Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1). My husband for all he does to help me and our children every single day. 

2) Good friends who also help and encourage me along the way.

From the Camera:

 
This is an old photo of Kevin and I right before he left on his mission.  In fact, this photo was taken just days before he left.  Oh the memories.  As Kevin says, he left with hair on his head and came home without any hair on his head.  That man makes me laugh.

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another great idea...

Did you know 23.8 billion pounds of used clothing is put into U.S. landfills each year?

Reduce waste and support the less fortunate in your community by donated your used clothing to a thrift store or a local homeless shelter.  And remember the age-old saying, "One person's trash is another person's treasure."

Benefits

  • Simple articles of clothing can make a person feel clean and taken care of. Donating clothing to a shelter will make a difference in someone's life.
  • Many thrift stores, like Goodwill, use the funds earned through the sale of used clothing to support the community.
  • By donating your old clothes, rather than throwing them away, you are helping keep our planet clean!

Step It Up

Adults can organize a clothing drive at your work and invite coworkers to bring their used clothing. Make it easy for others by offering to take the donations to a thrift store or shelter.

Kids can organize a clothing drive at their school. Send notes home with your classmates, asking them to bring in clothing they have outgrown. Then have a parent or teacher arrange for the clothing to be donated.

Keep It Simple

Go through your closet, and instead of throwing away items you don’t need anymore, donate them. Many organizations make it easy for you, by offering services to pick up used clothing from your house.

From the Kitchen:

For the past couple of months I have been doing something a little different with my meatloaf.  I had to try something different because my children didn't really care for meatloaf.  I think it was the stereotype that goes along with meatloaf because as soon as I changed up the shape of the meatloaf they absolutely love it now!  That's right, same recipe, just shaped a little bit different.  Here is what I have been doing....

Mind you my normal meatloaf is pretty basic and I never add anything crazy.  This is it in a nutshell...ground beef, the packaged meatloaf seasoning, an egg or two, bread crumbs or a piece of bread or two.  No onions, no green chili, no salsa, no cheese, or tomato sauce or ketcup. Just the basic stuff.  BUT, I always serve it with gravy, mash potatoes, and some kind of veggie.  My family hated it!

Now I have tried making meatloaf muffins.  (Basically cooking the meatloaf in a muffin pan)  That didn't work.  They all complained and hated it.  It wasn't until I formed my meatloaf into meatballs that my family started absolutely loving my meatloaf.  

Now I serve the meatballs over mashed potatoes, with brown gravy.  Then sometimes I make homemade rolls and always serve it with some kind of veggie or a toss salad.  

Lexi even eats the meatballs.  She just eats them without gravy.  Isn't that crazy???!!!   All I did was change the shape of my meatloaf and that made all the difference.  Who knew?  Here is a photo...


From the Spirit:

When Things Go Wrong

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will,
When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill,
When the funds are low and the debts are high,
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh,
When care is pressing you down a bit,
Rest, if you must—but don’t you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns,
As every one of us sometimes learns,
And many a fellow turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out.
Don’t give up, though the pace seems slow—
You might succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man.
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor’s cup.
And he learned too late, when the night slipped down,
How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out—
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt—
And you never can tell how close you are.
It may be near when it seems afar,
So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit—
It’s when things seem worst that you mustn’t quit.
 
Edgar A. Guest

From the Schmidt's:

Waking up on your own at 4:45 am, just out of the blue, is so strange.  Only to fall back asleep and wake up startled when the alarm went off at 5:45 am.  Odd.  Anyway, I hit snooze a couple of times and was up at 6:15 and in the shower.  Once I was out and somewhat dressed I announced to Lexi that she needed to get up and get ready for school.  My requests were met with a weak voice (Lexi's voice) telling me she was not well.  I told her to sleep until 7 since today was late start.  Later this morning I got a text and several phone calls from Kevin and Lexi telling me she wasn't going to school.  She missed school yesterday and now today.  I don't know what her deal is but this is not good.

Well, it doesn't look like we will have a mission call this week after all.  It's looking more like next week.  Darn.  

I have to say, I am so glad today is Wednesday.  I am so glad this is a short work week.  That always makes me happy.  

Not much more happening.  Just waiting for a few things to come about lately.  Good things, of course. 

Take care and we will talk more soon.

Quote of the Day:


 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...