21 And I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the  destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen.

I have always felt, however, that the greater blessing of obedience to the Word of Wisdom and all other commandments is spiritual.

Listen to the spiritual promise: "All saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments, ... shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures." (D&;C 89:18, 19; italics added.) – Ezra Taft Benson, “A Principle With a Promise,” Ensign (CR) April 1983

From the Schmidt's:

Wow!  I never thought I could lose 26 pounds in such a short amount of time, minus a few days for a nasty cold.  Not bad for 2 1/2 weeks.  Right?!!  I'm a happy camper!

It looks like we have a surgery date set for Kevin now.  His surgery is set for the end of June at St. Joseph's/Barrow's in Phoenix.  It took forever for the surgeon to get everything they needed in order to schedule this.  We started this process back in February.  Anyway, I'm just glad we have a date set now.  We are hoping for major improvement for Kevin and his back!  Fingers crossed!

We have had a great week.  Sunday Chance (Danielle's boyfriend) was ordained an Elder.  Monday we went shooting as a family for FHE.  Wednesday we went out with Chance, his Dad, Danielle, Kyle, Morgan (Kyle's girlfriend), Lexi, Kevin and I to spend some time together before Chance's Dad left for Montana today.  Then Wednesday during the day we got a nice letter from our missionary.  It's been a wonderful week!  

Tonight I have a doctor's appointment, so I am rushing to finish this post so I can get out the door on time.  I need to call and reschedule my physical therapy appointments for my knee.  I totally forgot all about my appointment last Thursday.  Yikes!  

Tomorrow is Friday.  I cannot wait for this weekend!  I am so looking forward to sleeping in Saturday morning.  Kyle finally received one of the birthday presents we got him.  It's a drone with a video camera attached.  It's pretty cool.  We have been having fun with it, flying it around the house and neighborhood.  I heard on the radio that Arizona is trying to pass a law that would require drone owners to have a permit to fly their drones anywhere but on their own property.  I can see why.  Just imagine the places these things can go and the kinds of things you might see.  Gotcha thinking doesn't it?

Today I heard and awful story about a couple living here in Arizona that abused their 4 year old little girl to the point that she passed away.  Yesterday the radio announced that she was only 15 pounds and was severely abused.  Today they announced that she was also sexually assaulted too.  How sad is that?  The last time authorities were able to check the little girl out was back in 2014 because the parents were so good at hiding their location.  The radio also announced that these parents have been charged with first degree murder and their two other (younger than the little girl) have been taken and are in foster care.  How sad is that?  Stories like this just break my heart.  I can hardly bare listening to them on the radio.  A poor defenseless little girl who probably couldn't even talk, because I seriously doubt these parents (people...they don't deserve the title of parent) probably never took the time to teach her how to speak.  So sad.  What makes me even more nuts about this whole thing is that the family is from Arizona too.  It makes me happy to know that this little girl will return to live with her Heavenly Father and is in a much better place now.  It's stories like this that make me grateful for the Plan of Salvation each and every time I hear things like this.  This knowledge puts my mind at ease when I think about this poor little girl.  My hope is that her siblings will be well taken care of and not suffer further abuse while they are in the foster care system.  

Sorry to leave on such a sad note.  Read my sons letter below and that will cheer you up some.  Take care my friends and we will talk again soon.

From the Missionary:

Hey Everyone,

The Bronx is pretty cool this time of year.  Everyone is outside just hanging out opening fire hydrants and stuff.  It is getting pretty hot now.  Some days are better then others, but the humidity is definitely the worst part.  When we walk anywhere we end up drenched in sweat.  It's pretty awful.  This last Sunday we walked with an investigator to church.  He is from Nigeria which I assume is pretty hot, but he said the weather in New York is the worst he's felt.  I am pretty surprised at how well I have been able to adjust here and just as a missionary in general.  We had interviews with President yesterday and he said that a few missionaries have said that I am one of the most prepared missionaries that they have seen.  It really meant a lot to here that, even though I don't feel quite that way.  It makes me happy to know that I came out at this time and not a year ago.  I'm happy I'm here now and having the experiences that I am having.  I love you all and hope you have an awesome week.

Love,

Elder Schmidt
Sent from my iPod

Quote of the Day:





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...