Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Thursday Throwback

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1). Several weeks back it was suggested that I start seeing someone to help me through all of this "stuff" happening in our family.  You see I am the type of person that internalizes EVERYTHING and usually never let much out.  OR if it does come out it's usually not in the best way.  So I have been seeing someone to talk through all of this.  As well as help me cope with everything happening with my husband too.  Honestly, I think this person has come into my life with a figurative "life preserver" and I am very grateful she is in my life.  She is awesome!!!  I've only visited with her a few times now and already I see improvement in myself.  That's a good thing.  

2). My new little fitness app for my phone.  I honestly NEVER thought I would be one of those people to get into that sort of thing, but I am diggin' it.......Big time!!!  I love that I can keep track of everything and it will tell me how where I am at for my fitness goals as well as when I over do it.  (I did that last night and I don't recommend it, either.  Ha Ha!!!)

From the Camera:

Throw back Thursday.  A silly photo of Curtis.  I cannot believe we got his face to look like this in the photo!  Too funny!!!  

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea....

At some point or another, we've all heard our parents remind us of starving children in the world, to remind us of the importance of finishing the food that’s on our plates.

Well, when you waste food, you really could be affecting others in a negative way. Did you know that not eating what’s on your plate can actually harm the environment? Food that is put into landfills is a main source of greenhouse gases in the environment. Think twice before you leave food on your plate. By cleaning your plate, you’ll be keeping the air cleaner and fresher for yourself, others and the generations yet to come.

Benefits

Not wasting food will save your family money, as wasted food is wasted money. Between 8 and 16 percent of energy used in the U.S every year is from producing, distributing and preserving food. So the less you waste, the less energy will be consumed.

Step It Up

Only fill your plate with as much food as you can eat. Determine how much money you save by not wasting food, and donate it to provide food for a starving child somewhere in the world.

Keep It Simple

Be sure to at what's on your plate, and only serve yourself as much as you can eat. Save leftovers from dinner at home for lunch the next day or take a doggy bag when you go out to eat.

From the Kitchen:


Baked Ravioli
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme, or oregano
1 can (28 ounces) whole tomatoes
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
2 pounds store-bought ravioli
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and season with salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add thyme and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, breaking up tomatoes with spoon, until sauce is thickened and reduced to about 5 1/2 cups, 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, cook ravioli in a large pot of boiling salted water just until they float to the top (pasta will continue to cook in oven). Drain pasta; return to pot.
3. Toss sauce with pasta. Pour pasta into a large gratin dish or 9-by-13-inch baking dish, and sprinkle with cheeses. Bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
From the Spirit:

Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of—throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace.[George MacDonald, cited in C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity (New York: Macmillan, 1960), p. 160]

Elder Hugh B. Brown shared a story that illustrates that God knows best:

I was living up in Canada. I had purchased a farm. It was run-down. I went out one morning and saw a currant bush. It had grown up over six feet high. It was going all to wood. There were no blossoms and no currants. I was raised on a fruit farm in Salt Lake before we went to Canada, and I knew what ought to happen to that currant bush. So I got some pruning shears and went after it, and I cut it down, and pruned it, and clipped it back until there was nothing left but a little clump of stumps. It was just coming daylight, and I thought I saw on top of each of these little stumps what appeared to be a tear, and I thought the currant bush was crying. . . . I looked at it, and smiled, and said, “What are you crying about?” You know, I thought I heard that currant bush talk. And I thought I heard it say this: “How could you do this to me? . . . I thought you were the gardener here.” . . . I said, “Look, little currant bush, I am the gardener here, and I know what I want you to be. . . . And some day, little currant bush, when you are laden with fruit, you are going to say, ‘Thank you, Mr. Gardener, for loving me enough to cut me down, for caring enough about me to hurt me. Thank you, Mr. Gardener.” [Hugh B. Brown, “The Currant Bush,” New Era, January 1973, pp. 14–15; emphasis in original]

I pray, brothers and sisters, that when the adversities come—and, as I have mentioned, they will—we might respond to our Father in Heaven, saying, “I am not sure why I am having this adversity at this time or at this intensity. I know I will have something to learn. Help me to endure. Just help me to endure this trial that I have.” Then maybe, like the Savior, we will say: “Not my will, but thine” (Luke 22:42). I pray, brothers and sisters, that we might always be able to remember: It is “for thy good. . . . Art thou greater than he?”

I pray that the Lord’s blessings will be with us as we are proven, as we are tried, as we go into that crucible of adversity, that we will know there is always going to be the brighter day, and the brightest day will be the day when, if we stay true and faithful and we understand, we can enter into the presence of God the Father and Jesus Christ. How glorious it would be if we could have the Judge who will judge us all, Jesus Christ, stand at our side, being our advocate, our defender, our attorney with our Father in Heaven, and have Jesus Christ say to the Father, “Have mercy on him. He defended my name, he was valiant, he was one of my servants. Have mercy on him, let him live with us throughout the eternities.”

BY: Harold G. Hillam was a member of the Presidency of the Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this address given on 25 June 1996.

From the Schmidt's:

We have a three day weekend coming up!  Yippee!  I am so excited!  I've got lots to do.  As I mentioned before I wanted to redo the top of my coffee table I got for free last November.  Which will require a lot of sanding (manual labor) to get it ready to stain.  With the holidays I just haven't had the time to really make a dent on sanding it.  Plus little projects like this help me get my mind off of other things too.  So, I am hoping to get some of those things done this weekend.  I also have a door I need to add chalkboard paint to before that trend totally goes out of style.  Who knows, maybe I'm too late all ready.  I really don't care!  I like it.  It's staying.  Fun times. 

I also want to get the carpets cleaned.  Not sure that's gonna happen this month, but it's worth a shot, right??!!

Kevin has a doctor's appointment today, which is a good thing.  He pushed back his appointment because of a court appearance he had that was cancelled.  Thank goodness.  That was Tuesday.  The day it rained.  It would not have been a good thing for Kevin to travel all the way to Phoenix in the rain.  So, I am happy he didn't have to go.  Now we wait some more.  

Oh, I also want to do some shuffling around of the bedrooms and a few other things this weekend.  Kevin has been living in the spare room off the back of our home since his surgery in August.  If you recall my previous posts, this just made it easier for everyone to get to Kevin.  
Well now it's time for him to move into his real bedroom.  AND it's time to get things back to where they belong around the house too. That means get my treadmill and elliptical machine back into the spare room.  Laundry bins into the spare room.  Video games and craft stuff back into the spare room so my house doesn't look like something out of Sanford and Sons anymore.  (remember that show???).  I'm kidding, of course, but it feels like that. 

It's time to get back to work.  My lunch break is almost over, do you take care and we will talk again soon.

Quote of the Day:

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...