Sunday, April 12, 2015

Lazy Sunday Afternoons are the BEST!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) My husband and his insight and his humor.  

2) Our Ward!  They are awesome!  

3) Our Relief Society President who also has a son serving a mission right now.  It's fun to exchange happenings.  AND she always reaches out to check up on us.  Thank you!

Goals for the Day:

1) Get to church....DONE!
2)  Get Lexi to call our ward Executive Secretary to set up an appointment with the Bishop for her Patriarchal Blessing interview.
3) Make dinner
4) Visit with Danielle when she comes over
5) Get things ready for work tomorrow
From the Camera:

Look at that crazy girl showing off with all of her brother's gold medals.  Isn't she funny!  She makes me laugh.  But check out that muscle she has.  She doesn't have much, but there is a little bump there.  Go Lexi!

Don't you just LOVE the garbage bag hanging from the door.....talk about a random photo!


From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea....

"At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us." -Albert Schweitzer.
Has someone made a difference in your life? Maybe it’s a teacher or professor who made a difference in your education; a coach who believed in you and inspired you to do your best. Maybe that person is a grandparent who raised you or a mentor who helped you choose your career path. Why not tell that person in a letter or card how they have inspired you?

Benefits

Keeping in contact with those who have influenced you in a positive way is also beneficial to you, because those people also represent a positive influence in your life and will continue to help you become the person you strive to be. Letting them know they have inspired you will move them continue helping others as they helped you.

Step It Up

Write a letter to the people who have made a difference in your life. Tell them about how they helped you get where you are, and why you are thankful for their support.

Keep It Simple

Don’t have the time to write a letter? Simply send an e-mail to someone who’s made a difference.
From the Kitchen:


Crock Pot Sweet Garlic Chicken

Ingredients
4-6 chicken breasts
1 cup packed brown sugar 
2/3 cup vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
1/4 cup lemon-lime soda (diet or regular)
2-3 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 Tablespoons corn starch
2 Tablespoons water
Red pepper flakes (optional)

Directions
Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place chicken (frozen, thawed or fresh) inside slow cooker. Mix together brown sugar, vinegar, soda, garlic, soy sauce, and pepper together. Pour over chicken. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. 

From the Spirit:

“And now, as pertaining to this perfect atonement, wrought by the shedding of the blood of God–I testify that it took place in Gethsemane and at Golgotha, and as pertaining to Jesus Christ, I testify that he is the Son of the Living God, and was crucified for the sins of the world. He is our Lord, our God, and our King. This I know of myself independent of any other person. I am one of his witnesses, and in a coming day I shall feel the nail marks in his hands and in his feet and shall wet his feet with my tears. But I shall not know any better then than I know now that he is God’s Almighty Son, that he is our Saviour and Redeemer, and that salvation comes in and through his atoning blood and in no other way.”
–Elder Bruce R. McConkie

From the Schmidt's:

This has been a wonderful day!  Hands down a perfectly lovely Sunday.  Not because anything special happened, but just because.  We all went to church together.  We sat together.  We are having some good conversations about a few things.  Kevin seems to be okay even though you can tell he is in some pain.  He is in a good mood in spite of the pain.  I always love it when we have this time together on Sunday afternoons to talk and just be together.  It's the best!  

This afternoon dinner is simmering away and we are hanging out not doing anything special but that.  Eventually Danielle will come over and that will break up the quiet in the house because the dog will bark and bark.  BUT, even so.....this is a good day.

Lexi was a little bummed after church.  She has a friend in the ward that seems to be mad at her and has been for about two months now.  This friend will not even talk to her unless it's in front of the leaders.  In fact, Wednesday it was all this person could do to actually get in the car with Lexi and another girl from the ward.  Lexi is not the kind of girl that enjoys for lack of better word for it, "Girl Drama".  In fact, Lexi usually avoids it.  Now this friend that has been mad at Lexi won't even tell Lexi what the issue is.  In fact, she has told all the other girls in the ward what the problem is but refuses to tell Lexi.  This has really hurt Lexi.  In fact, it has changed how she feels about going to church on Sunday, or even Mutual and Seminary.  Which I do not like.  I want Lexi at all of these things.  So, how does a mother help her daughter with this?

Believe me.  I have had my share of "Girl Drama" issues growing up.  In fact, as an adult too.  Females can be so hard on each other sometimes.  I had a good conversation with Lexi about this the other night.  I told her about one of my many encounters with "Girl Drama".  In fact, right after we moved to California and I walked into my new Sunday School class for the first time I met this girl in one of the oddest ways.  I sat down in the class and about 5 minutes into the lesson this girl starts a fist fight with me.  To this day I have no idea why that happened.  I know I didn't say anything to or about her.  After all, I didn't know anyone.  I was new in the ward.  The last thing I remember was being on the floor fighting this girl in a dress, right there in the middle of church.  Can you believe that?  To this day, I have absolutely no idea why that happened.  To this day, that is the one and only fist fight I have ever gotten in to.  Talk about a way to welcome you to your new ward!  

After that day, it was hard being in class with that girl.  In fact, it was a couple years of hard.  I became very inactive too.  For my 7th, 8th, and part of my 9th grade years I wasn't at church much.  In fact, I didn't start Seminary with the rest of the kids my age.  After a while I did, but things between this girl and I were still rough.  In fact, it wasn't until after I talked to her Dad that things kind of changed.  You see, this girl was the Bishop's daughter.  So, you can imagine how hard it was to be around her since she was always there.  It wasn't until my Bishop asked me, a Beehive, what he could do to help make things easier for me to attend my meetings.  I was honest with him.  I didn't hold back.  I told him things had been rough with his daughter.  I told him how she welcomed me to the ward.  At the end of my appointment with my Bishop he told me he would talk with his daughter about the situation, and after that things did get better.  I can honestly say we were never the best of friends.  We did do a few things together, but she was not what I called my best friend.  I will say, this girl and I are still friends.  In fact, I talk to her once in a while on Facebook. She lives in Utah now.  Looking back, this friend and I became better friends than I thought we would ever become when I first moved into the ward.  I'm glad things got better between my friend and I.  I am a better person for having this friend in my life.  

So, where am I going with all of this....
I shared this story with Lexi because I wanted her to know that she does have to work with all the girls in the ward.  That she has to be nice and try to get along with them, even when they are being difficult.  I also told her that if she wanted to she could talk with her Bishop too.  He may be able to give her some insight that I can't.  Bottom line is, Lexi is a strong girl and I know this bothers her, but I also know she will get through this, and be better off for having worked through it.

Tomorrow is a busy day.  Kevin has to meet with our attorney.  He will be discussing several things with him about the next phase.  This whole thing has dragged out for so long.  Now we need to pursue the disability end of things too.  Talk about crazy!  Kevin never dreamed he would spend so much time with all these doctors and attorneys in all his life....but here we are.   Frankly, I am just glad there is someone there to help him through the process.  I know we couldn't do it without them.  They have been a huge blessing in our life.  

Well, I need to go get the rest of my dinner prepared and feed my family.  Kevin is now asleep and Lexi is taking pictures of herself.  See what happens when I turn my attention away from them.  I lose them.  LOL!  Kevin needed a nap.  He was up and down all night last night.  So, this is a good thing.  

I'm hoping tonight the four of us might be able to play a game together or something.  We have a lot of fun playing card games or board games together.  We need to do that more often.  We have fond memories of Phase 10 marathons in our home.  That is a fun game!  You should try it.  

Take care friends.  Have a wonderful day!  AND we will talk again soon.  

From the Missionary:

Nothing from our Missionary today.  Soon though.

Quote of the Day:
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...