Sunday, April 19, 2015

It's Sunday Afternoon

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) My husband.  For his insight.  He strength.  His worthiness to give me a Priesthood blessing whenever I need one.  His love and support.  His council.  His love for each of our children.  AND His determination to keep our family together forever.

2) My children.  

Goals for the Day:

1)  Pay my tithing.
2)  Get to church
3)  Make dinner
4)  Bake a cake or two
5)  Rest my right knee.  

From the Camera:
Lexi and Kyle had a little fun riding this ride the other day. 
Family time!  Fun times!

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea.....
The next time you pass someone on the street asking you for spare change, take a moment to talk with them. You can give them change or share any snacks you may have, but also be sure to just say hello and speak with them for a while.
Often what we all want more than anything is to know that our lives matter, and what better way to show that than to take the time to listen to someone? In listening, you are telling the person that they are special, and that you are interested in them as a person.

Benefits:

This person now knows that you care about them! You might be the only person all day that they get to have a real conversation with. If you have friends or children with you, this is an excellent way to teach them that all people matter.

Step It Up:

If you take the same route to work or school each morning then it is possible you will see the same homeless person on your commute more than once in a week. Say hello every time you see them and get to know them. You may be able to help more than you think just by listening. Or perhaps when you buy your morning coffee or breakfast snack, by an extra cup or muffin and offer it to your new friend.

Keep It Simple:

If you don't feel comfortable diving into a long conversation, simply make eye contact and say hello with a smile. This is a simple way to let them know that you see them, and that they matter.

From the Kitchen:

Here is a recipe that looks absolutely yummy!

We are going to have to give these yummy things a try....the only problem, I can't have any.  Sadness.  But, maybe someday.  

From the Spirit:

Shoveling the Cabin Deck

A few weeks ago we had a family vacation up to our family cabin. I have more memories and lessons learned at the cabin than almost any other place I can think of. The cabin sits at about 9500 ft in the Rockie mountains in northern Utah. During the winter months it is accessible only by snowmobile. My brother and I (in a moment of insanity) decided it would be fun to take ALL of our family up there… only 18 were able to make it… but it was still quite the task. Through some tender mercies of the Lord we were able to get everyone in and had a great time.

While we were there my (crazy) brother decided he wanted to shovel the deck off… as you can see in the picture to the right, that is no easy task. That balcony he is standing on is normally about 9 feet off the ground. All the snow from the roof falls on the balcony and then off the cabin. It was not a particularly heavy snow year, but there was at lest 5 1/2 feet of snow tall, 8 feet wide, and about 40 feet long (the deck goes for a while down the whole side of the cabin). I’m not mathematician, but I’m guessing that is around 1000 cubic feet of snow…While we were there my (crazy) brother decided he wanted to shovel the deck off… as you can see in the picture below you can see, that is no easy task. That balcony he is standing on is normally about 9 feet off the ground. All the snow from the roof falls on the balcony and then off the cabin. It was not a particularly heavy snow year, but there was at lest 5 1/2 feet of snow tall, 8 feet wide, and about 40 feet long (the deck goes for a while down the whole side of the cabin). I’m not mathematician, but I’m guessing that is around 1000 cubic feet of snow…
brad-desk-shoveling

And it was wet and heavy in some spots…
And frozen solid in others…
I loved the idea of having the balcony for folks to go outside on and enjoy the beautiful view… but wow… I was already exhausted from getting everyone into the cabin (a post for another day).

But that didn’t discourage Brad. He went to work… shoveling… and digging… and shoveling… and digging. It didn’t take too long before he broke the shovel… but he found a new one… and kept digging. My 11 year old son joined him. I helped a little bit here and there… but mostly he did it himself. A few hours later he had cleared the deck except for a few spots for our cabin ‘fridge” and a bench for sitting. It was amazing, and a WONDERFUL place to go and sit while we were there.
20130314_172311

There are so many lessons I could take from this experience, but the one that I find most powerful is how sometimes… every once in a while… there are people around us that are examples of the Savior in our lives. My brother was that example to me that day. There was a task that he saw that needed to get done. I looked at it and agreed it would be nice… but I could not do it. I could not. I was utterly exhausted. So Brad stepped in (which he did many times during this trip) and took the burden on himself. He shoveled the deck. He created a wonderful space for us to go and be together as a family. I’m sure he was tired, but he did not shrink from the task and he finished it for us.
Here is a great quote from M. Russell Ballard from the last general conference along the same lines
How grateful I am for a brother that sees a need and fills it, and for a Savior who did not shrink, but finished the job for us so we can have a heavenly home.

From the Schmidt's:

Yesterday was a busy day for me.  Kevin was down for the count, but I had a couple errands to run.  Luckily these errands were right within my own neighborhood.  I picked up these doors from someone.  I think they will look awesome painted and possibly cut down and hung on the wall.  What do you think?  I may just save them for later and use them for a couple upcoming events.  We will see....  I think these are pretty cool though.

There is this house around the corner from me that has had some really cute decorations in the front that I have admired for a long time.  Whenever we would drive by we could see some old windows the homeowner had hanging from the beams on her porch.  They were so cool!  Well, yesterday I had the chance to see this home owner's home and her back yard.  Let me tell you!  Oh my gosh!  I thought the front yard was cute.  Holy cow!  The backyard is super cute too.  They don't have the windows hanging anymore, but she has some cute stuff in her back yard.  She has grass in the middle, then some pavers all around the edge of the yard.  Then along the entire outside of the yard she has these little sitting arrangements.  Her yard would be a perfect place for a wedding reception.  All you would need are some lights and you would be set.  I wish I would have taken about a million photos while I was there, but I missed that opportunity.  BUT, back the reason I was there in the first place.....
I was picking up the couch and the table in the photo below....

and I was picking up the chairs and the table in this next photo....

I need to find some cute outdoor cushions for each now.  
I also picked up a really cool side table for my bedroom too...
This came from a fellow volleyball Mom.  I didn't even know it was her when I was texting her.  Then when I got to her house we gabbed a little about a few things.  It was nice to see her.  Here is a photo of the table I got....

The best part....I didn't spent a lot of money.  That is my favorite part.  Love that!  


Now to get a few things moved around and taken care of to put these things in the spots I have planned.  The patio furniture is sitting in a heap on my front porch.  Yikes!  That needs to move ASAP!  It just looks bad.  I have a confession.  I have neglected my front porch for a while.  Time to give it the attention it deserves.  At least once my knee stops hurting.

I don't know what I did but I can hardly stand up on my right leg.  I walked around a little yesterday and now I am paying for it today.  Not good!  It hurts to drive, walk, stand, or even sit.  I don't know if I did something to it when I fell in the shower a few weeks ago or what.  BUT it is killing me.  Kyle helped me wrap it up this afternoon and I have been taking Tylenol and Motrin like it's going out of style.  I iced it last night and that really helped.  It helped with the swelling and I could actually sleep after that.  BUT, the ice pack is so darn cold.  I think if this doesn't improve in about a week, I may need to go see a doctor about this.  Yikes!  I am not liking the sound of that.  Not at all.  

So needless to say, I missed church today.  Kevin wasn't in a good place at all and he missed too.  I did manage to get showered and dressed enough to walk my tithing into a member of the bishopric.  BUT, I came home right after.  I had to get that done.  It couldn't wait.  I feel much better knowing that is done.  Now I can stop worrying about it.  It's taken care of.  Know what I mean?  That was the one thing Kevin and I wanted to get done for sure this weekend.  Tithing.  Thank goodness I could get that taken care of.  I love the peace that comes from knowing our tithing is paid.  Plus there are a few personal promised blessings that we do not want to miss out on.  I love personal revelation and the ability to counsel to my Heavenly Father.  There is nothing quite like that in the world!  It is the best!  I also recognize the adversaries desire to NOT see this come to pass in my own life.  It's interesting just how hard he works to derail us.  We need to "covering power" that comes from paying our tithing.  What a huge blessing that is! 

This week we have a lot going on.  Kevin has a few doctor's appointments set up.  He will be flitting around all over the place this week.  I hope all goes well.  He needs this.  We all need this for him.  He needs a chance to get a little of his life back and this coming procedure will help him do just that.

Well, it's been a long weekend.  I am worn out and sore.  I still have a lot to do today.  Dinner is in the oven baking.  I love those meals that just have to cook themselves in the oven or crock pot.  They are the best!  Baked Macaroni and Cheese with garlic bread and maybe a salad is what we are having for dinner.  The kids love it and it is super easy and I am all about easy today.

You should see me.  I have my skirt I put on this morning hiked up and wrapped around my knees, my knee in an ace bandage that just happens to match my black skirt, my leg propped up on the coffee table in front of me, and my laptop on the other leg.  It's working for me.  Now if I could just get Lexi or someone to get me the ice pack I would be perfect.

Speaking of Lexi, she has a meeting tonight for Girls Camp to get to.  She is a YCL this year and they have some planning to do.  Hopefully I will be able to get myself out to the car to drive her.  I fully intend to give it a go.  Pain or not.  I will get through this knee thing.  I know I will.  Arg!

I have a cake or two to bake tonight.  German Chocolate Cake from scratch.  Yum!  And I can't or shouldn't eat any either.  I am trying to watch what I eat lately.  A co-worker's birthday is tomorrow and I thought it would be nice to make her favorite kind of cake.  We celebrated last week as a team before my other co-worker retired, but everyone needs cake on their actual birthday.  So, my cake is a bit of a surprise.  I hope it turns out well.  Wish me luck.  ~smile~smile~

I should go.  Dinner is calling me name.  Take care and we will talk soon.

From the Missionary:

Nothing today,....more next week hopefully.

Quote of the Day:
Forever, For Always, No Matter What!!!
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...