Friday, March 20, 2015

Friday!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) Friday afternoons!  Love that moment when my weekend begins.
2) All the help received from EVERYONE to prepare and get Curtis out on his mission.

Goals for the Day:

1) Basic cleaning around the house.
2) Laundry.  It never ends.
3) Visit the grocery store.

From the Camera:

Look out New York.  Here comes Curtis!


From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea....

Many people find it quite difficult to ask someone for help. They feel that they are inconveniencing the other person or "unloading" on them. The next time you see someone who looks down or frustrated, offer to help them. Simply ask how you could help make a situation better.
Are there things you could teach them? Is there a task you could do for them? Offer to help, and then find out specifically how you can help. They will be so glad you did! And you will be, too.

Benefits:

When we help others we develop a deep sense of satisfaction. Helping others adds a sense of purpose and meaning to our lives, and it helps us recognize we aren't alone in this world. When you are helping other people you take your focus off of yourself and have a bigger perspective. Sometimes it is refreshing to stop worrying about your own problems and help someone else tackle theirs. And when you return to your own problems later, they often don't seem nearly as daunting!

Step It Up:

Make helping others your lifestyle. Commit to volunteer weekly or monthly at a local youth shelter or soup kitchen. Do one thing everyday that helps another person: hold the door open for someone; drop someone's mail off at the post office; take your neighbor's dog for a walk; fold your sister's laundry; make dinner for your spouse. Include your friends and family in this life style and invite them to help people each day as well. At the dinner table encourage your family to share what they did to help others that day. Or keep a journal of all the things you did to help others in a day and record how those helpful acts made you feel.

Keep It Simple:

Start with those closest to you. Ask you sibling, spouse or best friend what you could do for them to help them out. Pick one person and do one helpful thing for them a week. Sometimes they will say there is nothing you can do, but don't let that stop you! You can bake them cookies or help them with their homework or chores. Be creative and find a way to help even if they don't give you a straight answer. Sometimes it can be awkward to ask someone face to face if you can help them, so try giving them a call or sending them an email asking how you can help.

From the Kitchen:

This is a knock-off of a salad at Zupas.  It's their barbecue Chicken salad.

close_up_salad
salad_only
Zupas’ BBQ Chicken Salad*serves 4-6
Ingredients:
  • 1 large head of Romaine or red-leaf lettuce
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2-3 Roma tomatoes, cut into small pieces
  • ½ red onion, diced
  • handful of tortilla-chip strips
  • 2 chicken breasts
  • Ranch Dressing
  • BBQ Sauce
Directions: 
  1. Bring a pot of water or chicken broth to a boil and add the chicken breasts. Cover with a lid and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from the water and allow to cool. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
    *note: If you’re in a hurry, you can use pre-cooked or frozen grilled chicken strips.
  2. Chop the lettuce into small pieces, rinse, and pat dry.
  3. In a large bowl, combine corn, beans, diced onions, tomatoes, and chicken. Toss with some ranch dressing and BBQ sauce. Sprinkle with tortilla-chip strips, and enjoy!
    *note: for an even healthier version, opt for a lighter ranch dressing such as Miracle Harvest Creamy Ranch Dressing.
dressing
wholemeal
From the Spirit:

Our "children are an heritage of the Lord" (Psalm 127:3). He knows and loves each one with perfect love (see Moroni 8:17). What a sacred responsibility Heavenly Father places upon us as parents to partner with Him in helping His choice spirits become what He knows they can become.
This divine privilege of raising our children is a much greater responsibility than we can do alone, without the Lord's help. He knows exactly what our children need to know, what they need to do, and what they need to be to come back into His presence. He gives mothers and fathers specific instruction and guidance through the scriptures, His prophets, and the Holy Ghost.
In a latter-day revelation through the Prophet Joseph Smith, the Lord instructs parents to teach their children to understand the doctrine of repentance, faith in Christbaptism, and the gift of the Holy Ghost. Notice the Lord doesn't just say we are to "teach the doctrine"; His instructions are to teach our children to "understand the doctrine." (See D&C 68:25, 28; emphasis added.)
In Psalms we read, "Give me understanding, and I shall keep thy law; yea, I shall observe it with my whole heart" (Psalm 119:34).
Teaching our children to understand is more than just imparting information. It's helping our children get the doctrine into their hearts in a way that it becomes part of their very being and is reflected in their attitudes and behavior throughout their lives.
–  Cheryl A. Esplin, “Teaching Our Children to Understand“, April 2012 General Conference
From the Schmidt's:

Saying I am excited that it's Friday is an understatement!  I am excited for so many reasons.  First because I can go home and sleep.  I am SO tired.  This whole sending out a missionary has worn me out!  I need to catch up on sleep.  Something weird happened today.  The back of my right knee has been hurting for about 2 months now.  It feels bruised and it hurts to bend it, and when I try to kneel on the floor the bruising pain is very intense.  Needless to say I tend to avoid doing that.  Today while I was on the phone my left arm feels the same way.  I can't bend my wrist down without it hurting a lot!  Not fun!  I'm hoping it's just something that will go away and I will be done with it.  The last, but certainly not the least, reason I am excited it's Friday is because Curtis had his P-day today and we got emails.  LOVE that!  

That boy.  WOW!

The letter.

WOW!

Let's just say he has hit the ground running and I am so proud of him.  And humbled at the same time.

He spent most of his letter thanking me for pushing him to get to the point he is at now.  Talk about humbling!  I read his email while I was on break and re-read it quickly while I was in my office.  Then I let my co-worker read it too.  THIS. IS. A. PROUD. MOMMA. MOMENT. FOR. SURE!!!!

I love that boy!

I came home from work and Kevin made sure everyone had the house picked up for me.  Thank you, honey!  That means so much.  Now all I need to do is keep things up and take care of a couple of things.  I love that!  

Kyle got a job today.  He starts on Sunday of all days.  Darn, darn, darn.  BUT, hopefully this Sunday thing is just a one time thing.  He wants to be able to get to church every Sunday.  Hopefully he will be able to get a shift that will not require him to work on Sundays.  BUT, we are very happy for Kyle.  This will be good.  It's fairly close to home.  He will be able to use his fork lift license and then after a week or two he can get back to his weight lifting training again.  His coaches are anxious to get him back into the gym for training.  He has a regional competition in Utah coming up soon.  I'm not sure he will be ready to compete in that, but he is going to try.  

Lexi is doing really well with her classes again this session.  She has a huge load this time.  She is having fun with her science experiments.  I have a glass with one of them on my kitchen counter now.  It has to be there for about a week.  Can you say YUCK!  But, it's for her grade.  I will put up with it for a week.  BUT, only a week.  ~smile~smile~

We haven't heard anything from Danielle since the airport.  I'm sure she is working and everything.  I bet we see her sometime this weekend.  Besides it was only Wednesday when we saw her.  It wasn't that long ago.  Ha Ha!

This next week is going to be a busy one too.  Kevin gets the temporary nerve stimulator Friday.  We are hoping and praying this thing works for him.  We have heard good and not so good about these things.  I guess if they actually work they are life changing.  If they don't it is what it is.  We are praying Kevin will be one of the ones this thing works on.  He needs this!

Our house is quieter now that Curtis is gone.  No bantering between Kyle and Curtis.  No wrestling on the floor or furniture.  No arguing between siblings.  No constant talking from Curtis.  This is weird.  If this is what not having kids around is like, then I'm not sure I am ready for this.  It's almost too quiet and I no likey this!  

Well, it's getting late.  I really need to get this posted.  Take care everyone and we will talk again soon.  


From the Missionary:


I've decided to add a new section to my posts from time to time.  This will be the spot that I share portions of letters from our missionary.  Here is the first letter I received from Curtis today.  Let me explain something.... Curtis never had a real problem with his language.  It was the things he said that implied certain things that I always warned him about.   Hence the reason for the comment about his language......


Hey Mom,

 How is everything at home?  Everything here is awesome.  I'm learning so much about how to share the gospel and I'm learning a ton about how to listen to the spirit.  It's awesome to see just how much I knew before the MTC.  I'm so excited that i get to share this amazing gospel and teach them about the atonement because that is really what the gospel is about.  And to see how anything you teach someone revolves around Christ and His atonement.  We learned today that the purpose of a missionary is the same as any general authority and even the same purpose as our heavenly father.  It's amazing to see just how important missionary work is and that we are literally acting on gods behalf.  I told Dad about all my info and those things so he should tell you.  Mom thank you for all the outstanding things you do for me.  Another thing we talked about is that a parents purpose in the gospel is the same, to help your children receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and His atonement, repentance, baptism, and receiving the gift of the holy ghost, and enduring to the end, and that's exactly what you and dad have done.  Just like missionaries you couldn't force us to go on missions or read Scriptures or any of those things, but you taught us the importance of doing those things.  Mom thank you for all that you have done for me, since I got into the MTC I feel like I would be making you proud. I have started so many habits that were hard before.  I read my scriptures, pray (all the time), and I have cleaned up my language to be more missionary like.  I can already see the blessings of these habits.  I feel the spirit everyday when I teach and do the things missionaries do.  Again, thank you mom.  Ha Ha  I've been saying that a lot but, that's because I mean it.  Let me know how home is and all that stuff,


Love, 

Elder Schmidt


Quote of the Day:



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...