Monday, January 26, 2015

Wow! What a Monday!!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1)  Police officers who do their job everyday to protect and serve every day. I Always feel a little safer when I pull into a gas station and they are in the parking lot early in the morning.  I'm so glad they are there.  

2)  Nice friends who are willing and ready to help me at a moments notice.  They are awesome. 

From the Camera:

Look at that girlie smile!  Love that!!!!


From the Heart:



Here is an interesting idea I absolutely LOVE!!!! 
Give an "unbirthday" gift.  Give it with the instructions to only open the gift on a really "bad day".  I bet just having the gift sitting around on a shelf will get the receiver through any truly rotten days.  The recipient might even try and make it their goal to not open the gift at all this week, this month, or even this year!  Who knows?  They just might make it simply because every time they see the present it will seem to wink at them and say, "You're not beat yet, keep going, lady!"  To which they will wink back and say, "You're right."  Just imagine the laughs they will have some day if they finally decide to open the gift and realize there's nothing in it, or it's filled with words of encouragement, or some other little memento to encourage or uplift.  The best part being, of course, that it's filled with love.  Love from a friend who cares about them.  

From the Kitchen:

This recipe looks like something we may need to try sometime.....
Creamy Burrito Casserole
Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 package taco seasoning
6 large flour tortillas
1 can refried beans
2 -3 cups shredded taco cheese or cheddar cheese
1 can cream of mushroom soup
4 ounces sour cream
Directions
Brown beef and onion; drain.
Add taco seasoning and stir in refried beans.
Mix soup and sour cream in a separate bowl.
Spread 1/2 sour cream mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish.
Tear up 3 tortillas and spread over sour cream mixture.
Put 1/2 the meat bean mixture over that.
Add a layer of cheese.
Repeat the layers.
Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 20-30 minutes.
From the Spirit:
I don’t know how many of you listen to the MormonChannel, but it is fantastic!  One of my very favorite features is the Music with a Message Feature!  This morning I was listening to the first episode and there was a song by Julie de Azevedo called “Joy in the Journey” that I just love.  I found it on YouTube below ( this song is the first 5 minutes or so).

Lyrics:
We may not see the end from the beginning
We cannot comprehend all the Father has in store
We may not have the answers to the question
But through the life that we’ve been given
He longs to teach us more
Every rock we stumble across
Can be a stepping stone
There are precious hidden treasure
Scattered all along the road
Chorus:
There is joy in the journey
Joy in the climb
Twisted and turning
Reaching for the open sky
Carving out each footstep.
In the struggling we find
There is hope, there is joy
in the journey
We cannot know what is coming round the corner
We may not see the mountains or the valleys up ahead
so every day we put our faith in heaven
and in the light of the morning we find strength to rise again
all of us are travelers searching for our home
in the learning we are not alone
Chorus
There is joy
So much joy
There is joy in the journey
Twisting, turning, reaching and learning
There is Joy

I think that often in our lives we get caught up in all the needs to get done and don’t stop to reflect and see the magnificent journey we are all on! It may be hard and twisted and not go exactly where we want, but we so so many beautiful things along the way.  Look for the joy in what you are doing today!  Enjoy!!

From the Schmidt's:

This has been a strange Monday for sure! Full of twists and turns at every corner.  It started when I got into my car this morning and nearly ran over a poor high school student I couldn't see in the crosswalk at Mesa High.  Oh my goodness I felt horrible as I pulled into the seminary parking lot!  It was completely pitch black outside and I was concerned about my car because the display screen said my air pressure on one of my tires was at 16 pounds.  I told Lexi to apologize to that girl if she saw her in the seminary building for me.  Thank heavens she was awake and watching and stopped as I cruised through the crosswalk.  Oh my heck!  Oh my heck!  Needless to say, that woke me up.

 After I dropped Lexi of I went to a gas station to add air to my tire.  The tire looked good and felt tight, but when I started the car the display gauge didn't change at all.  So I drove a bit and stopped again when I got to Phoenix to add more air.  This time I checked both the left and the right tires.  Both looked good and felt extremely full of air.  This time when I started the car, same thing the internal gauge in the car didn't move for one tire.  Arg!  And this is just the tip of the "FUN" today.  It gets better.....

Lexi went to school early so she could try to set up a meeting with her school counselor sometime today.  She text Kevin to tell him that all the counsellors are at Junior High Schools today and won't be in at all.  Lexi has a deadline to meet of Wednesday this week to get what she needs done.  She is checking out online classes to help her catch up on a few things.  This has been something that has been weighing heavily on her mind lately.  So much that she has been trying to come up with a way to help herself.  Naturally I am thrilled that she has gone so far as to work out a way to resolve her own problem.  Go Lexi!  We will see if the online thing will actually work or not.  More to come on this.

Saturday afternoon Kyle received an email that he had been dropped from ALL of his classes.  He was enrolled in 5 classes.  A full load.  Talk about frustrating!  So he called the school today.  Apparently there was an issue with his financial aide and there is nothing that can be done to fix it.  All he can do is start again next semester.  Needless to say, Kyle is mad as a hornet today.  Which I completely understand.  I would be worried if he wasn't upset.  

Danielle text me to tell me she would not be over today.  That means the dog will be on edge tonight when I get home.  This we can deal with.  It's just par for the course today.

Curtis has been sitting around like a bump on a log refusing to do anything all weekend.  Which has really made me frustrated.  Honestly, I think this whole waiting game has him a little nervous now. I get it!  Believe me I do.  BUT, I still need his help.  This mission thing is starting to become real for him.  I can only imagine what will happen as we get closer to the day he finally leaves.  I predict that will be a little hairy.  Time will tell.

Kevin took a nasty fall Sunday night as he was stepping out of bed.  He fell hard and the boys came running to pick him up and get him back into bed.  Today he is in a lot of pain.  And I think the rainy weather plays a part in all of this too.  It adds to the aches and pains.  All in all, if you ask him, he would say he is doing okay.

Tonight we got a call from our Bishop telling Kevin about a death of a family friend.  Let me start at the beginning....

When Kevin's Mom and Dad were married to other people and had children in their first marriages.  His father had one child who died shortly after his birth and his name was Kurtis.  His mother had 2 boys, Kevin's older brothers.  After each previous marriage was dissolved they met at a local soda fountain shop here in Mesa.  They started dating and eventually got married and had one child between them....my husband, Kevin.  My MIL was a member of the church but very inactive.  My FIL was not a member.  It was through a devoted home teacher and awesome missionaries that my FIL joined the church.  Shortly after he was baptized it was Bishop McLaws that got the entire family to the temple to be sealed for time and all eternity.  The McLaws family can be considered family to all of the Schmidt's.  In fact, several years after my in-laws took their 3 small boys to the temple to be sealed, Bishop McLaws son became bishop of another ward in the Skyline Stake.  It was there that Andrew McLaws became our bishop.  He was an awesome bishop!  He got us involved in so many things.  We served in placed we never dreamed we would serve.  I remember Kevin visiting Seminary Teachers to beg to allow a student that had vandalized the teachers car to return to Seminary.  I remember Kevin being asked to step and and assist with many different things.  One was a service project Andrew took on for a family in the ward.  He totally gutted out the inside of this members house and replaced cabinets, flooring, and filled the house with furniture.  All of this on his own and he funded the project all on his own too.  Kevin installed all the tile at no cost.  This was a service project and that is just what you do.  Andrew McLaws even hired Kevin to work at his computer company.  Kevin work there for many many years and LOVED working there.  In fact, Andrew even hired Kyle to work there too.  The company was like a family for everyone who worked there.  

Tonight we found out the wife of Andrew McLaws passed away today.  Apparently, she had a heart attack in Relief Society Sunday and was admitted to the hospital.  Let me tell you about Christine... This woman was amazing!  She was a healthy lady!  I remember countless stories about all the marathons she ran.  In fact, I remember funny stories about how Andrew would follow behind in the car as she ran through the streets just to make sure she was safe.  He said people probably thought he was some kind of stalker or something.  She served hard, she played hard, and she loved hard too.  She could DIY with the best of them.  I remember countless stories about her various DIY projects.  She was amazing too!  She was my one of my daughter's young women's leaders at the ward level and the stake level too.  She adored the youth!  Our entire family was touched by Andrew and Christine in one way or another.  They were a big part of our lives for many years.  So, we are sad to hear this news and our thoughts and prayers are with Andrew and his 4 children as we all mourn the loss of this wonderful lady.  She has grandchildren who will miss her.  She has a son that just returned from his mission, a son currently serving a mission, and another getting ready to leave on his mission soon.  Christine will be missed.  

Well, as you can see, this has been quite a day.  That's about all I can say to sum it up.  We hope your day is going much better than ours.  Take care my friends.  And remember to take the time let the people in your life know just how much you love and appreciate them.  Life is precious and things can change in an instant!  We will talk again soon.

Quote of the Day:





No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...