Saturday, March 21, 2015

Saturday IS a special day!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) Good friends that I feel very blessed to have in my life and without knowing it, remind me constantly just how much I need them in my life each and every day.  Thank you.

2) My Parents!  I may not live under their roof anymore, but they help me in so many ways.  I love them and appreciate all they have done and continue to do for me.  

Goals for the Day:
1) Pick up a little bit around the house.  Sweep floors.  Dust and clean blinds and window sills. 

2) Get ready for church tomorrow.

3) Mail some paperwork for Kevin.

From the Camera:

Curtis tolerating the selfie his sister insisted on taking of the two of them.  Doesn't he look excited?  LOL!  Brotherly love!

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another great idea....
Do some early spring cleaning today and fill some boxes with gently used toys, clothes, and books to bring to a local donation center. If you've already cleaned house recently, think about donating your time or money to a cause that is dear to your heart this week. Make it a priority to do it today!
Perhaps your closet needs cleaning? Pile up all the clothing, jackets, and accessories you don’t wear any longer and make a trip to a local thrift store or homeless shelter to donate your items. Don’t have a lot of time? Get online and find a charity that speaks to your heart and give them a monetary donation. You can donate old books to your local library or even give of your time and visit a retirement home. Donate something today!

Benefits

  • Simple articles of clothing can make a person feel clean and taken care of. Donating clothing to a shelter will make a difference in someone's life.
  • Many thrift stores, like Goodwill, use the funds earned through the sale of used clothing to support the community.
  • Preparing and serving a meal for someone is one of the biggest compliments you can give.
  • Nothing helps clarify priorities like giving your time to help others.

Step It Up

Adults can organize a clothing drive at your work and invite coworkers to bring their used clothing. Make it easy for others by offering to take the donations to a thrift store or shelter.
Kids can organize a clothing drive at their school. Send notes home with your classmates, asking them to bring in clothing they have outgrown. Then have a parent or teacher arrange for the clothing to be donated.

Keep It Simple

Go through your closet, and instead of throwing away items you don’t need anymore, donate them. Many organizations make it easy for you, by offering services to pick up used clothing from your house.
I watched a clip on Facebook this morning about a kindergarten teacher that made sure her students were all ready for the day by making sure all of them had clean clothes on.  Their teeth brushed, had breakfast that day, and had money for lunch later.  If the students didn't have these things she took money out of her own pocket to take care of her students needs.  The kids loved her.  She treated each child as an equal and made sure everyone knew that they had something to contribute.  Eventually two of her former students she had helped as kindergartners found themselves being taking from their parents by child protective services.  When CPS came to the school to gather the children but could not find anyone to take the children in, this kindergarten teacher stepped up and agreed to take them in.  What was to be only a temporary thing has now lasted 6 months.  This single, kindergarten teacher and mother of one, now is also the foster parent to these two children.  This teacher not only donated her time and talents, but she also gave what she had to help those little ones in need.  In speaking of herself and all teachers she said, "We are like the first responders" to a child in need.  How cool is that??!!  I love that!  This is just one awesome example of how much of a difference you can make, and you don't have to really get out of your own comfort zone, so to speak.  You just have to look around for ways to help and do it!  What an example this young kindergarten teacher is and what a difference she has made in so many lives, as well as her own.  (For more information about this teacher check out The Ellen Show online for more details.)
From the Kitchen:


Snickerdoodle Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 cup all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
3 Tbsp. butter, melted
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. of salt

Directions:
In one bowl stir flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl whisk butter, egg, milk, and vanilla extract until combined.  Add flour mixture to wet ingredients a little at a time until well mixed.  Butter pan and heat over medium until golden brown - bubbles will begin popping on the top surface.  Flip and cook until other side is brown.

For an Amazing syrup:  
heat 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1 Tbsp. butter, and 1 tsp. cinnamon in a pan until warmed through. 

OR try this....

Make a mixture of Cinnamon and Sugar to your liking
Purchase Caramel Sauce in the jar from the store and do this...

Directions:
1.  Make your pancakes using the recipe above
2. Coat them in cinnamon and sugar.
3. Stack the as high as you'd like to go.
4. Drizzle them with the caramel sauce.
5. Beg for self control and take a bite.  Enjoy!

From the Spirit:

Giving When it Counts

Many years ago, when I worked as a volunteer at a
hospital, I got to know a little girl named Liz who
was suffering from a rare & serious disease.
Her only chance of recovery appeared to be a blood
transfusion from her 5-year old brother, who had
miraculously survived the same disease and had
developed the antibodies needed to combat the
illness.
The doctor explained the situation to her
little brother, and asked the little boy if he would
be willing to give his blood to his sister..
I saw him hesitate for only a moment before taking a
deep breath and saying, “Yes I’ll do it if it will save
her.”
As the transfusion progressed, he lay in bed
next to his sister and smiled, as we all did, seeing
the color returning to her cheek. Then his face
grew pale and his smile faded.
He looked up at the doctor and asked with a
trembling voice, “Will I start to die right away”.
Being young, the little boy had misunderstood the
doctor; he thought he was going to have to give his
sister all of his blood in order to save her.
From the Schmidt's:

So far, this has been a very quiet Saturday.  I think we are all still in shock that Curtis is gone.  It's gonna take a while for us all to snap out of it.  ha ha!  Tomorrow Kyle has to be to work at 4 a.m.  Yikes!  Then Danielle will be over tomorrow night.  That should help us all get back to normal.  I think.  

What do you think Curtis is doing today?  Kevin thinks maybe going to the Provo Temple or something.  Wouldn't that be cool!  I'm sure whatever it is, he is having a great time.  It thrills me to hear how much he is enjoying himself.  Love that!

This week wore us all out.  Kevin is in a lot of pain and is now hanging out in bed.  He was actually in the recliner in the family room for a while.  That was nice.  He wanted to watch his Star Wars movies on the big screen.  Plus he couldn't stay down for some reason.  In just a few more days he will get the temporary nerve stimulator.  We hope that does the trick and will eventually get the permanent one.  Please keep my husband in your prayers this week.  We should know soon.

We are also waiting for our attorney to call with word on Kevin's settlement too.  Kevin signed all the papers.  We are still playing the waiting game for the check.  Not fun!  But, hopefully that will come some.  

A few years ago we met with an estate attorney to get our affairs in order.  This was part of a benefit I have through work.  So, we set up our advanced directives, our will, and we established a trust as well.  The trust will allow us to move assets to our children when we pass away.  We also made arrangements for our youngest daughter to be taken care of in the event that we pass away before she reaches a certain age.  It wasn't easy deciding if we wanted to be placed on life support in the event that we became ill or figuring out who would take over care of our youngest in the event of our deaths.  OR determining which child would be allowed to "pull the plug" so to speak in the event that we became terminally ill.  It's been a standing joke around the house that the one that "gets to" pull the plug has all the power in the family.  LOL!  They are the one we need to be super nice to or else they might decide to "pull the plug" even if we get a hang nail.  LOL!  There are comments all the time about that  just to lighten things up.  It is funny.  But at the same time, it's comforting to know that our affairs are in order.  

One thing I would also like to do is make arrangements financially for our passing so our children are not burdened with the costs of a funeral or a burial.  I know that seems a little morbid to think about, but I don't want anyone hit with that financial issue.  I luckily have life insurance through my place of employment.  I even took out life insurance policies (only enough to cover a burial) for each of my children...just in case.  The one who does not have life insurance is my husband.  So, with some of this settlement we receive I think it would be best if we picked up a policy to cover him.  Just in case.  Sure, I could get coverage for him through work, but there is a health screening and I would have to set it up during open enrollment and that isn't for another several months, at the end of the year.  We need something set up now.  

Believe me, I hate thinking about his kind of stuff.  BUT, I also like the peace of mind that having these kinds of things taken care of brings.  So, we have some things to think about.  What kind of life insurance plan do we get.  Which company do we go with?  How much coverage do we get?  I also think it would be best to get a policy for myself outside of what I have at work.  That way in the event of a loss of that job, I would still be covered as long as we could keep up with the premiums.  These are the kinds of things I would like to do with some of the money.  

Then there are a few other things that need to be taken care of as well.  We will certainly pay tithing on the funds first, then mission is second.  Kevin has some ideas of how he wants to use the money as well.  And after all, Kevin went through a lot to get to this point so he really should decide how this gets used.  Believe me, most of these ideas are things he has all ready mentioned.  The life insurance thing is something I came up with.  Lots to think about.

There are a lot of things I want to get in order around here.  I am ready to start organizing some things.  Like all of Kevin's mission stuff.  OR Kyle's for that matter.  Then there is the project of all of the family photos.  That should keep me out of trouble for about a year or two.  I also want to organize my closets and the laundry room.  Not to mention my bedroom.  Lexi and Kyle's bedroom.  I am in a spring cleaning mood!  Look out!  Believe it or not, there are boxes in our garage that still need to be unpacked.  Those are the missionary boxes and the keepsake kind of things.  Like all of those church files I want to get a file cabinet for.  Something else to purchase.  A file cabinet! Lovin' it!  I can't wait to have all of those things in one place.  Look out Facebook groups.  Here I come....or Craigslist.  I'm not paying full price for a file cabinet.  Not this girl.  Why should I when I can find a perfectly good used one for super cheap?  Right now I have things in closets and in boxes in the garage.  I hate it!  I need to get organized.  I found this cool filing system too.  You put things in your cabinet and everything has a number.  Then you have a 3x5 card system you keep.  You could take a photo of each item too.  Then inside your 3x5 card box you would have dividers for each topic.  On each card you could show the photo of each item and the numeric code given to each item.  You could cross reference your items with each topic the item could be used for.  YES, you could do this on a computer, but I never fully trust a computer to keep all of my information safe.  Plus some of the things I have cannot be stored online.  They are things like puppets or flannel board stories and laminated stories.  That's right, the Primary President in me is still here.  I saved everything and I still need to organize it all.  ~smile~smile~

It's a good thing I don't work at a school.  Can you imagine how big of a file cabinet I would need then?  Oh my heavens!

I have lots to think about.  Lots to do.  Plus dinner to make for the family.  It's breakfast for dinner tonight.  Yes!  We haven't had that in a long time....not even for breakfast.  Imagine that?

You all take care, and I will talk to you soon.  Thanks for stopping by.

From the Missionary:

Nothing new from Curtis today.  Kevin also got a letter.  Maybe he will let me share bits and pieces of his letter too....maybe more from Curtis tomorrow, after I talked to Kevin.  

Quote of the Day:
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...