Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Throw back Thursday

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1)  My boys who run errands for me day and night.  I woke up this morning and Curtis was up.  So, I had him run to QT to get air in one of my tires.  I think I must have a slow leak in one.  A while back we put three new tires on but one was still pretty good.  I guess this one with the leak must be our old tire.  Time to go to Discount Tire I guess.

2) Quick work weeks!  I am so glad this is Thursday and we only have one more day before the weekend.

From the Camera:

This is a photo of me with our cat.  A Margay named Tobasco.
My parents had a couple exotic pets when we lived in Texas.  In fact, on the Air Force Base.  Look how happy the kitty looks!  

This is another photo of me in the backyard at the same house with our Dobermans.  I loved these dogs!  April was the one sitting next to me and Lancer was the little one standing up.  WOW!  These photos bring back memories.

I remember when someone tried to break in to our home and found the exotic cat.  Imagine that surprise?  I also remember one time the cat got out of it's room and got into the fridge and got into the ketchup.  It looked like we had blood everywhere, but it was just ketchup.  My parents were always doing something with animals.  In fact, my parents spent a lot of time at local Zoos.  My mother was known for painting murals in a tiger's cage.  The tiger wouldn't let anyone but my mother into the cage one day.  In fact, the cat was most fond of my mother's cashmere sweater and she had to leave it with the cat.  Then there were the countless visits to the Phoenix Zoo growing up.  I remember times spent behind the scenes at the Zoo feeding the animals and getting to know the care takers.  In fact, one time I got to ride on a baby elephant, which I thought was the coolest thing.  It was late at night and after the Zoo was closed.  It was pretty awesome.  Oh the memories.

From the Heart:

In keeping with out theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea....

Many parents of young children can’t afford to go out as much as they like because they don't have time, or can't afford the added expense of a babysitter.
Give a family with small children a chance they might not have by donating a couple hours of your time to watch their children for free.

Benefits

Being a parent can be a lot of work and tiring. Offering to babysit for someone who can't afford a babysitter will give the parents a much-needed break.

Step It Up

Teenagers can put an ad in a neighborhood newsletter or church bulletin, offering free babysitting services to parents who need a break.

Keep It Simple

Offer to spend an evening watching a friend’s or relative’s kids.
From the Kitchen:

LEMON COOKIES
Ingredients
  • 1 box lemon cake mix (I used a 16.25 oz box)
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • Juice from one lemon
  • Grated lemon peel from one lemon
  • 1 cup pink and yellow Nestle Springtime Morsels (or white chocolate chips)
Instructions
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well to combine. Dough will be quite sticky. Chill covered in refrigerator for 30-60 minutes.
When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degree F. Once oven is ready, remove cookie dough from fridge and drop by spoonfuls (approximately 1-2 tablespoons per cookie) onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
Bake for 7-10 minutes or until very lightly browned.
Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Store tightly covered



From the Spirit:

There’s a Little Bit of Great in All of Us – Song by: Susan Boyle


There was a time when men were kind
When their voices were soft
And their words inviting
There was a time when love was blind
And the world was a song
And the song was exciting
There was a time
Then it all went wrong
I dreamed a dream in time gone by
When hope was high
And life worth living
I dreamed that love would never die
I dreamed that God would be forgiving
Then I was young and unafraid
And dreams were made and used and wasted
There was no ransom to be paid
No song unsung, no wine untasted
But the tigers come at night
With their voices soft as thunder
As they tear your hope apart
And they turn your dream to shame
He slept a summer by my side
He filled my days with endless wonder
He took my childhood in his stride
But he was gone when autumn came
And still I dream he’ll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather
I had a dream my life would be
So different from this hell I’m living
So different now from what it seemed
Now life has killed the dream I dreamed.

Susan Boyle is now one of the most popular people on YouTube and people are clamoring to get a CD created by her.  There is something amazing about this story that touches each of us, and we believe has some great spiritual lessons to be learned.
  • Don’t judge a book by it’s cover
  • We all deserve a chance in life
  • Treat everyone you meet with love and respect
  • We all have divine potential
  • YOU CAN DO ANYTHING!
And then when you take into account the lyrics to the song, it takes on even more meaning.  Here is a woman that dreamed her whole life of becoming a singer, but never had the chance.

From the Schmidt's:

Let's go through some random questions.....

1. Do you wear your heart on your sleeve, or keep your emotions tucked in tight?
Probably somewhere in between. ~smile~  
In the past 9 years I have faced all kinds of twists and turns in our family life.  They have caused me so much grief and at times it was so very hard to keep my emotions tucked in tight.  So, I guess my answer would be that it depends on what emotion I am dealing with.  If I am dealing with emotions that are really no one's business then I can definitely keep them tucked in tight. And, if my emotions are running high with excitement, then, the whole world knows. ~grin~
   Not sure any of what I just wrote makes sense. Oh well...... ~big laugh~

2. How did you meet your closest friend?
I would say my closest friend is my husband.  We met at an LDS Young Adult Dance in March of 1985.  I was getting ready to fly back to California to see all my friends from High School during Spring Break, and he was waiting for his mission call.  
I wouldn't say I have a super close friend right now.  I use to a few years back and we did a lot together.  I knew from the moment I saw her right before we moved around the corner from her that we would be fast friends.  Since then we have moved about 5 times and she has moved too.  So, we don't get together much at all anymore.  In fact, I miss her a lot.  The last time I saw her was at a boutique two years ago.
 I guess it's time to make some more friends.  Everyone needs close friends to share things with.

3.  Pink lemonade, grilled salmon, cotton candy, pink grapefruit, a strawberry milkshake, or raspberry sorbet...of the pink foods listed, which one is your favorite? Least favorite? Which one have you most recently consumed?
Hummm...I have always loved pink lemonade!  I remember I would make Kevin stop at the 7-11 on our way home from our paper route right after we got married to pick up a drink of pink lemonade.  I loved that stuff!  I thought it was something to do with being pregnant, but it wasn't.  I still love it!  
Salmon....oh no!  Cotton Candy is nice once in a while.  Pink Grapefruit....YUM!  Strawberry milkshake...not so much.  Raspberry Sorbet...sure!  I also like those pink waffer cookies you can get at the store for a buck.  Those are wonderful!  I would say out of all of these Pink Grapefruit and the waffer cookies have recently been consumed.  
4. When were you last 'tickled pink' over something? Explain.
The last time would be when we had our family Christmas.  I am always "tickled pink" when the big kids and little kids are thrilled with our gifts to them and they were pretty thrilled this past Christmas.  It wasn't because we spent a lot of money....because we didn't have it to spend.  BUT, it was because there were no expectations and that was awesome. ~big smile~

5. Are you a fan of television talk shows? Daytime, nighttime, or both? What's your favorite?
I am a fan of television talk shows, day or night.  I will occasionally turn on Ellen if I am NOT working in the family room while they are on.  That's about 3X a year and I enjoy her but I really like Jimmy Fallon and The Tonight Show, but I get a chance to watch it very often. ~in case you were interested~

6. When was the last time you wanted to ask a question, but felt too foolish to do so?
I'm sure that has happened to me but right now I cannot remember the last time.  

7. My favorite frozen Greek Yogurt right now is........
Honestly, I've never tried the stuff.  I'm serious!  Never.  I am not a big yogurt person.  So, I will just stick with my plain old vanilla and be happy. 
8.  Insert your own random thought here. 
Let's get down to business....
MISSION PREPARATIONS....
Well, Saturday Curtis (and Kevin) have eye appointments.
Curtis broke his glasses after him and his older brother were wrestling in my 
family room.  We were going to take him last Saturday, but I have to cancel since we had the funeral to go to.  Thankfully all I had to do was move his appointment to the next Saturday.  I love that our eye doctor has Saturday hours.  We go to Optical East on Main and Greenfield and have for years.
Thank Heavens for insurance!

I took a couple of days off next week so we could get things ready for Curtis.
We have 42 days left.  We barely had time to get use to where he was going before we had to shift gears and get things done.  Talk about quick!
More on the Mission plans later.

I guess online school is working out well for Lexi.  She seems to be on top of everything.  Thankfully I can log in and check everything.  As well as reach out to her teachers with the click of the computer keys.  Which is totally awesome!  I love that!  Shoot, if this goes well, we may have to have her take a few extra classes online while attending the public school next semester.  So far, this is great!  

We should have Curtis through the Temple next week if all goes well.  Exciting times!  I guess we will have to make arrangements for Lexi to hang out with Danielle that day too.  That seems strange to me for some reason.  Not the Temple part, but not taking our girls with us.  I want us all together especially in the Temple.  I guess the girls together just makes me feel better about leaving them makes me feel better.  I know that sounds silly.  I guess it's a mother thing. 

Well, I need to get going.  Work is calling my name.  You all take care and we will talk soon.

Quote of the Day:



 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...