Sunday, February 1, 2015

Sunday, Monday, Happy Days!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) The influence of good women throughout my life.  The first being my mother, then my teachers, leaders, sisters, relatives, and friends.  What a blessing each of them have been in my life.  Thank you for all you have done and continue to do for me.  Words cannot express what your influence means to me.

2) Miracles!  Those that happen every day if you are willing to take the time to see them.  They are there.  They really are.  It is those daily miracles that remind me that my Heavenly Father is very much aware of me and wants to take an active part in all that I do. What a blessing that is.

From the Camera:

Do you remember my gallery wall in my family room?

Well, take a look at it now....YIKES!


What the heck????......

I'm so bummed!  Some of the pictures have shifted and some have just come completely down.  Command Hooks in the blistering Arizona Heat, is not always a good combination. (Yes, I have waited this long.  I just didn't know what to do...get more Command Hooks or break out the nails?....Decisions, Decisions.)  Don't get me wrong, I still like Command Hooks, but maybe not for my entire wall next time.  Time to fix this.  Fun fun. ~smile~

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea.
Sew for Free....
This idea is something I see happen a lot in my church and even when I visit the local fabric stores.  It is always amazing to see this. I am always surprised at who these woman are and their ages. It is awesome!  They inspire me.  Here are these elderly women of all walks of life donating their time to help others.  They sew for charities, hospitals, homeless shelters, and who knows what else.  They are wonderful!  I could learn a thing or two from these sweet women.  Read on.....

If you are a whiz with a needle and thread, offer to mend, hem or sew someones clothes for free. Perhaps a friend of yours is getting married and needs her wedding dress or bridesmaids dresses hemmed. Or maybe your neighbor is constantly looking for a good place to hem his pants. Offer to do these services for free!

Benefits:

You get to do something you enjoy while also helping out a friend, neighbor, or stranger. Many people cannot afford to buy new clothes but you can help them make their old clothes look as good as new!

Step It Up:

Volunteer at a local soup kitchen or homeless shelter. While there, take the time to ask the people there if they need anything hemmed or mended. Commit to going once a week and let them know you will be there to help each time. There are many ways to use the gift of sewing to help people.

Keep It Simple:

If you don't have a lot of time on hand, just commit to doing something small each month. Maybe patch a hole in someones favorite jeans, or fix a zipper on someones winter jacket.
From the Kitchen:

Slow Cooker Corn on the Cob
Assemble these supplies and ingredients: 
  • A slow cooker. I have 2 models. My favorite is an oval-shaped 6.5 qt. programmable Crock Pot.
  • Aluminum foil for wrapping individual ears of corn. Pre-cut aluminum foil sheets are convenient and can be found at many grocery stores, in big boxes at Costco and Sam's, and on Amazon.
  • Ears of corn, husked and silk removed; how many you cook depends on the size of your slow cooker. I can fit 8 to 10 ears in my crock pot. The ears can be cut in half to make them fit better or for smaller portions.
  • Olive oil
  • Salt (I use sea salt)
  • Pepper, freshly ground preferred
  • Seasonings for added flavors (explained in detail below): fresh herbs, chili powder, ground cumin, lime juice, Sriracha, pesto, curry powder, coconut milk
  • Holders for cobs of corn. These make it much tidier to eat corn on the cob. They also keep your fingers from burning from the spiciness of  Sriracha corn ears and prevent yellow fingers from the Curry corn ears.
Sea Salt & Pepper Corn on the Cob
Step 1. Place a corn ear in the center of a sheet of foil, brush it all over with olive oil, and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and salt.

Step 2. Tightly wrap the corn ear in the foil. The photos below illustrate how to get a tight leak-proof seal. Pull up the two sides of foil over the center of the corn ear (lengthwise), fold over the top approx. 1/2 inch, continue folding it over until the fold is flattened against the top of the corn. Pinch in the foil on each end and roll it up towards the cob end.

Step 3. Place the foil wrapped cobs of corn, seam side up, inside the slow cooker. No need to add any water. Cover. Here are the cooking times for my slow cooker. For 4-6 ears with the slow cooker approx. 3/4 full, cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours. For 8-10 ears with the slow cooker filled all the way to the top, cook on high for 3 hours and on low for 5 hours.
  • NOTE: these are approximate times; slow cookers can vary widely in how hot and quickly they cook. So, you may need to make adjustments. If your slow cooker has a warm setting, you can hold the corn on warm for at least an hour after it is cooked.
The result of this simple method with light seasonings is moist, sweet, and flavorful. It tastes so great that I don't even miss the butter.
More seasoning combinations. It's easy to customize corn on the cob to complement a variety of meals. You can make a bunch with the same seasonings, or make a variety of combinations. Since they're tightly sealed in foil, the different flavors stay contained and won't migrate to each other when they are cooked together. Here are some of my favorite seasonings. 
I don't give exact measurements of seasonings, because the amounts are so small that they aren't easily measurable. Hopefully, my photos can give you an idea of how much to season them. The truth is the seasonings don't have to be precise--brush, drizzle and sprinkle a moderate amount and you should be good.
From the Spirit:
A doctor entered the hospital in hurry after being called in for an urgent surgery. He answered the call asap, changed his clothes & went directly to the surgery block. He found the boy’s father pacing in the hall waiting for the doctor.
On seeing him, the dad yelled:
“Why did you take all this time to come? Don’t you know that my son’s life is in danger? Don’t you have any sense of responsibility?”
The doctor smiled & said:
“I am sorry, I wasn’t in the hospital & I came as fast as I could after receiving the call…… And now, I wish you’d calm down so that I can do my work”
“Calm down?! What if your son was in this room right now, would you calm down? If your own son dies now what will you do??” said the father angrily
The doctor smiled again & replied: “I will say what Job said in the Holy Book “From dust we came & to dust we return, blessed be the name of God”. Doctors cannot prolong lives. Go & intercede for your son, we will do our best by God’s grace”
“Giving advises when we’re not concerned is so easy” Murmured the father.
The surgery took some hours after which the doctor went out happy,
“Thank goodness!, your son is saved!” And without waiting for the father’s reply he carried on his way running. “If you have any questions, ask the nurse!!”
“Why is he so arrogant? He couldn’t wait some minutes so that I ask about my son’s state” Commented the father when seeing the nurse minutes after the doctor left.
The nurse answered, tears coming down her face: “His son died yesterday in a road accident, he was at the burial when we called him for your son’s surgery. And now that he saved your son’s life, he left running to finish his son’s burial.”
Moral: Never judge anyone….. because you never know how their life is & what they’re going through”
From the Schmidt's:

Online classes start today!  Back to life, back to reality for Lexi.  ~smile~
Did you watch the Super Bowl last night?  We did.  I wasn't impressed.  The commercials were OK.  Nothing really good.
I am not a fan of Katie Perry or Missy Elliott.  In fact, I was surprised to hear Missy Elliott sing any of her songs.  Frankly, I never thought they were prime time material.  Especially with young children watching.  She has some pretty bad lyrics, in my opinion.  All-in-all, I am glad I didn't watch that much of the Super Bowl.  Instead I did dishes, made dinner, and watched a movie on my laptop.  Yeah!

Honestly, the best part of the night was Jimmy Fallon on the Tonight Show when he did his lip syncing part with Will Ferrell and Kevin Hart and Drew Barrymore showed up too.  That was the best!  Loved that! 


Kevin (my husband Kevin that is.) has been down and in bed all weekend.  He is done with the one doctor and the surgery for the Nerve Stimulator has been approved by this doctor.  Now its on to the next step.  The temporary placement of the Stimulator.  Then to the permanent placement.  All of this while we are trying to get a missionary out the door.  WOW!  It will be good.  We will get this done.  All of it.  Just watch me.  ~smile~smile~

I was asked to work on something with someone I prefer to keep my distance from.  I have to say, I was happy to be asked, but scared.  Words from the funeral this Saturday from my friends brother keep ringing through my mind...."I can do hard things."  Believe me, no one knows this more than I do when it comes to certain things.  But not so much with other things.  I'm trying to not let this bother me.  I'm trying to let it go and just do it.  Thoughts of all the people who have ever thought I was hard to deal with and their faces are running through my mind as I type this.  I too can do hard things.  

Well, work is calling....calling....calling my name.  Saying: "Sondra, can you check into this....?"   "Sondra, can you take a look at this?"  Sound familiar?  I think the same kind of thing happens at home too.  Fun fun.  Well gotta go. 
Take care we will talk again soon.

Quote of the Day:

By: Sheri Dew 
WHO IS SHE????  
She is........
Member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Chief Executive Editor of Deseret Book Company
Director of the Bonneville International Corporation
Former First Counselor in the Relief Society General Presidency
Author and Biographer to Ezra Taft Benson 
and Gordon B. Hinckley
Member of the U.S. Delegation to the Commission on the Status of Women and Girls at the United Nations.
Member of both the BYU Marriott School of Management's
National Advisory Council and the 
President's Leadership Council for BYU-Hawaii.
Well known Worldwide Motivational Speaker 
Former USO Tour Member
Basketball Player
A Midwestern Farmer's Daughter
BYU Graduate
AND
Breast Cancer Survivor
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...