Sunday, February 8, 2015

~smile~It's Sunday~smile~

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) My husband who is still very much aware of and involved in all of our lives even during his roughest days.  This past couple of days he has been in more pain then I have seen him in in quite some time.  Even through all of that he is still keeping up on Lexi and her schooling, Curtis and his mission, Kyle and weightlifting, football watching, schooling and his future, and Danielle and her schooling, work, and her future.  Even after he announced to me that the medicine we picked up for him Friday took a little of the edge off, but wasn't completely doing the trick, he then tells me about his concerns for one of our children and we talked for 15-20 minutes about this child.  He amazes me.  I love that man!

2) The weather!  I like that it warms up during the day, but cools down quite a bit at night.  This is the perfect weather.  Love that!

From the Camera:
Remember this?  My front door for Valentine's last year.


It's almost Valentine's Day and I do not have any decorations up.  Not a one!  I'm slacking this year.  I still have most of this stuff, except the big heart on the door.  BUT, I could make another one, or do something completely different.  How about something like this.....


Or this... I absolutely LOVE tulips!


Check out this door.  Super simple, super bold and oh so cute!
I like the black door.  In fact, I may have to paint mine all black now too.  Love that!


This next one is super cute and super easy.  I would just have to remember to water the flowers.  Which isn't always something I do. Hence the reason I like to deal with fresh up flowers because there really isn't much watering to deal with.  The flowers are cut.  I don't do so well with real plants.



I am loving these boxwood wreaths.  So simple yet so trendy right now.  Everyone is looking for boxwood these days.


Aren't these heart cut outs super fun and super cute!  I love the hot pink color too.  If only I had the time to make them.  I would so be in the garage doing this one myself.  That is after someone showed me how to use the saw. 


This next one is right up my alley.  I love how romantic this wreath looks.  I could so do this one, but it would so cost a small fortune.  Love it!

\

I guess I have some decisions to make and I better do it quickly.  Or else Valentine's Day is going to just pass right by us.  I need your help.  Which one do you think I should pick?

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, here is another idea....one I never thought was an act of kindness, but I guess I was wrong.

Here's a cool fact: Your body is nearly 70% water. The water in your body helps carry nutrients and oxygen into cells, it helps moisturize the air in your lungs, it helps protect your vital organs and helps regulate our body temperature. It is often an easy and quick fix to a headache, too! Headaches often occur due to dehydration. Drink more water and have less headaches! The bottom line is: Drink more water! It is essential to your health. And when you are healthy and energetic it is easy to be kind!

Benefits:

Besides being necessary for proper body function, drinking a lot of water can also help you lose weight and give you healthier looking skin. It helps flush toxins, keeping you healthier and more energetic.

Step It Up:

Multiple sources recommend drinking at least 8 to 12 eight ounce glasses of water a day. Do it! If you exercise regularly you may need to drink more water than that. Use a reusable water bottle and carry it with you so you always have water on hand. Try and drink before you get thirsty; once you feel thirsty you are already dehydrated.
Unfortunately not everyone in the world has easy access to clean water. Think about working with an organization committed to bringing clean water to third world countries.

Keep It Simple:

If you have a hard time drinking water, try with replacing one drink each day with a glass of water. Instead of having that soda, juice or coffee grab a glass of water. Or think about diluting your glass of juice by adding water. This way you still get the taste of the juice but with less calories and more water!
I started drinking more water in December and haven't stopped.  I try to drink at least 64 ounces a day.  Really I should be drinking three 32 ounces glasses throughout the day, but I will be honest.  Sometimes I can't get to the water until the end of my day.  It just works out that way and then I can only do two 32 ounce glasses.  BUT, I have noticed a big improvement on how I feel and I have even lost about 18 pounds.  So give it a try.

From the Kitchen:

Best Chocolate Pie Ever by Leigh

Growing up my Mom made this Chocolate Pie that was creamy and delicious!!! NO one knew the recipe and we were too afraid to ask. One Christmas, my mom surprised my sisters and me with the secret recipe. As well as the proper cookware. (It was the best gift ever according to my daughter). Now I get the "wow" at dinner parties when I bring my Mom's famous and VERY easy chocolate pie. Her secret is out and I'm glad that the WORLD can enjoy what I consider to be the best chocolate pie ever.

2 Graham Cracker pie crusts
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa
pinch of salt
4 egg yolks
4 cups milk (2% or whole)
2 t vanilla

1. Measure dry ingredients and stir together until blended.
2. Separate egg yolks and egg whites
3. Add 4 cups milk, beaten egg yolks and vanilla flavoring to dry mixture
4. Heat in microwave on high in 2 minute increments in a glass bowl
5. Stir after each 2 minutes
6. When thickened to right consistency (thick and creamy) pour into pie crusts
7. Cool, then top with whipped cream
Serves 16 (makes 2 pies)

Enjoy this recipe? We have a whole cookbook full in Cooking With Grace: http://modo.ly/1BAfCdm

Best Chocolate Pie Ever by: 
Growing up my Mom made this Chocolate Pie that was creamy and delicious!!! NO one knew the recipe and we were too afraid to ask. One Christmas, my mom surprised my sisters and me with the secret recipe. As well as the proper cookware. (It was the best gift ever according to my daughter). Now I get the "wow" at dinner parties when I bring my Mom's famous and VERY easy chocolate pie. Her secret is out and I'm glad that the WORLD can enjoy what I consider to be the best chocolate pie ever.
2 Graham Cracker pie crusts
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa
pinch of salt
4 egg yolks
4 cups milk (2% or whole)
2 t vanilla
1. Measure dry ingredients and stir together until blended.
2. Separate egg yolks and egg whites
3. Add 4 cups milk, beaten egg yolks and vanilla flavoring to dry mixture
4. Heat in microwave on high in 2 minute increments in a glass bowl
5. Stir after each 2 minutes
6. When thickened to right consistency (thick and creamy) pour into pie crusts
7. Cool, then top with whipped cream
Serves 16 (makes 2 pies)
From the Spirit:

God loves every one of his children--of that we are absolutely assured, we know it in our hearts--but God needs instruments of his love. He needs those who can carry his love and make it meaningful and personal in the lives of others. The shepherd's search for the lost sheep was a mission of grace and so was the joyful journey of the forgiving father when he ran to meet the penitent prodigal who had come to himself and had, with trepidation, started home. – Marion D. Hanks, “Gifts You Can’t Wrap,” New Era, December 1972

From the Schmidt's:

We have a busy day a head of us today.  Especially since Kevin isn't feeling too well.  We got through the roughest part Friday, or at least I think we have.  Kevin is planning on coming to Sacrament Meeting with me and then to our meetings this afternoon.  I just hope he isn't over doing it.  Everyone has said they would come to the house for the meetings if they had to, but Kevin is determined to make it.  I don't know if he doesn't want all the fuss or if he doesn't want me stressing to make the house look perfect before.  Either way, he is determined to make it today.  

This week is going to be a short one for me.  I planned on taking a couple of days off of work so we could start getting Curtis ready to go.  We have lots to do.  Plus I wanted to make it to Kevin's next doctor's appointment.  This is the one where we find out about the next step to the trial run of the nerve stimulator.  I don't know if I have mentioned this or not.  He has a one to two week trial period with a temporary unit to see if it will even work.  If they think it does work then a permanent nerve stimulator will be surgically placed in Kevin.  It sound bionic or something, doesn't it?  Modern science is amazing!  I can't get over the things they do now.  It just amazes me.  Even things like open heart surgery.  It use to be that they always had to open your chest no matter what the issue.  Now a days they don't even have to do that.  They have found new techniques or new ways of doing things.  It makes me wonder if Lexi's open heart surgery would have been different.  Maybe no cracking of the chest, no big scar down the front of her chest, and maybe not such a long recovery time either.  Who knows?  I can't dwell on that.  The procedure saved her life. That is all that matters.

I mentioned that Curtis and Lexi had their eye appointments yesterday, right?  Well Curtis was in the office with the doctor and after his appointment he mentioned that the doctor had been to New York and was telling Curtis all about it, the food, and the people.  It's funny how you start to run into all kinds of people that have been to the place you are going on a mission once you receive your call.  Especially if they are going stateside.  Love that!

Speaking of missionaries.  We have 4 missionaries down our street, in our ward.  One of them will be having surgery today I believe.  They think his appendix needs to be removed and I believe there are some other issues too.  Looks like his recovery time could take about 6 weeks.  Which is not the norm for appendix.  Usually it's about 2 weeks and you are back to a somewhat normal lifestyle.  So, our prayers are with Elder Whetten and his family during this time.  We know Mom and Dad want to be with their son right now, and we know Elder Whetten wants them there too.  BUT, they haven't packed up the car yet.  You see, Elder Whetten is serving in the Long Beach California Mission.  Which is about a 6 hour drive from here.  Talk about faith and obedience on the part of the entire family!  They are an awesome family and we hope Elder Whetten gets through surgery and recovers quickly so he can get back to what he is in Long Beach to do.  

Kyle announced yesterday that he is going to get back to weight lifting again.  He has a competition in May he needs to start getting ready for.  He had decided to put it aside when he signed up for 16 credit hours of classed and working full time.  It was just too much to keep up with.  Now that school isn't such an issue this semester he has decided to get back to his weight lifting.  Which is good.  He needs to get out and do something he enjoys.  

Lexi seems to be doing really well with her online classes.  She is determined to keep her grades up so she can get into their accelerated session next time.  That will help her get through everything and get back on track for her Junior year.  I'm just glad she had this option.  Sometime this month she will have to go and take the Aim's test too.  And you thought this online thing was just a breeze.  Oh no!  She has just as much and sometimes more to keep up with then public school.  Which is good.  I also think this online thing with help her get ready for college.  This will help Lexi learn that a lot of what she does in college with be online and she will have to keep up with everything on her own.  No one will be holding her hand through any of that.  It's a good thing.  Love it!

So, now to me.  There really isn't much to say about me.  In fact, some days I really wonder where the "me" fits into to all of this.  I rarely have time for "me".  In fact, I was looking at my hair last night in the mirror and I can't get over all the grey growing out.  Yikes!  I have hair color in my bathroom.  I just need to get busy and touch up those roots.  BUT, I haven't yet.  The box has been sitting in my bathroom for months now.  And my roots keep growing and growing.  I'm trying to decide if I should just brave it and let them grow out.  What do you think?  OR should I be a slave to the box of hair color for a few more years?  Decisions.  

I got ready for church and then Kevin called me into the bathroom to tell me he couldn't make it today.  He said he would come with me to the appointments later this afternoon, but that's it.  He is scaring me.  I told him if the shortness of breath comes back he is going to the hospital because it's not worth the risk.  That man is stressing me out.

In the middle of church Curtis added this app to my phone so I could count down the days until he leaves on his mission.  Check out the caption.  


"Day of crying".  Can you believe that? Ah that boy. l should not cry the day he leaves and show him.  LOL!  Like that will ever happen.  Like my kids always say, "Mom cries for everything."   I should take that as an insult but I don't. I own that.  It's true.  And I am okay with that.  

Well, we have lots to do.  Take care and we will talk again soon. 

Quote of the Day


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...