Monday, May 25, 2015

Family Life

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) Long weekends spent with my family, sleeping in, moving furniture, talking, laughing, and enjoying each other's company.

2) My husband who constantly reminds me each and every day why I married him.  I love that man.  

Goals for the Day:

This section should really be named "Goals for the weekend", but we can adapt...
1) Get plenty of rest this weekend in order to get rid of this cold.
2) Drink lots of water.
3) Move bedrooms around
4) Clean
5) Get ready to order flowers for a friends wedding next month.  Fresh flowers!  Love it!
6) Make a trip to Home Depot or Lowe's

From the Camera:

I've been busy again...
This first picture was a couple candle holders, a watering can, and a picture frame I picked up from a girl in town, she is also a member of one of the many Facebook groups I belong to.
Can you guess why I am collecting things?


No, I didn't pick up new living room furniture.  BUT, I did pick up two awesome benches for a very low price on another Facebook group.  That's right, I said TWO!  Two for about 1/4 of the price of the average brand new one.  AND these both have character I could never find with a brand new one.  I plan to put one in my bedroom at the foot of our bed.  This photo doesn't begin to show off the bench.  I will have to take a few other photos myself.  I plan to paint them both.  Maybe some kind of grey color or something.  Will will see.  


Then I picked up these three nesting wooden baskets with the chalkboard fronts.  I am loving these and cannot wait to use them.


I picked up these short little bushy plants too.  Aren't they cute?


This clock I found for a steal!  It stands up on it's own with an easel.  I love it!  



I found this tray cheap too.  I have been looking and looking for something old looking with just enough flair to display in my living room.  I love the mirror in the bottom.  Doesn't it look vintage?  Love that!



This wire basket I got from another Facebook group.  It has broken tile pieces all around the sides of each basket.  I like the color.

These are just a few of the things I have found this week.  There are few other things too, like candle sticks, topiary trees, industrial letters that light up, fancy picture frames, and large planters.  I am having fun collecting things and one day soon I will be able to use all of these things.  In the meantime, I am having fun and I can't wait to see what next week brings. 

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another great idea...

If you’ve ever moved, you probably know how tiring it can be. Do you know someone who is moving? Perhaps you have some good friends are moving to another city, or a close neighbor who is moving to a different community.
If you are attending a college or university, your friends probably move quite frequently. Lend a hand to a friend or neighbor who is moving and volunteer to help them pack or unpack.

Benefits

Moving can be stressful, and exhausting! So by helping someone move, you’ll be removing a huge burden from their shoulders. Working together and helping out will give a chance to enhance and strengthen your friendship with that person, while getting to know them better.

Step It Up

Let it be known to your friends and family that you will always make time to help them pack, unpack or move when they could use the help. Then, follow through on your commitment. Go out of your way to offer your assistance to others who are moving, before they even ask. If you aren’t physically able to help them move, consider helping in other ways, like offering to watch someone’s kids while they move, or bringing them a meal.

Keep It Simple

If you’re a busy person, who might not have time to help people move every weekend. Why not assist those around you when you can. Perhaps you can offer to move someone’s bed if you have a larger vehicle. Or just spend a couple hours helping a friend out every now and then. Even the smallest amount of effort counts!
From the Kitchen:




I Want to Marry You Cookies



Super delicious cookies, so good, it's reported that they've been know to elicit marriage proposals...
Author: 
Recipe type: Cookies
Serves: 2 dozen
Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 ¼ cups light brown sugar
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 cup uncooked rolled (or old fashioned) oats - not quick oats.
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips, extra for garnishing, if desired*
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, extra for garnishing, if desired*
  • 1 cup roughly chopped, toasted pecans, extra for garnishing, if desired*
Instructions
  1. In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat until melted. Remove from the heat.
  2. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and stir until sugars are incorporated and smooth. Chill the mixture for 10 minutes.
  3. Remove from the refrigerator and stir in the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla.
  4. Add the flour, oats, baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, and cinnamon and mix together.
  5. Stir in the white chocolate chips, chocolate chips and pecans.
  6. Roll by hand into medium-size balls or use a scoop, and place on sheet pans. If desired, tuck extra chips and pecans over tops of dough mounds for a lovely appearance.
  7. Chill, on sheet pan for 30 minutes.
  8. Preheat the oven to 325˚F. Remove the cookies from the refrigerator and bake for 14-18 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool for several minutes on pan, then transfer to cooling rack.
  9. Watch the proposals coming pouring in!!! :)
Notes
I can't verify this but they say that these cookies are known to inspire marriage proposals. I can verify that they're crazy-good!
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 24-36

From the Spirit:

The Power of the Priesthood

President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
April 2010

 I was in a distant city. After a conference we were ordaining and setting apart leaders. As we concluded, the stake president asked, “Can we ordain a young man to be an elder who is leaving for the mission field?” The answer, of course, was yes.
As the young man came forward, he motioned for three brethren to follow and stand in for his ordination.
I noticed on the back row a carbon copy of this boy, and I asked, “Is that your father?”
The young man said, “Yes.”
I said, “Your father will ordain you.”
And he protested, “But I’ve already asked another brother to ordain me.”
And I said, “Young man, your father will ordain you, and you’ll live to thank the Lord for this day.”
Then the father came forward.
Thank goodness he was an elder. Had he not been, he soon could have been! In the military they would call that a battlefield commission. Sometimes such things are done in the Church.
The father did not know how to ordain his son. I put my arm around him and coached him through the ordinance. When he was finished, the young man was an elder. Then something wonderful happened. Completely changed, the father and son embraced. It was obvious that had never happened before.
The father, through his tears, said, “I didn’t get to ordain my other boys.”
Think how much more was accomplished than if another had ordained him, even an Apostle.
While the priesthood is presently all over the world, we call on every elder and high priest, every holder of the priesthood to stand, like Gideon’s small but powerful force of 300, in his own place. We now must awaken in every elder and high priest, in every quorum and group, and in the father of every home the power of the priesthood of the Almighty.
The Lord said that “the weak things of the world shall come forth and break down the mighty and strong ones.” 26
The prophet Nephi also told of “the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended upon the saints of the church of the Lamb, and upon the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered upon all the face of the earth” and said that “they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory.” 27
We need everyone. The tired or worn out or lazy and even those who are bound down with guilt must be restored through repentance and forgiveness. Too many of our priesthood brethren are living below their privileges and the Lord’s expectations.
We must go forward, confident of the supernal power of the priesthood. It is a source of strength and encouragement to know who we are and what we have and what we must do in the work of the Almighty.
The Lord has said, “I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise.” 28
Homes without the priesthood are to be watched over and ministered to by the quorums of the priesthood. In this manner no blessings will be found wanting in any dwelling within the Church.
The authority of the priesthood is with us. After all that we have correlated and organized, it is now our responsibility to activate the power of the priesthood in the Church. Authority in the priesthood comes by way of ordination; power in the priesthood comes through faithful and obedient living in honoring covenants. It is increased by exercising and using the priesthood in righteousness.
Now, fathers, I would remind you of the sacred nature of your calling. You have the power of the priesthood directly from the Lord to protect your home. There will be times when all that stands as a shield between your family and the adversary’s mischief will be that power. You will receive direction from the Lord by way of the gift of the Holy Ghost.
The adversary is not actively disturbing our Church meetings—perhaps only occasionally. By and large we are free to assemble as we wish without much disruption. But he and those who follow him are persistent in attacking the home and the family.
The ultimate end of all activity in the Church is that a man and his wife and their children might be happy at home, protected by the principles and laws of the gospel, sealed safely in the covenants of the everlasting priesthood.
Every law and principle and power, every belief, every ordinance and ordination, every covenant, every sermon and every sacrament, every counsel and correction, the sealings, the calls, the releases, the service—all these have as their ultimate purpose the perfection of the individual and the family, for the Lord has said, “This is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.” 30
I bear witness of the power of the priesthood given to the Church to protect us and guide us. And because we have that, we have no fear of the future. Fear is the opposite of faith. We move forward, certain that the Lord will watch over us, particularly in the family. Of Him I bear witness in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
From the Schmidt's:

Kyle's birthday was Friday.  He spent the day with his girlfriend.  She and her family took him out to dinner.  He had a good time.  Then he went up to Show Low with his girlfriend for her class reunion.  They had a good time.  As soon as Kevin and I got home from all of our meetings Kyle was gone again spending time with his girlfriend.  I had to laugh.  Kevin and I use to do the same thing.

I have to say it's been pretty quiet around her without Kyle.  I thought it was bad without Curtis, but WOW!  When both boys are gone it's super quiet.  So, Lexi and I spent time rearranging bedroom furniture.  Kevin and I graduated to a king size bed.  We needed one for so long now.  I'm sure I told you....
Remember I mentioned that we got the mattress, box springs and bed frame for 1/2 the price of the mattress.  Below is a photo of our mattress set.  I loved the bed too!  BUT we decided to NOT get the bed.  It's pretty and the price was awesome. BUT......


I found these gates that I fell in love with! 
The bed was $500.  The gates would have cost $120 each plus shipping.  So, about half the amount of the bed.  Even that was more then I wanted to spend.  So, I had to search for another option.  I think I found one that will give me the big bang I was looking for in a headboard, but with a super small price tag.  More on my headboard later....It's still in the developing stages.  I will share just as soon as I can, I promise.  I can't wait for you to see it!


Kevin and I slept on the new bed for the first time last night.  Oh my goodness!  I absolutely love the new mattress.  LOVE it!  We had one of those memory foam mattresses, and I love it too....except, I think I am allergic to the chemicals used to make it or something.  Every time I slept on it I would break out in hives.  So, the change has been wonderful so far.  LOVING IT!  Lexi will use the memory foam mattress in her room now....Hence the reason for all the rearranging of furniture lately.  It's not easy when Kyle isn't here to help.  Lexi and I did it all by ourselves.  That's right, us women folk.  ~smile~smile~

Today was a special day for this young man (see the photo below).  He was ordained to the office of Elder.  This is our daughter's boyfriend with his father.  I was in tears as I watched his father lay his hands upon his son's head to ordain him to the Melchizedek Priesthood.  It was such an awesome thing to see.  Then to see them hug right after.  I only wish his mother could have come down from Montana to see this.  My heart aches for her.  I know how hard it must have been to stay behind when she wanted so badly to be here for her son's special day.  As a parent you never want to miss any of your son or daughter's milestone moments in life.  This surely was a milestone for this young man.  We are so happy for him.



Chance insisted that Danielle get in a photo too.  Aren't they cute together?  I think so.  


Before Kevin, Lexi, and I left to go to Chance's ward, we got a call from the Stake Office.  I could hear Kevin talking to the person on the other end.  All I could hear was the Stake President would like to meet with you and your wife around 4:30 today.  That doesn't happen very often around here.  So, as you can imagine, I was a little shocked and worried too.  No, no, let me re-phase that....I was beginning to freak out a little.  When we got to the building we were a little early because Kevin thought the meeting was scheduled for 4, not 4:30.  Obviously, Kevin was a little freaked out too.  He usually never forgets a detail with something like this.  In fact, he is the one reminding me usually, not the other way around.  So we spent some time talking to the full-time missionaries while we waiting in the foyer of the church building.  They literally were sitting and enjoying the air conditioned building before they set out in the heat again.  I felt sorry for them.  It's not even the hottest part of our summer yet, and they are already trying to escape the heat.  Poor missionaries.  I'm getting side tracked....sorry.
So, back to our meeting.   Well, we meet with our Stake President, several Bishops in various wards in our stake, and 4 other couples.  They were instructed to make us aware that Curtis would be required to purchase an iPad to use on his mission.  Well, our wonderful Bishop already took care of that and made sure we were all set to buy one before Curtis made it to the MTC.  So, we just sat back and listened to as the Stake President informed the other parents.  I am so glad our Bishop made sure we were aware of this early on.  What a blessing that is!  I love that man!

You see, Curtis is serving in a mission that uses the iPad all the time.  Not all missions are doing that yet.  In fact, before too long, all missionaries will be required to own an iPad before they reach the MTC.  Our Stake President said that because the church has embraced technology like this, it has improved the way missionaries are reporting on prospective members to church leaders now.  It use to be that the missionaries would be required to fill out lengthy reports.  Now all the have to do is download their trackers, calendars, planners notes, contacts, with details on the  members involved, to the church leaders.  The Stake President said they get so much more information this way.  I think it's an awesome thing.  
Not to mention how easy it is to get a hold of Curtis or for him to get a hold of us on days like Mother's Day and Christmas.  It's been great! 

So, we left that meeting feeling blessed that we have a Bishop that really watches out for us and takes the time to help us become prepared for these types of things.  I know I have said this time and time again, but we have an awesome Bishop.  We know he has been placed in that calling to help us, and help many others too.  We are so grateful for him and his family.  They sacrifice so much for us.  We love them all.  They are awesome!

From the Missionary:

Nothing from our missionary today.  We won't hear from him until next week.  

Quote of the Day:




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...