Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Hump day!!!! Yeah!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1)  Another son worthy and willing to serve The Lord on a full-time mission.

2)  Facebook and the words of counsel and encouragement from our Church leaders.  I read this yesterday from Henry B Eyring, "A morning prayer and an early search in the scriptures to know what we should do for The Lord can set the course of a day."  Simple words that really touched me.  

From the Camera:

Since we are all speculating on where in the world Curtis will be going to serve his mission, I thought I would post a picture of a map of the world.  Just imagine.  Soon our sons life will drastically change as he begins this new adventure.  We as his parents are very proud of him!  Sure, we will worry if he is sent to serve a mission outside of the United States, but we want our son to go where The Lord would have him go.  It's as simple as that.  


From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea....

Have you ever been new at a school? Then maybe you know what it's like to be in a new environment, around new people. Being the new kid can often be stressful or even scary. Some kids have a hard time adjusting to new schools because they are shy or aren't very good at making new friends.

Other students will often tease or make fun of their new classmates, because they are intimidated by their differences. The best thing you can do to welcome a new classmate is try to be their friend. When you have a new classmate, be friendly and offer to give him or her a tour of your school.

Benefits

Being kind to new students and making them feel welcome will help them adjust to their new environment.

Step It Up

Be welcoming to your new classmate. Invite him or her to sit with you at your table at lunch and introduce them to your friends. Ask your new classmate about themselves and what their old school was like. Tell them a little bit about your school, so that he or she knows what to expect.

Keep It Simple

When you have a new classmate, welcome them to your school. Be kind to them by not judging them or making fun of them behind their back. Even a simple hello will help them feel welcome.

From the a Kitchen:

Chocolate Fudge Cookies


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the cake mix, eggs and oil until well blended. Fold in the chocolate chips. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls. Place the cookies 2 inches apart on the cookie sheet.
  3. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
From the Spirit:

Elder H. Burke Peterson stated:

In the day-to-day process of living, with all of its trials, challenges, and discouragements, we often underestimate our own God-given attributes and abilities which make it possible for each of us to pattern his or her life after that of the Savior and, in fact, do some of the things he did as he lived here among men. We may never personally experience the miracle of raising the dead, or be one to turn water into wine. We may not be one of thousands who may be fed from a few loaves and fishes, or be a part of the miraculous experience of walking on a stormy sea. But, for each one of us, there are a number of Christlike patterns of living we can be a part of in our mortal sojourn. [H. Burke Peterson, “Selflessness: A Pattern for Happiness,” Ensign, May 1985, 66]

So what is it to be a selfless person? As Elder Peterson described:

A selfless person is one who is more concerned about the happiness and well-being of another than about his or her own convenience or comfort, one who is willing to serve another when it is neither sought for nor appreciated, or one who is willing to serve even those whom he or she dislikes. A selfless person displays a willingness to sacrifice, a willingness to [put aside] personal wants, and needs, and feelings.[Peterson, “Selflessness,” 66]

From the Schmidt's:

Let's start with a few random questions....
1. What's your best piece of advice for a newly married couple? I'm asking for a friend. 
Pray, pray and pray some more for each other.  When we pray for our spouses it not only benefits them but us as well as HE works in both of our lives.  And, don't sweat the small aggravations, just accept them!  You'll be all the better for it!

2. Before we're too far into the new year I wanted to post a particular question, "What were you doing on December 31st, 1999?"and "Did you or your family make preparations for Y2K?" 

Oh, my goodness, talk about memories!  We really didn't do anything different.  Just before 2000 rolled in we talked about Y2K, but that was about it.
Yes,  we did make some preparations for Y2K.  Back then our food storage was somewhat stocked so we were feeling pretty much ready for whatever came our way.

3. According to Global Language Monitor, the most used word of 2014 isn't a word. It's the heart emoji. Huh? How can something that's not a word be the most used word, but I digress. What do you think was your most used word in 2014?
I have several words I can't seem to make myself not use.  I can't seem to help myself, I want to add them to most every sentence.  But, since blogging I have become very aware and am working hard to break that habit. I don't use them near as much in talking as I do in writing.  One of those words is "so"!

4. Speaking of words, it's that time again. Time for Lake Superior University to present a list of words they'd like to see banished (for over-use, mis-use, and general uselessness) in 2015. You can read more about the decision making process here, but this year's top vote getters are- 
bae (before anyone else), polar vortex, hack, skill set, swag, foodie, curate/curated, friend-raising, enhanced interrogation, cra-cra (as in crazy), takeaway, and -nation (a suffering sports suffix). 
Which of these words/phrases would you most like to see banished from everyday speech and why? Is there a word not on the list you'd like to add? 
The word that jumped out at me is cra-cra.  For goodness sakes, it is the absolute silliest word and the first time I heard someone use it, I immediately thought they were crazy for sure.  I have heard both adults and teenagers use it.

5.  January is National Hot Tea month? Are you a fan? Do you like flavored teas? How do you take your tea? Have a favorite cup or teapot? How many cups of tea do you consume in a given day? 
No, I am not a hot tea fan at all.  If I did, I think I would prefer the flavored teas.  I'm not a big tea fan period but if I'm going to drink it then it's going to be an herbal tea and usually I like it when I'm sick only.

6. Whatever happened to respect for mankind?  It is daily that we hear of people killing others with no regard it seems for life.  It appears that if you don't like someone, someone aggravates you, or the system doesn't operate the way you think it should, you get mad at your employer, or your spouse, then you just shoot them. Very troubling and sad. 

7. What is one book on your must-read list this winter? 
Sycamore Row by John Grisham.  I'm a big fan of Grisham and this book is likened to his very first book, A Time to Kill, which I enjoyed immensely.  So, I look forward to reading this in the coming weeks.

8. Insert your own random thought here. 

I have to say, our weather the past couple of days has been glorious!  I love the rain.  I love that's it's cool at night and the slight chill in the air.  I was talking to someone from Wisconsin today and she said their temperature was just above zero today.  Eek!  I don't think I could function with bone chilling weather.  That would not be fun!

We are taking your guesses on where you think Curtis might be sent to serve his mission.  We cannot wait for that big envelope to come in the mail!!!

I have a doctors appointment this afternoon after work.  Curtis has scouts.  AND Lexi has mutual.  Other than getting ready for the mission call reveal coming soon, that's about all we have going on today.  Not bad for a Wednesday. 
 
I hope your day is going well.  Take care and I will talk to you soon.

Quote of the Day:



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...