Saturday, January 24, 2015

Meals for a Month, Prepared in Two.

Previously posted,........thought  I would share again.  Enjoy!

Meals for a Month, Prepared in Two Days
Lately I've been thinking about how we are going to deal with my husband being laid up after his surgery for several months.  

The Boy Scout Motto keeps running through my mind,  Be Prepared.....Be Prepared.....Be Prepared.  

I've been telling the kids that we are going to have to keep the house "Company" clean since dad will have to use a walker to get around after surgery.  I would hate to have Dad trip over shoes or something.  That would NOT be good!!!

My kids have not quite grasped what I am trying to tell them.  They are oblivious!!  (Can you sense my frustration??)  I think my kids are part Tasmanian Devil because everywhere they go a whirlwind of a mess seems to trail behind each on of them.  

I kid you not!!!  Some are more Tasmanian Devil that others.  We have a few weeks to get things in order and we are so far away from the goal I have set.  I am hoping it is because we seem to do our best work when we have a deadline or during what we call "crunch" time.
I know, I know......Sad, but so very true!!!

Now, my kids are older.  Old enough to know better.  

SO.......as I try to prepare our home for what is about to happen, a memory came to me, clearly out of the blue and I remembered something I use to do when my kids were much younger.  Off to my files I went.  (Can I tell you how happy I saved this!!)



What if I told you I had a way to prepare a months worth of meals (main dishes) in two days.  Would you be interested in this?  I have some recipes, the shopping list, the steps to prepare all the meals with little healthy hints too, as well as, the scriptural references as to why we need to eat in the way the Word of Wisdom counsels us to eat.  

I will admit my family does a lot of fast food.  Only because it is easier than cooking after working all day.  AND.......I also admit I do drink soda.  Now I have changed it a bit....I no longer drink the "leaded" soda (the stuff with all the sugar).  I have made the switch to the unleaded soda, (diet soda).  My husband has a theory, that anyone that switches to diet soda seems to also switch the music they listen to.  As if there is a connection between drinking sugary soda to diet soda?  He says everyone he knows that has switched to diet soda starts listening to country music too.  NOT THIS GIRL!!!  I will admit, I like all types of music.  So, if he gets in the car and the radio is dialed into  country station, it has nothing to do with the change to diet soda because this was happening before the change.
I am rambling.......let's get back to it.

SO, if you are interested, take a look below.  Now, I am not a web designer and I am no digital graphic artist so I apologize up front for any flaws you find with the pages below.  





Below are 27 basic recipes.  (We cook most of these meals without the onion, or very little, because my family does not like a lot of onion.  If we use onion, it is always very little and it is always cut up very small.) 
  






Below is a shopping list with all the basic ingredients needed to prepare the meals above based on the equivalent chart above. 



Don't forget to label all your meals before you put them in the freezer.  I always add the name of the dinner, the cooking time and temp, as well as the date the meal was prepared.  That way, I use the oldest meals first. 


To save space in the freezer, I like to stack my meals as flat as I can.  My first time trying this plan, we were living in an apartment and freezer space was tight.  We didn't have a separate freezer.  In fact, we don't have one now.  So, don't let that hold you back from doing this.  I am here to tell you, it can be done in one of those apartment size freezers. 

Here is a pic of what the meals will look like when they are stacked in the freezer. 
 (the pics below are just examples, not actual pics from my freezer, remember I am working on my recipes for the first time in years too.  I will post my own pics in a future post.)




Here is a pic of the Torpizzo Bread.  This is what it looks like out of the oven.


We also make an Italian version of this.  I take a package of Italian sausage brown it, drain fat (washing twice during the cooking time in hot water)  I then roll out Rhode's Bread Dough to a big triangle about 1/4 of an inch thick.  Add pizza sauce, Italian seasoning, add the crumbled Italian sausage, and skim mozzarella cheese.  Then I roll it up like you would if you were making cinnamon pinwheels, leaving the seam underneath the bundle.  Then I cook it in a 350-400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the middle dough comes out clean when poked with a knife or toothpick.  My kids love this.  This too can be put in the freezer.

Here is another tip....When rinsing your ground beef, I always transfer the meat from the frying pan to a colander like the one below.  Then I rinse the ground beef over the sink with hot water.  I also rinse out the fry pan as well.  Then once the meat is well rinsed all I have to do is dump it back into the fry pan to finish cooking. 


Hope you give this a try.  If the recipes shown on the pages above do not work for your family, you can always add your own favorites and remove mine.  If you decide to give this a try I would love to hear how this worked out for you. 
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...