Saturday, April 11, 2015

Saturday is a Special Day!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) My family.

2) The sunshine, the birds singing, and the cool breeze blowing.  I love that about early Saturday mornings.  

Goals for the Day:

1) Get to the bank to add Kevin to my account.  (Something we have been needing to do for a LONG time.)  We use to bank with my employer, but we stopped doing that because it just wasn't convenient.  The bank was only in Phoenix and that was a pain.  So, I opened an account with a bank locally, but Kevin wasn't up for going with me at the time.  So, this has been a goal for a long time now.

2)  Get to the post office

3) Return a few things to family members

4) Get a haircut.

5) Clean

6) Laundry

7) Get clothes ready for church tomorrow.

From the Camera:

For several years now, Lexi has enjoyed polishing her nails.  She could spend hours doing this too.  In fact, most of the time I see her will several different colors of nail polish on at the same time.  I've been wanting to do something just with Lexi for a while now.  So, yesterday afternoon I splurged a little and Lexi got her nails done.  Now, she just got a manicure.  No fake nails for Lexi.  She did get the gel nail polish though....but look how nice her natural nails look!  She has her Dad's nail beds.  They are long and beautiful.  Danielle has them too.  Me, I don't know where I got my nail beds, because both of my parents have nice nail beds.  My nail beds are short.  I remember before Lexi had her open heart surgery, her finger nails actually had bumps on them.  The doctor told us this was a sign or symptom of the heart condition she had.  Well, I am proud to report that it doesn't appear that she has this problem now.  

Displaying IMG_3649.JPG
I did do something nice for me too....I got my toes done. 
This photo shows my puffy toes.  I walked all day in these flip flops yesterday and the band around the upper part of my foot was tight.  So, my feet swelled up a little last night.  Sorry for the puffy feet.
Displaying IMG_3661.JPG
I have to say, the pedicure felt so wonderful.  I haven't done something like that for myself in quite a while.  In fact, the last time I was at my doctor she asked me when was the last time I did something special just for me.  I couldn't even come up with anything.  How sad is that?!  I know it was because her question caught me off guard, because I do things once in a while, I just couldn't remember them.  So, now I can go back next week and actually show her what I did for myself.  Toes!  Won't she be thrilled to see those?! LOL!

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea....

Help build a house for someone in need with Habitat for Humanity. Donate as little as one Saturday of your time and you can say you helped build a home for someone. Or you can help with home repairs or re-modeling. There are numerous ways to get involved with Habitat for Humanity.

Benefits:

Research shows that nearly 2 billion people around the world live in slum housing and over 100 million are homeless. By participating with Habitat for Humanity, you are giving someone the gift of a place to call home. You are helping to provide shelter to those in need, and letting the recipients know that they matter and are welcome in your community.

Step It Up:

Become an advocate for Habitat for Humanity. Tell everyone you know about the program and invite them to participate. Sign up to help build a house, but also sign up to help with their home outlet stores. Donate housing materials and tools you don't need. When you go to build a house, bring snacks to share with the other volunteers and staff.

Keep It Simple:

If you are short on time and resources, encouragement will do! Simply take the time to thank the staff and volunteers at your local Habitat for Humanity office. Let them know that the work they do is important. And perhaps the next time a neighbor needs a hand fixing the sink or maintaining the yard, offer to help.
Have you ever done something like build a house for someone before?  I can honestly say that I have not!  BUT, my husband has.  We moved to El Paso, Texas for about 18 months when my husband worked for Home Depot and they volunteered to help Habitat for Humanity build a house for some families.  It was hard work but, Kevin has good memories of spending time on the roof of that house.  I think everyone comes away with that good feeling whenever we help others.  Isn't that what it's all about?  Helping others along the way.  I love that!  These posts about acts of kindness are on my posts each day as a reminder to myself that I need to do more for others.  I get busy with the details of my day and I forget that there is something more important that I could be doing with my time...or at least something more meaningful.  These are things I need to improve on.  These ideas help me remember and use these ideas to find ways to help someone in need.  I hope you understand that, and I sincerely hope that one or some of these ideas inspire you to reach out and help someone out too.  
From the Kitchen:

Roasted Garlic Chicken Puffs

Ingredients:
1 lb chicken breasts
2 oz pkgs cream cheese
1/2 cup shredded Swiss
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar
2 tbsp fresh chopped garlic
2 tsp chives
1/2 cup green onions

Cook chicken and shred into fine chunks. Add minced garlic to cooking chicken and cook until garlic is browned/reduced. Place remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl, add warm chicken mix and incorporate. Spoon apps 2-3 tbsp of filling into canned crescent roll and cook as per directions. It is better to over stuff the rolls and have it ooze from the sides. I recommend buying at least 4 cans of the large flaky rolls as the mixture goes a long way. Enjoy!

From the Spirit:

All through the scriptures the loftier expectation is expressed by the Lord and His apostles: Believe, repent, obey the ordinances, walk in the light of the Spirit, endure in faith--yes! But also, manifest your discipleship in civility, in gentility and tender compassion, in kindness and consideration, in patience and forbearance and refusal to condemn, in forgiveness and mercy. – Marion D. Hanks, “More Joy and Rejoicing,” Ensign (CR), November 1976, p.31

From the Schmidt's:

It's early for me!  I am up and almost done with my blog post before 9 a.m.  That's a record for me.  Usually I sleep in on Saturdays.  Not today I guess.  Which is fine with me, we have a lot to do today.  Kyle and Lexi are still asleep.  Snoring even.  LOL!

I had an interesting thing happen to me last week that has had me bothered for days now.  Do you ever have someone come into your life for a brief moment, but they leave a lasting impression on you that just sticks with you?  Well, that happened to me.  

Last week I was on my way to work and I get off the freeway at 32nd street so I can stop at the QT on Indian School between 32nd and 24th pretty much each morning.  Sometimes I visit a different QT in Tempe, depending on my route to work and the time of day that I am traveling.  This particular morning I was in Phoenix.  I had just stopped at the QT and was headed down Indian School to stop and turn at the light at 24th Street.  The light was red and all the cars were stopped there for quit a while...or at least it seemed like a long time.  There were a couple people in the crosswalk, but one man stayed in the middle of the crosswalk.  He was standing between the two lanes.  He kind of walked closer to the car ahead of me and started to fumble with the ties on his pajama bottoms.  I thought for sure he was going to take them down or something....I was so not amused.  In fact, I was more concerned that I had no place to go and was stuck there having to watch this.  As soon as he was done tightening up the tie on his pants, he walked over to the car in front of me and almost demanded some money from the person in the car.  When the man refused he walked up to my car.  He tapped on the window and at that moment the light turned green.  Traffic was backed up and I shook my head no and proceeded to make my right hand turn, leaving that man in the middle of the road between two lanes of traffic.  Today as I type this I can still hear the mans nails tapping on my car window.  

So, why did this man make such an impression on me?  I'm not exactly sure.  But I think because I felt like I should have given him something.  It would have taken a bit for me to fumble with my purse to find a dollar or two, but I had a couple of bucks that I certainly could have given him.  I'm sure he was hungry.  OR I could have given him my breakfast taquito and used my two bucks to buy a muffin from the cafeteria at work.  (There food is always over priced.  That's why I never go there)  Instead I followed suit and did exactly what the man in the car ahead of me did....refused to help.  Can you believe that?  I was not proud of myself.  In fact, I wanted to turn back to find the man and help him, but I didn't, mostly because I certainly didn't want to end up alone with the man.  Who knows what could happen then.  At least in a crowded street I felt somewhat better about an interaction.  All week long I have not been able to get this man out of my mind.  I keep thinking, "Sondra, you talk about random acts of kindness, and you have gotten better about doing nice things for others, but you failed at this big test!"  "You had the opportunity!"  "You blew it!"  All week long the words to Mosiah 4:19 have been playing over and over in my mind.  "Are we not all beggars?"  

It is my sincerely hope that someone did take the time to help this man.  To give him a couple bucks.  It is also my sincerely hope that this man was indeed hungry and not intending to use the money he received to help an addiction he suffered from or something like that.  BUT, again.......it is not for me to judge or pick and choose who I help.  That is something for the Lord to sort out.  Not me.  

A few days after my encounter with the man in the middle of the street I found myself looking at the homeless people walking the streets as I drove past them.  After my stop to QT on Friday I saw this person with a grocery cart full of his belongings just standing at the end of the drive for QT.  As I began to pull out of the parking lot I got this prompting to go give him your taquito and a couple dollars.  That prompting was pretty strong.  So, I drove over to him and handed him what I could.  He looked into my eyes and said very softly, Thank you.  As I drove away, the tears began to flow.  But these were not tears of sadness.  These were tears of gladness that I had brightened someone else's day in a very small way.  

I hope today you all have a wonderful day.  AND if the opportunity comes your way, that you will find a way to also brighten someone else's day.  Look around.  I'm sure there are ways that do not cost a lot of money.  You may not thing opportunities come up that often, but I promise you they do.  We just need to take the time to stop and look around.  Then we will see many opportunities are well within our reach.  Take that moment and help someone.  It will leave a lasting impression on you that will not only brighten the receivers day, but yours too. 

Take care my friends!  Have a wonderful day and we will talk again soon! 
 


From the Missionary:

Nothing today....more next week, hopefully.

Quote of the Day:
\
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...