Sunday, February 15, 2015

Sunday, a Day to Reflect.

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) The choices I have made in life.  Sure, I've made many mistakes, but there are many choices I have made that were right too.

2) Answered prayers.  It's sometimes funny how some people come into your life and answers just flow from them.  I had that experience this past week and I am so grateful that person came into my life.  I got my hair cut and colored the other day and the lady that did my hair shared a bunch of things that changed her life for the better.  She talked about some things I never even considered because I thought the end result was unobtainable.  She even said those words.  While she was coloring and cutting my hair we talked for a while.  She gave me some tips and shared her experience.  It was amazing.  Some of the same things I had been praying about, questions asked, being answered through this person I didn't even know and who was not of my faith.  It was awesome!  I couldn't thank her enough and I have been thanking my Heavenly Father every day for putting us together ever since.  

From the Camera:




Looks like Lexi got a hold of my phone again.  These are just a few of her selfies.  Silly girl.  I love the cross-eyed shot.  

From the Heart:
In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea.....

This one my dad is really good at.  I love getting his ecards!  It always makes a hard day that much easier to get through.  Thanks Dad.

Not only is technology a great information resource, it can be a wonderful communication tool. Computers and the Internet have made it easy for you to remind someone you are thinking of them with a click of a button!
You don’t need a special occasion to send someone an e-mail or ecard to let them know you care about them, or just to keep in touch with someone you haven't seen in a while.

Step It Up

Send someone an ecard for their birthday or a holiday or just to let them know you care!

Keep It Simple

Write a quick e-mail to someone you care about. Include a fun graphic.

From the Kitchen:


CINNAMON BREAD
(makes 2 loaves)

Batter:

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk or 2 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons vinegar or lemon juice
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda

Cinnamon/sugar mixture:

2/3 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon 

Cream together butter, 2 cups of sugar, and eggs.  Add milk, flour, and baking soda.  Put 1/2 of batter (or a little less) into greased loaf pans (1/4 in each pan).  Mix in separate bowl the 2/3 c sugar and cinnamon.  Sprinkle 3/4 of cinnamon mixture on top of the 1/2 batter in each pan.  Add remaining batter to pans; sprinkle with last of cinnamon topping.  Swirl with a knife.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 min.  or until toothpick tester come clean.  
Cool in pan for 20 minutes before removing from pan.


I have also made this bread in muffin tins which made it a little easier to freeze and take out as needed.

From the Spirit:


He's My Son
Taken from the Album "Mark Shultz" (Amazon MP3 download, website)

I'm down on my knees again tonight
I'm hoping this prayer will turn out right
You see there is a boy that needs your help
His mother is tired
I'm sure you can understand
I've done all that I can do myself
Each night as he sleeps
She goes in to hold his hand
And she tries
Not to cry
As the tears
Fill her eyes

[Chorus]

Can you hear me?
Am I getting through tonight?
Can you see him?
Can you make him feel alright?
If you can hear me
Let me take his place somehow
See he's not just anyone
He's my son

Sometimes late at night I watch him sleep
I dream of the boy he'd like to be
But God, who he needs right now, is you
I try to be strong and see him through

Let him grow old
Live life without this fear
What would I be
Livin' without him here
He's so tired
And he's scared
Let him know 
That you're there

[Chorus]

[Chorus]

Can you hear me?
Can you hear me?
Please don't leave him
He's my son

This song is pretty amazing for me as a mother of children.  Anyone that has children knows that they would do anything to take away the suffering of a child.  How we wish we could take our children's suffering away.

I can't help but think of a Heavenly Father who loves us all when I hear this song.  How he must have suffered to watch his son, the Christ, suffer for us all.  But he knew that it was part of the plan.  He know that it had to be done.

From the Schmidt's:

It takes a village!  I am so grateful for good friends in our ward that help me keep my kids at church for all of their meetings.  Sis. Weber you are awesome!  Lexi was all set to come home with us after sacrament, but Sis. Weber encouraged Lexi to stay.  Love that!  Thank you!

To be honest, I am surprised any of us made it to church today.  Kevin is shaking like a leaf in pain.  I have a splitting headache that started last night.  Lexi said her stomach was bothering her, and Curtis....well, he has a headache and his throat is bad.  His tonsils are golf ball size again.  Arg!  BUT...Lexi, Kevin and I made it in spite of our aches and pains.  Curtis he was a wreck so he stayed in bed.  Kyle even got up and went to the singles ward too.  Yes!  This makes me happy.  

On our way home from church today Kevin shared something Curtis did while he was in the temple that made me feel good.  Kevin said while the three of them, Kevin, Curtis, and Kyle, were taking their seats in the front row of the endowment room Curtis left an empty seat next to Kevin.  When Kevin asked Curtis why he did that he said, "I'm saving a seat for Mom so she can sit next to you."  Kevin had to explain where I would be sitting and then Curtis and Kyle moved closer to Kevin.  But, I love that he thought of me since I couldn't be with him through the rest of the ordinance.  
Kevin said the new Temple President is one of his old seminary teachers.  Kevin, Curtis, and Kyle got to spend a lot of time with him in his office talking before they took Curtis through.  It was great for all of them to talk with the President for a while.  He shared a lot and Curtis, Kevin, and Kyle learned a lot too.  It was good.  President Meacham even spent time in the rest of the session with us.  He was there at the final phase of the temple session.  I got to meet him just before the endowment session began.  Then as all of us were getting ready to leave the temple he met with all of us again.  He is a neat man.  I'm glad I got to meet him and I'm glad he took the time to really talk to Curtis before everything began.  Especially if he put up with Kevin during his high school years.  Ha Ha!  

It's been a crazy week.  Full of lots of ups and downs for us.  First with Kevin going to the hospital.  I still can't believe  how that day went down.  Curtis took Kevin to the hospital that day.  I had intended for him to come home right after dropping him off so he could take me to work.  BUT, something stopped me and said, "No, you need to be here with your husband."  I am so glad I listened to that prompting because I didn't realize just how bad Kevin's situation was at 5 am that Monday morning.  I thought he was just in pain and couldn't get out of bed.  I didn't know he was having chest pain and short of breath until I got to his bed side in the Emergency Room.  I was threatening an ambulance ride because Kevin couldn't get out of bed.  I should have called.  If I would have known he was having chest pain I would have called.  I know better than to mess with chest pain.  Getting him with a health care professional is the best option for check pain anytime!  He could have had a heart attack in the car and then what would I do?  Someone was watching out for us that morning that is for sure.  Then to have him admitted to the hospital!  WOW!  In my wildest dreams I honestly did not think that would happen that day.  I thought they would get his pain under control with medication and send him home.  I had no idea.  I am so grateful to that Emergency Physician.  He didn't take any chances with Kevin.  He could see the distress on his face.  Thankfully all the tests came back good.  No heart attack.  BUT, we found out Kevin has a heart murmur.  That we didn't know.  That was the first time we ever heard that for Kevin.  Lexi had one.  I have one.  Danielle has one.  BUT NOT KEVIN!  He has never been told that.  Now we know.  Thankfully Kevin's murmur is not something that needs to be surgically repaired like Lexi's had to be.  See...even more blessings!  

Then later in the week, after Kevin came home from the hospital, he had other doctor's appointments.  I had a doctor's appointment.  AND then Curtis went through the temple for the first time!  That was amazing and wonderful!  Sure, we didn't have ANY family there with us.  But, we had a few friends there with us.  That was nice.  Some of the names people in the session took through had the last name of Schmidt.  They were born in the 1700's or the 1800's.  No one we knew.  All born in Germany.  Probably family in some way, I would bet.  I know Kevin's family came from somewhere near Russia before they migrated to the United States.  Which I found to be interesting because they are of German decent.  Even so, it felt like we were at the temple with family from the other side or the Vail and that was very cool!  

The name I took through the session was for a woman that had a birthday the day before, February 12th.  So, I was able to give her a birthday present.  One she has probably been waiting on for a very long time.  She was born in 1852.  It must be very hard to patiently wait for someone to do your temple work while you are on the other side of the Vail, if you didn't have the chance to do it yourself.  I can only imagine the thrill it must be to finally have your work done.  I know this dear sister was very happy to finally have this part of her work complete.  I felt that there that day.  

I love doing that kind of thing.  I love being able to go and do temple work.  Now I need to talk to my parents about getting the temple work done for our family members.  I want to do that for my grandparents and the other members of our family.  We have so much work to do.  It's time.  My dad has been very busy searching out all our family members.  In fact, he has been quite successful in getting a lot done.  I want to help.  I want to take some of those names through the temple and be a part in this.  I want to feel that feeling we had when we went through the temple for Kevin's grandparents again.  I loved that!  That was an awesome feeling to do the work for family.  It was great!  I want my husband to do it with me, and my kids too.  That would make it even more special.  Time to talk to my parents and see how they feel about that.  I'm sure they won't mind.  I'm sure they will be excited for that step to get done too.

Well, like I said before, it's been a busy week for our family.  One with a lot of ups and downs, twists and turns.  BUT, we got through it and will continue to move forward.  We have about 4 weeks before Curtis leaves.  It looks like his farewell talk will be on March 15th.  In fact, it is going to be a farewell and a welcome home for a sister missionary in our ward.  So, our building will be busy that day.  We are excited.  It will be good.  Curtis would leave tomorrow if he had the chance.  Thankfully he is not quite ready yet.  To be honest, Mom and Dad aren't quite ready to see Curtis leave yet.  We will be by  the time March 18th comes along.  We are excited, but we also want to savor every moment too.  It's going to be good.

Well, you all take care.  I hope you have a wonderful day and a terrific week.  We will talk again soon.

Quote of the Day:

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...