Wednesday, January 28, 2015

This could be it!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) Good friends that encourage me and help me all along the way!

2) My life.  These past few days have reminded me just how precious life is.  With the sudden passing of our friend on Monday, it has made me think about so many things.  Would I be ready at a moments notice to return to live with my Heavenly Father?  Would my affairs be in order?  Would my children be able to handle something like that?  What about my husband?  What about my sisters and brother?  OR my parents?  This has given me some things to think about and made me very much aware that I cannot procrastinate certain things any longer.  I need to act now.  The "what ifs" are piling up in my head.  For this awakening, or ah-ha moment, I am grateful for. 

From the Camera:

this one is for Kyle who has let me he was feeling a little slighted since I have not posted photos of him on my blog.  This is Kyle at the temple being silly.  
From the Heart:

In keeping with out theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea.....This one can be a hard one for me once in a while.  This one I need to work harder at.  

Practice speaking in a kind way. For one day, keep every negative thought, frustration or complaint to yourself and only share your positive comments with others. And every time you do have a negative thought, counter it out loud with a positive one. See the silver lining in the cloud in every situation.

Benefits:

The more you practice this, the better you will feel. You will have less negative thoughts in general and you will become a positive influence to all those around you. People will love being around you and will seek to spend more time with you.

Step It Up:

Don't stop at one day! Try this for a whole week. And then for another, until it is second nature. Share your new secret to positive thoughts with your friends and family and encourage them to try it out, too!

Keep It Simple:

Think of one situation or thing in your life right now that is causing you stress. Make a promise to yourself to stop thinking negatively about it, and to find the positive possibilities in the situation.

From the Kitchen:


Pina Colada Fruit Dip

1 small package Coconut Cream instant pudding mix
3/4 cup Cool Whip
1 cup milk
1 cup crushed pineapple, undrained

Blend the pudding mix, cool whip and milk with a hand mixer for 2 minutes.  Fold in the pineapple.  Refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve with fresh fruit. 

From the Spirit:

“Slow Dance”
By David L. Weatherford

Have you ever watched kids on a merry-go-round,
or listened to rain slapping the ground?

Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight,
or gazed at the sun fading into the night?

You better slow down, don't dance so fast,
time is short, the music won't last.

Do you run through each day on the fly,
when you ask "How are you?", do you hear the reply?

When the day is done, do you lie in your bed,
with the next hundred chores running through your head?

You better slow down, don't dance so fast,
time is short, the music won't last.

Ever told your child, we'll do it tomorrow,
and in your haste, not see his sorrow?

Ever lost touch, let a friendship die,
'cause you never had time to call and say hi?

You better slow down, don't dance so fast,
time is short, the music won't last.

When you run so fast to get somewhere,
you miss half the fun of getting there.

When you worry and hurry through your day,
it's like an unopened gift thrown away.

Life isn't a race, so take it slower,
hear the music before your song is over.


I came across this poem and loved it!  There is so much going on in this crazy world we all live in.  That thing called technology can enable so many great things, but it also wastes hours and hours of our time as we work on little things that really do not matter.  What really matters most to me is my family, and my relationship with my husband and our children.  What matters most to me is my relationship with my Heavenly Father, even though I feel that I fall short of doing my part in that relationship.  What matters most to me is the sacred obligation I have to fulfill the responsibilities the Lord has entrusted me with and live up to my potential as a daughter of a Heavenly Father who loves me.  But too often my actions do not reflect what matters most to me.  Life is a wonderful and amazing gift, not to be run through, but enjoyed.  Enjoying those great and eternal relationships is what matters most of all.

From the Schmidt's:
It's official!  Lexi is signed up for a full load of online classes and we have withdrawn her from Mesa High School.  She will be starting online school on Monday.  I felt much better about this decision after I talked to the admission's person today on the phone.  He gave us all the information and was very helpful.  He explained a lot in a very short amount of time.  My concerns were cleared up.  My husband's concerns were cleared up.  Don't get me wrong....we still have to help Lexi get through the rest of this school year and we still have concerns about that piece, but we are in a much better place today then we were at the beginning of the week when Lexi presented all of this to us.  Believe me, this week has been full of several discussions.  I still give it Lexi for coming up with a solution to her problem.  That means more to me that anything.  I love that she was concerned about her situation enough to seek for answers and solutions to her problem.  That is huge in my opinion!  That means she is paying attention to those prompting she is receiving.  That means she is seeking help from a Heavenly Father that loves her and cares about her and the choices she made that got her to this present state, as well as her future.  That speaks volumes to me about Lexi and I couldn't be more proud of her.  

GUESS WHAT!!!!  Danielle came over tonight and I ended up running a few errands with her.  As we were leaving our house I saw the sign on the gravel in the yard.  That's right folks....it looks like my crazy, scary neighbor is helping his Mom and her boyfriend move out!  Now hold on.....let me finish.  Mom and the New Husband have been fine.  They haven't bothered us at all!  BUT, the son!  That's a different story.  He is the one, if you recall, that freaked us all out.  He was the one that would come over and get in Danielle's face as soon as she would get out of her car.  He was the one that would hang out and just sit and peer over the back fence at us and the dog.  He was the one that was standing on our block mailbox one time when we came home from spending time with family on Thanksgiving Day a year ago.  He was trying to see over the fence and into the house.  He was the one that 5 police cars came to get one day about 6 months ago.  I still do not know what he did.  I would love to know, but I'm not going to ask.  I will just breath a sign of relief when he is gone. 

I'm sorry!  He just makes me feel uncomfortable.  Believe me, I know I shouldn't be like this.  BUT, at the same time, I take those feelings as warning signs to beware.  Enough about that.

Well, Curtis should get his mission call any day now.  It looks like he does not want to have a big crowd after all.  I told you he has been acting a little strange since last weekend.  I think it's all starting to sink in.  He told us tonight that he was going to just take his mission call to a quiet spot under a tree at the temple and open his mission call all alone as soon as it gets here.  I told him he better not!  I want him to at least wait until I get home.  I seriously doubt he will even be able to do that.  That crazy kid!  Who knows?  That could all change when he actually sees the envelope.  Time will tell.

Here is something funny a co-worker shared with me today.  I thought I would share with you too.......


Winston Churchill loved paraprosdokians - figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected.

1. Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

2. The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on my list.

3. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

4. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

5. War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

6. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

7. They begin the evening news with 'Good Evening,' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

8. To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

9. I thought I wanted a career. Turns out, I just wanted paychecks.

10. In filling out an application, where it says: "In case of emergency, notify..." I put "DOCTOR."

11. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

12. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street ... with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

13. Behind every successful man is his woman.
     Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.

14. A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory.

15. You do not need a parachute to skydive.
     You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

16. Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

17. There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.

18. I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

19. You're never too old to learn something stupid.

20. To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target. 

21. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

22. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

23. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. 

Finally:
24. I'm supposed to respect my elders, but now it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one. 

 This are pretty funny, aren't they?  I laughed at several myself.
To keep things a little on the light side....here are a few random questions to ask yourself or share with someone else.......
1. When did someone last suggest you 'chill out'? Or, when did you last tell someone (or want to tell someone) to 'chill out'? Or, when did you last tell yourself to 'chill out'? 

This is a term my sweet children use a lot and it hasn't been that long ago that they have said it to me about something, but, for the life of me, I cannot remember what it was about.  I have definitely learned to "chill out" a whole lot more in recent months and it's so freeing.  So many things are just not worth the effort of fretting over.  I'm trying hard to save all my fretting for the "big things" that come along and the rest of the time, I'm just a "chillin'."  ~chuckle~

2. What most recently caused your heart to melt? 

Oh, this is easy!  That was this Sunday night when Curtis came over to me and gave me a great big hug and held me tight for quite a while.  Or just this morning when I was taking Lexi to school and she told me she loved me as she was getting out of the car.  OR when Kyle asks me to go to the store with him after he has had a really tough day.  He never says why, but I know he just needs to have a little one-on-one time with Mom.  Kyle is the son that keeps his strongest feelings close and rarely shares them, but when he does....they are very deep.  OR when Danielle comes over and shares all of her recent happenings with me like we are old friends, then when she gets ready to leave she gives me a big hug and tells me she loves me.  Well, can I just tell you when one of my children do these things, totally unprompted, it definitely melts my heart.  ~teary eyed~

3.  "An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered. An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton  
 
Your thoughts? When did you last experience either an adventure or an inconvenience? How did you see it at first, as an adventure or an inconvenience?  Does it feel the same in hindsight?
 
Well, you may remember me mentioning concerns about how we would make it through these past few months before and after Kevin's last surgery.  I thought we would end up out on the streets and Curtis would NEVER go on a mission.  Oh, my, were we ever wrong!   With answered prayers and blessings received through the hands of MANY in our ward and stake....even people I may not even be aware of.  Silly me,  I saw this whole ordeal as a major inconvenience boy was I ever wrong.  Looking back I do think it was pretty adventurous and definitely made for a memorable experience.  ~feeling very grateful~

4.  A Wendy's Frosty, root beer in a frosty mug, or a frosted chocolate cupcake...of these three, which one is your favorite 'frosty' treat?
 
I hate to say this, but I am fond of ALL of the above!   Believe me, I am paying for all of them now as I strive to shed a few pounds....  But, if my arm was twisted I could eat a Wendy's Frosty.  Root Beer is good too.   It's the chocolate cupcake with just a little frosting that if I had to choose, could be left behind.  Now chocolate frosting on a YELLOW cupcake and I'd be all over that.  YUM!

5. Would you say your life so far this year has been more like a circus or a symphony? Explain why.
 
With just almost a month under my belt I would have to say that things have gone more like a symphony.   Last year was the circus.  We are definitely like the symphony this year much better!  Kevin is coming to the end of most of all of the doctor's appointments and surgeries, Curtis IS going on a mission, Lexi is working out her little issue all on her own better than her (dare I say it??) older brothers and sisters ever could have!!!, work is good too.   I mean, if that's not a symphony I don't know what is.  The Lord has been sooooooooo good to us and I am so undeserving!

6. Since it's a 'snow day' in parts of the country, what's your favorite song containing the word 'white'?
 
Oh, this is easy, "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas"  sung by Bing Crosby.  That is one song that makes me think of big white flakes of snow every time I hear it.

7. If you had to leave the city you currently live in, what would you find the hardest to leave behind?
 
Well, this has been home for almost 35 years and can I just tell you that some mighty precious friendships have been formed over that time.  We've birthed our babies together, reared our children together, buried our loved ones together and shared more good times than the law allows.  To say it would be hard to leave behind would be an understatement. ~it's home~

8.  Insert YOUR random thoughts here....

I think I got this backwards....my random thoughts are above.  We will have one busy weekend coming up.  Curtis has a mission call.  We have a visitation and a funeral to attend.  (That reminds me, I need to move an eye appointment for Curtis to another Saturday)  AND Kyle and Curtis will be going to an ASU Hockey game Saturday Night.  Kyle got tickets as a Christmas gift and he is taking his little brother.  I hope it's a good game.  I had no idea ASU even had a hockey team.  Kevin and I use to LOVE watching the Roadrunners play when they were in town.  They were like a baseball triple A team but for hockey.  Shoot!  They were better than our NHL team, the Coyotes.  I could really get into hockey again if we could just find a team that was as much fun to watch as the Roadrunners again.  Here is hoping ASU measures up to our expectations.  

GO ASU!!!

Well, it's I need to go.  Work is calling my name.  We are short staffed today and the phone is ringing off the hook.  Yikes!  I hope you have a wonderful day.  Take care my friends, enjoy, and we will talk again real soon.  That's a promise!  

Quote of the Day:

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...