Monday, April 6, 2015

And it's only Monday!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) My husband's attorney for having my husband's back.  He is taking care of Kevin and I so appreciate that!

2) Not being sick!  We had 4 people out sick at work today.  I am so grateful I am not sick too.

Goals for the Day:

1) Call City of Mesa
2) Scan the letter and photo from President Morgan
3) Dinner
4) Clean up
5) Get my things ready for work tomorrow

From the Camera:

We received a letter today from Elder Schmidt's Mission President.
Included in the letter was a photo of our son with his Mission President and his wife.  President and Sister Morgan.  He looks happy, doesn't he?  


I have to apologize for the poor quality of this photo.  It came a little yellow or orange.
I tried to scan it into my computer, but apparently my scanner isn't functioning properly right now.  
I'll have to have my oldest son help me with the scanner when he gets home.  

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea....

Even the smallest act of kindness can make a difference in someone’s day. And sometimes it’s the smallest gestures that have the greatest impact on someone. Whenever you help yourself to some gum, offer a piece to whoever is nearby you. Whether it be to a classmate you’re friends with, the stranger sitting next to you on the bus or the homeless man standing next to you as you’re waiting to cross the street, give him or her a smile as you hold out a piece of gum.

Benefits

Your simple act of offering someone a stick of gum may truly make an impact on that person. What if your gesture is the only bit of kindness that person receives today? You might be the only person that notices him or her today, and he or she will definitely be grateful. It’s an easy thing you can do to spread kindness, but your attention will be valued.

Step It Up

Whenever you notice someone who seems lonely, offer them a stick of gum and a simple “hello.” It’s an effortless way to make someone smile, or even make a friend.

Keep It Simple

When someone offers you a piece of gum, accept with an enthusiastic “thank you” for their thoughtfulness. Being appreciative of other’s kind actions is a form of kindness in itself!
From the Kitchen:

Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream White Sauce


Chicken Enchiladas with Sour Cream White Sauce – The BEST Enchiladas EVER!

Meat from 1 finely chopped or shredded chicken (about 2-3 cups...I used a roasted chicken from Sam's Club)
1 can of Green chilies
2 cups of chicken broth
3 tbsp. flour
3 tbsp. butter
3 cups Monterrey jack cheese (I used Colby-jack and cheddar)
1 cup sour cream
10 tortillas

Lightly oil a 9x13 baking pan with olive oil.  Mix the chicken and 1 cup of cheese.  Add chicken and cheese mixture to tortilla and then roll up and place in the pan seam side down.
In small sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter.  Whisk in the flour and cook for about 1 minute.  Add the broth and whisk until smooth.  Allow sauce to thicken.  Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and chilies.   (Make sure that the sauce isn't too hot or the sour cream will curdle.  I made the sauce, then filled the tortillas before mixing in the sour cream.) 
Pour sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese.  Bake 25 minutes and then broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese.  (I did the sauce times 1.5, and poured it over the edges, so that some sauce would go inside of the tortillas from the ends...plus it was tasty on the Spanish rice.)
This would be a great dish to make two pans and share with someone in need!  It was a huge hit!
From the Spirit:

Elder Spencer W. Kimball, then a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles said:

“Youth, beloved youth, can you see why we must let spiritual training take first place?—Why we must pray with faith, and perfect our own lives like the Savior’s? Can you see that the spiritual knowledge may be complemented with the secular in this life and on for eternities but that the secular without the foundation of the spiritual is but like the foam upon the milk, the fleeting shadow?
“Do not be deceived! One need not choose between the two but only as to the sequence, for there is opportunity for one to get both simultaneously; but can you see that the seminary courses should be given even preferential attention over the high school subjects; the institute over the college course; the study of the scriptures ahead of the study of the man-written texts; the association with the Church more important than clubs, fraternities, and sororities; the payment of tithing more important than paying tuition's and fees?  “Can you see that the ordinances of the temple are more important than the PhD or any and all other academic degrees?” (“Beloved Youth, Study and Learn,” in Life’s Directions[1962], 190).
It seems that too often in our lives we get distracted by our professional and educational goals, and let the most important learning fall by the wayside or take a back seat.  As worthy and important our education is, it must never take second place to the spiritual learning that is the foundation of our eternal existence.  I know that when we put the Lord first, he also blesses us in our secular learning.
From the Schmidt's:

Today just flew by!  There are 8 of us at work on my team.  We have 4 of those 8 people out sick today, so we were busy.  Even though we were busy, it wasn't too bad.  Monday is usually a fairly easy day, relatively speaking, of course.  

Kevin sent me a text about half way through the day telling me he heard from his attorney again.  Which was a good thing since Kevin has been emailing him constantly.  LOL!  Believe me, it will be nice to finally be done with all of that....but it looks Kevin is going to have to file another lawsuit.  You know what that means....more craziness.  In the long run, it will be a good thing.  It's just frustrating that it could drag out for a while.  Kevin and I are ready to be done with all of this.  

We had Danielle and her boyfriend over for dinner last night.  Instead of the traditional Ham for Easter, we did Enchiladas.  Kevin wasn't too happy about that.  He even told Danielle next time we are doing Ham....as if it was her decision.  When I talked about Ham for Easter Danielle turned up her nose at the idea.  She isn't much of a Ham fan.  What I should have made was a nice roast or something like that.  Turkey would have been better than Ham.  Then I could have also had a little Ham for those that really like it.  It's hard to please everyone, and I don't even have a huge crowd to deal with.  Oh well.

We got mail from Curtis' Mission President today.  A copy of the letter can be found below.  We were thrilled to hear from President Morgan and Sister Morgan.  They only have a few more months left of their mission.  In July Curtis will have a new Mission President.  We will see what happens to the mission rules after July.  I don't think Curtis will have anything to worry about.  His ties are the only thing I worry about.  He has some pretty bright and colorful ties thanks to his Mother and Brother.  We had fun picking those out with him.  His Grandma Zimmerman picked out some pretty ones too.  She has good taste.  We hope the ties are not an issue later on.  Time will tell.

Lexi has a science project to do.  She has online school and they make her do these little experiments.  LOL!  She needs a potato for this next one.  The last one required plain yogurt.  She has to leave one in the fridge and set one out on the counter.  Do you know which one smelt pretty ripe?  That's right....the one on the counter.  Needless to say, I was so glad when that experiment was over and we could throw out the yogurt.  Yuck!  I have no idea what Lexi is going to be doing with a potato, but I don't have a single potato in the house.  Arg!  Do you think that is an odd thing to borrow from a neighbor?  Honestly, I don't think I have ever borrowed anything except some milk from a neighbor around here.  How strange.  We use to have one neighbor that would come over and asked to borrow the oddest things.  It was like she was using the neighborhood to supply the entire meal for her family.  Have you ever had a neighbor like that before?  I can see it if you were really good friends with your neighbor and both sides did that, but not with just random neighbors.  And then, it happened almost every week.  Not good!  I will say this....if this neighbor's children would have come over asking I would have given whatever they needed, if I had it, without question.  I don't think I could sleep well thinking that a child was going to bed hungry.  That would break my heart.  BUT
when you ask weekly, you have a car, and it's not Sunday,
I don't understand why you don't just jump in the car and go back to the store.  Sure, I get once in a while you forget something or whatever.  I am so willing to help out.  I think when it becomes a weekly thing I tend to get a little bent about it.  

I know, I know.....I shouldn't judge.  
I guess you could say that is just something I need to work on.  
It's not for me to question.  I need to remember what the scriptures say...."Are we not all beggars?"  (Mosiah 4:19)  
Again, something I need to get better at.
What can I say, I have some things to get better at.

My kids have found this cool thing they want to for FHE tonight.  
I can't explain it.   BUT, here is the YouTube video to show you.


Kyle is off to the dollar store to get rubber bands,....and a potato for Lexi.  Fun times.  I see ants in our future...and watermelon all over the front lawn.  Yikes!  
What a waste of a perfectly good watermelon.  LOL!
We will let you know how this goes.  
All I know is that this is a first time all my kids have been excited about FHE in a long time.  
Just for that reason, it's worth every penny!

Well, I need to go so we can get ready for the fun.
Take care my friends.
We will talk to you soon!

From the Missionary:

This is a copy of the letter we received from President Morgan about our missionary.  

Let me apologize, up front, for the poor quality of this letter.  I had to take a picture of it since the scanner isn't working properly.  The letter basically says that they welcome Elder Schmidt's enthusiasm to serve, it gives the information about his companion, and states that they have transfers every 6 weeks so they want all mail sent directly to the mission home.  

Quote of the Day:


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...