Thursday, March 19, 2015

He's only been gone a day!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) Naps on a rainy day!  Love that!  We got home from the airport yesterday around 9 a.m. and the weather was wonderful.  The rain cooled everything down.  It was absolutely glorious.

2) Two day work weeks!  A girl could get used to this!  Login' it!

Goals for the Day:

1) Take a little nap this afternoon.  What can I say, 5 a.m. comes early.  Especially after those nights I can't seem to fall asleep on.

2) Watch my show

3) Pay some bills.

From the Camera:

Remember this door???? 

Well, it has a new look now.  
I wanted my door to show the cracks kind of like this...

Here is what I did.

I finished painting the door with a spray paint color called Catalina Mist by Krylon. 
 It comes in a can like this...

I let the door dry and I didn't do anything with it for a couple of days simply because I had a ton of other things to get done.  I had all the stuff on hand to complete my crackle finish, but I was up to my eyeballs in dishes and laundry so the door had to wait a bit.  It was Monday after noon when I finally added the crackle medium to just the front side of the door.  This is the stuff I used for this step....

The bottles are small, so I used two.  There are several different kinds of crackle medium and you can find it at a craft store or any home improvement center.  I decided to save myself some grief and went with what I knew.  I got my crackle medium at a craft store.  I wish the stuff came in bigger bottles.  

I let the crackle finish dry completely.  It was a nice sunny day here in Arizona, so it wasn't long before it was all dry.  We had company come by the house that night, so it wasn't until 9 p.m. when Lexi and I went out and painted on the last layer.  I decided to go with a black top coat and this is the stuff we used.



That's right!  I stuck with what I knew and used plain craft paint from the craft store.
We could see the crackling start to take affect as the paint dried in sections of the door as we were painting the one side.  It was cool to watch.  

Here are a few photos of the finished door and with a snazzy new door knob I found at Hobby Lobby.

Here is a close up photo 

And even a closer photo of the crackle.  
I love how it turned out.  What do you think?

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea.
If you enjoy the company of someone who’s positive, versus spending time with someone who complains, you’re not alone. You have probably experienced how being around someone who complains all the time can be draining and sometimes downright frustrating. But how often do you, yourself complain? If you find yourself complaining constantly, it can be an extremely hard habit to break. But when you do overcome it, you’ll be surprised at how much happier you and those around you will be.

Benefits

Just as being negative or complaining excessively can bring down those around you, focusing on positive things can make others happier and more positive themselves. So just by avoiding being negative, you’ll actually be helping your family and friends! Trying to find something positive about a situation you’d typically complain in will also make you happier, and hopefully change the way you look at the world.

Step It Up

If you are in the habit of complaining, try to break it by finding something optimistic to say instead. Next time you’re about to complain about something, rethink what you’re going to say and try to find something positive about the situation that has made you unhappy. It is amazing what a positive attitude will do for your life and your relationships with others!

Keep It Simple

You may not be a complainer, but even if you aren’t, you can still strive to be a more positive person, for your sake and the sake of your family and friends.
This idea is one that was hard for me.  Shoot!  I still struggle with this one.  BUT, I have tried to make my blog posts more about my blessings and less about my troubles AND I have come to find that I like this version much better.  It was an assignment I was given by my therapist.  (That's right, I have a therapist.  Judge if you will.  I don't consider that a weakness and I am not ashamed.  In fact, quite the contrary, I feel quite blessed to have her in my life.  She is a true blessing.)  She wanted me to think about and remember two things I am grateful for each day.  From that, things have blossomed, so to speak.  ~smile~smile~
From the Kitchen:


Salted Caramel Easter Popcorn

Yield: About 8 cups popcorn
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
This sweet and salty popcorn treat is perfect for Easter and spring time snacking!

ingredients:

6 cups plain popped popcorn
2 cups coarsely chopped salted pretzels
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
1/4 cup water
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup miniature marshmallows
Drop of red food coloring-if you want to make the popcorn pink for Easter
1 1/2 cups Easter Pretzel M&M's

directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine popcorn and pretzels. Set aside. In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and water to a boil over medium high heat. Boil, undisturbed, until mixture is amber in color, for about 8-12 minutes. Remove pan from heat and slowly pour in the heavy cream. Be careful because the mixture will bubble up. Stir until smooth and add vanilla extract, marshmallows, and drop of red food coloring-if using. Stir until marshmallows are melted and mixture is smooth.
2. Pour caramel mixture over popcorn and pretzels and gently stir with a rubber spatula until popcorn is well coated. Stir in the pretzel M&M's. Transfer mixture to a large baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Let cool completely.
Note-I used air popped popcorn, but stove or microwave popcorn will work as well. I used red food coloring to make the popcorn pink for Easter. I also used Easter Pretzel M&M's. You can always change up the color or leave the popcorn plain. And feel free to stir in your favorite M&M's or other Easter candy. Robin Eggs or Mini Cadbury Eggs would be good too!
From the Spirit:

Subway Experiment

“THE SITUATION – In Washington , DC , at a Metro Station, on a cold January morning in 2007, this man with a violin played six Bach pieces for about 45 minutes. During that time, approximately 2,000 people went through the station, most of them on their way to work. After about 3 minutes, a middle-aged man noticed that there was a musician playing. He slowed his pace and stopped for a few seconds, and then he hurried on to meet his schedule.
About 4 minutes later: The violinist received his first dollar. A woman threw money in the hat and, without stopping, continued to walk. At 6 minutes: A young man leaned against the wall to listen to him, then looked at his watch and started to walk again.
At 10 minutes: A 3-year old boy stopped, but his mother tugged him along hurriedly. The kid stopped to look at the violinist again, but the mother pushed hard and the child continued to walk, turning his head the whole time. This action was repeated by several other children, but every parent – without exception – forced their children to move on quickly.
At 45 minutes: The musician played continuously. Only 6 people stopped and listened for a short while. About 20 gave money but continued to walk at their normal pace. The man collected a total of $32.
After 1 hour:
He finished playing and silence took over. No one noticed and no one applauded. There was no recognition at all.
No one knew this, but the violinist was Joshua Bell, one of the greatest musicians in the world. He played one of the most intricate pieces ever written, with a violin worth $3.5 million dollars. Two days before, Joshua Bell sold-out a theater in Boston where the seats averaged $100 each to sit and listen to him play the same music.
This is a true story. Joshua Bell, playing incognito in the D.C. Metro Station, was organized by the Washington Post as part of a social experiment about perception, taste and people’s priorities. This experiment raised several questions: *In a common-place environment, at an inappropriate hour, do we perceive beauty? *If so, do we stop to appreciate it? *Do we recognize talent in an unexpected context?
One possible conclusion reached from this experiment could be this: If we do not have a moment to stop and listen to one of the best musicians in the world, playing some of the finest music ever written, with one of the most beautiful instruments ever made . . . How many other things are we missing as we rush through life?”
This so true!  For me it is even more true with all the technology that is constantly bombarding me.  I have access to the Internet every second of every day, and there are thousands of things begging for my attention there.  Too often we find ourselves in the crowd of folks that don’t stop to enjoy the beauty all around us.
You could take this though and go a hundred different ways with it, but the one I am going to point out here is the parallel to the Spirit in our lives.  Too often there is so much going on around us that we don’t stop to hear the Spirit talking to us.  The Spirit is just like Joshua Bell… it is beautiful and amazing.  It will inspire and lift us when we are down, but we MUST stop and listen.  We must not be so busy that we can not see and feel the power and promptings that the Lord will give us in our lives.
Take some time today and make sure you stop and listen to the beautiful music the Lord is making in your life.
From the Schmidt's:

My eyes are killing me.  I should have taken today off too.
I am toast!  I'm still trying to catch up from all the fun these past few days trying to get Curtis out the door.  I wanted to come home and take a nap, but I don't think it's gonna happen.  Now Lexi wants to go to the mall tonight with her friend.  That means driving to and from the mall.  Dropping Lexi off and picking her up.  
This is the kind of thing I would get Curtis to do for me.  He didn't mind driving and running errands.  I'm gonna miss my buddy.  ~smile~smile~

Making dinner tonight was weird.  Normally I would make more.  Quite a bit more for Curtis.  Not anymore.  Dinner was super easy.  We did pancakes.  But I only made 4 of them.  Enough for Kevin and Lexi.  Kyle and I were not hungry.  How cool is that?  Well, it's good and then it's hard.  We are missing our Curtis a lot all ready.  You never really realize how much one child influences your entire household until they are gone.  It's interesting and amazing to me all at the same time.  That boy is going to be missed by all of us for sure.  How could we NOT miss that boy?

Well, my eyes are really sore.  Sorry to cut this short, but I am hoping for a nap.  Even if it's just for 1/2 an hour.  Then  I want to watch my show.....Scandal.  Love it!

Well, you take care my friends.  I do appreciate all of you.  Talk to you soon.

Quote of the Day:
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...