Sunday, March 8, 2015

Sunday Afternoon

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) Saturday & Sunday Mornings, so I can sleep in a little bit.

2) Good friends who live in New York and can point me in the right direction for an online store to purchase a winter coat for New York snow, when I live in Arizona where we don't need something like that.  Not to mention, this same friend letting me know how important it is to find snow boots and warm socks so feet stay warm.  This friend knows someone that she works with that wears high heels from the door of their office to her car, which is as close as my car is to my front door at home, and this person got frost bite on her toes.  This is the kind of weather my son will be in soon.  Wow!  Thank you Tracy!  I so appreciate our long talks.  You have helped me out more than you know.

Goals for the Day:

1) Shop, Shop, Shop, for all the remaining things Curtis will need for his mission.

2) Clean.  Anything I can after all the shopping.

3) Make sure I get things ready for church tomorrow.

From the Camera:

This is my oldest child, Danielle.  She is 26.  She is going to school, living on her own, and working full time to help support herself.  She works very hard and always has.  This photo was one she took of herself while still living at home.  It's one of my favorite photos of her.  Just thought I would share it since she and her best friend (her roommate) are on my mind a lot lately.  Lots of exciting things that I cannot share at this time.  More later when I can share.  

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme acts of kindness, here is another idea...

Be kind to yourself today and do something to treat yourself. Go visit your favorite park with your favorite book. Take a long walk to relax your mind and refresh your body. Or grab a cup of coffee at your favorite coffee shop, maybe pick up your favorite dessert on the way home from work. Take that class at the gym you've been trying to make time for. Take your loved one on a date tonight...whatever being kind to yourself looks like to you, do it today!!!
So many of us invest 110% in those around us, and don't make time for ourselves. It is so important to carve out a little "me time" during the day, or at least once or twice a week.

Benefits: 
"You must love yourself before you love another. By accepting yourself and fully being what you are, your simple presence can make others happy." ~Anonymous

Step It Up:
For one week, commit to carving out five minutes of each day for you. Do whatever it is you love--read a book, drink a cup of tea, talk a brisk walk, meditate. Whatever you need to do to relax and embrace yourself, do it daily for one week. Increase the amount of time as you are able.

Keep It Simple:
Just try it out for one day this week! Decide in advance and set aside some time for you. You could even put it on your calendar! See how it influences your mood for the rest of the day, and see if you can't make time for yourself more often.

From the Kitchen:

My sister-in-law shared this recipe on Facebook the other day.  Don't these eggs look yummy?  I think so.
Thanks KeriAnne!

Easter Egg Cookie Dough Truffles
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup of butter, softened
  • 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 tsps vanilla extract
  • 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup mini chocolate chips
  • pink, blue, purple, and white candy melts
Instructions
  1. In the bowl of a large stand mixer, cream the butter and the brown sugar until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Beat in the vanilla.
  2. Slowly add the flour, scraping down the sides as necessary.
  3. With the mixer still running, slowly add in the sweetened condensed milk. You may need to stop the mixer periodically to scrape down the sides.
  4. Once it is fully combined, stir in the chocolate chips.
  5. Form the dough into one inch balls, and then shape into eggs. Place on a wax paper lined pan and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight.
  6. Melt the candy melts according to the directions on the bag. Keeping the truffles in the refrigerator, and removing only three or four at a time, dip them in the candy melts one at a time with a fork. Gently tap off any excess chocolate and let dry on wax paper.
From the Spirit:

David O. McKay’s 10 Rules For Happiness

1. Develop yourself by self discipline.
2. Joy comes through creation—sorrow through destruction. Every living thing can grow; use the world wisely to realize soul growth.
3. Do things that are hard to do.
4. Entertain up building thoughts. What you think about when you do not have to think about shows what you really are.
5. Do your best this hour, and you will do better the next.
6. Be true to those who trust you.
7. Pray for wisdom, courage, and a kind heart.
8. Give heed to God’s messages through inspiration. If self-indulgence, jealousy, avarice, or worry have deadened your response, pray to the Lord to wipe out these impediments.
9. True friends enrich life. If you would have a friend, be one.
10. Faith is the foundation of all things—including happiness. 

From the Schmidt's:

First, let me apologize for not posting anything yesterday.  
I was so worn out.  
I shopped and shopped, and shopped!  
That's right...Me.  Curtis and Kyle came with me sure.  
BUT....
I was the one with the debit card.  LOL!
My feet hurt so bad. 
 I am not kidding!  

We bought 3 pieces of luggage, 7 ties, 5 pairs of dress pants 2 belts a pair of tennis shoes, a winter coat, snow boots, towels, an iron, shower shoes, 2 pairs of long shorts, 2 t-shirts, thermal underwear, 14 pairs of dress socks, 6 pairs of warm socks, a razor, a toiletry bag, a shoulder bag, an alarm clock, a flash light, a watch, a scarf, winter gloves, a hat, we got scriptures engraved, a scripture marker, a CTR ring, scripture cases, 2 sweaters, an umbrella, a first aid kit, cold medicine, Tylenol, insoles for shoes, and all the personal hygiene items we could find.  We bought consecrated oil too.

We had two new suits, 10 dress shirts, a couple of ties, and all of his baptismal clothing, thanks to his big brother, and garments of course.  AND a new set of scriptures.    

I'm sure I'm missing something.  You should see my dining room table.  It looks like a little store here.  It's crazy!  

Tomorrow we pay $400 for the iPad Curtis will pick up at the MTC,  and $400 for the first month of his mission.  This is it.  It's coming down to the wire.  Curtis will be leaving in about a week and a half.  Holy Cow!  It still hasn't hit me yet.  I'm still in the get things done mode.  It is going to hit when he gets on that plane.  Then the water works will flow for sure.  Or on the day he speaks in church, and the night he gets set apart.  But it's all good.  

Honestly, I am not one of those Mom's that get bummed about their son leaving.  I am honored and excited for them.  Sure, I will miss my son, but I am not sad about this in any way.  This is thrilling!  
I look at it this way....this is exactly where my Heavenly Father wants my son.  Serving a mission.  I am honored to have another son who is worthy and has a strong desire to serve a mission.  Who am I to get in the way of that?  I can't.  I just can't.  So, the thought just doesn't even come to my mind and I guess that is why I do not understand how some mothers get so depressed when their children leave.  

I can't wait to hear about all the things Curtis will experience.  I love that!  There is nothing more fun and exciting!  Especially with Curtis.  You know he is going to do something completely bizarre or learn all this cool new stuff he will just share even if you aren't ready to hear it.  That is just Curtis.  He has always been my inquizative child from the moment he could talk he was always talking and asking questions.  OR running away.  That boy just wanted to be out and about doing everything he could with all the older kids. From the moment he was born he has been hanging out with Kyle and Kyle's friends.  The day Curtis was born Kyle wasn't too sure about having a little brother. BUT now, the two of them are closer than ever.  I think all of my children are going to have a hard time when Curtis leaves.  Lexi is all ready having a hard time with the idea of her big brother leaving.  

I love that all of my kids are so close to each other.  Sure, they argue fuss and fight just like any other kids.  But if someone ever tries to hurt one of them they all rally around the one.  It's great!  
Curtis will be missed, but we will sacrifice and share our son for two years.  We do this because we know what will happen to him in those two years.  We know what Curtis will become and we are excited to see him after the two years too.  We love you Curtis and we wish you the best on your mission.

Kevin has had a rough couple of days lately.  He fell really hard yesterday while I was gone shopping with Curtis.  Thank goodness Kyle was here to help pick him up.  Tonight we are spending the evening with Danielle and her roommate for dinner.  This is a little strange.  I still need to get use to this going to my child's home for dinner.  Ha Ha!  Hopefully Kevin will be okay for that.  
(fingers crossed.)

Well, time to get going.  Take care and we will talk again tomorrow.  Hope you have a great day.

Quote of the Day:

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...