Saturday, January 24, 2015

Another Saturday!

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) The gift of the Holy Ghost!  I am so grateful I received that gift right after I was baptized at the age of eight.  What a blessing that gift has been in my own life.  BUT, I am also grateful all of my children have received this gift as well.  What a blessing in all of our lives.

2) Good work friends that make me laugh.  Yesterday it seemed there was a theme of the day.  Crazy names.  My friend and colleague started the morning off with the first name.  Then as he day progressed we all talked about other names.  One of the people I talked to on the phone even mentioned some of the crazy names parents are naming their children these days.  I mentioned the one name I thought was completely wrong, it's this.....# (hash tag)!!!  Can you imagine being named a symbol?  Who does that to a child?  I spend some of my day reviewing trust documents and divorce decrees.  Can you see those court documents with a name like that?  The person on the phone mentioned one other....la-a.  (pronounced: la dash a)  Can you believe that?  I am glad we had a good laugh over these silly names, but I feel for the children.  

From the Camera:


Danielle shared this lovely photo of herself on Facebook to show off her new sunglasses, but honestly, I think the photo is lovely!  She looks really good in this photo.  What do you think?

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another great idea.....

There are numerous National Parks and Forests, Wildlife Preserves, State and Regional Parks all over the world. People will often travel from foreign countries to visit some of the more famous parks: Banff National Park in Canada; Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Rocky Mountain National Parks in the US; Lake Victoria in Africa. Occasionally the trails in these parks need some repairs and maintenance: picking up loose trash, moving trees off the trail, restoring rock retaining walls, etc.
You can help today! Visit your local national park websites and see if they have a volunteer day. Many offer multiple days in a season, and even some overnight projects!

Benefits:

When you help restore a trail, you will be helping to keep the local trails clean for many to enjoy. You will feel a special connection to the specific trails and park you helped restore. Also, often the entrance fee to the park is waved for those who are helping rebuild trails.

Step It Up:

Get a group of your friends together to volunteer on the same day as you. Bring some extra snacks and water to share with the other workers. Be sure to thank the park rangers or official staff who helped lead and organize the volunteer experience. This may be a one-day event for you, but for the rangers and staff it is their job!
 

Keep It Simple:

You don't have to sign up to "officially" help with the trails; whenever you go hiking simply be aware of extra trash and pick it up! Or move large sticks and rocks off the trail that shouldn't be there. If the signs say to stay on the trail only, then stay on the trail, don't wander off it into the nature or wildlife preserves.

From the Kitchen:
Yummy Cinnamon Sugar Pecans

This is an ideal goodie for nut lovers.  You can use them as presents too.  It brings your close people a lot of joy!  Here is what you do.

Combine cinnamon with sugar and a little salt.  Throw it all into a Ziploc bag.  Whip egg white, vanilla, water until it is combined.  Put pecans into a large bowl and mix.  Make sure each pecan is coated in the egg mixture.  Then transfer the pecans with a slotted spoon into the Ziploc bag, shake to cover with the cinnamon mixture.  Then spread the pecans out onto a pan sprayed baking sheet.  Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour. Stirring the pecans from time to time.  Then cool to room temperature.  These pecans are a great gift at Christmas time or as a snack for guests.  Either way, these pecans will warm up any holiday atmosphere.  Enjoy!

From the Spirit:

I was reading the Visiting Teaching message for January (which can be found in the Ensign magazine, or on lds.org by doing a search for visiting teaching message January 2015) this morning which taught that the first attribute that Jesus Christ expressed about himself is that he is God's obedient Son.

I like this quote from Elder D. Todd Christofferson, "As we walk in obedience to the principles and commandments of the gospel of Jesus Christ, we enjoy a continual flow of blessings promised by God in His covenant with us.  Those blessings provide the resources we need to act rather than simply be acted upon as we go through life...Obedience gives us greater control over our lives, greater capacity to come and go, to work and create."

I know that obedience to God is a true principle that brings great rewards.  I was faced with a decision yesterday that really came down to whether I was going to be obedient to what I know to be true or ignore it.  Probably to most people it would seem like a small thing, but to me, who has a testimony of this principle, it was not a little thing, but an opportunity to be obedient to the Lord.  And when I made the decision, although it meant not doing something fun, I felt freer, than I did before.

For those who are looking at the year ahead and wondering, "How can I improve my circumstances?  How can I have greater control over myself?  How can I get more done in my work, in my home?  How can I increase my creative abilities? 

The answer has been provided again and again.  The answer is that, "Obedience gives us greater control over our lives, greater capacity to come and go, to work and create."

Apply this principle in every way that you can in the coming year and you will probably be amazed by doors that will open to you and by the great things you can accomplish as you are obedient to the Lord!
From the Schmidt's:

Curtis got up this morning and ran out the door bright and early to make it to his Boy Scout Day Camp.  He is the assistant 11 year old Scout Leader in our ward.  He has really enjoyed working with the boys, but more importantly, he has really enjoyed working with Bro. Reed in our ward.  Bro. Reed is a great Scout Leader and he loves the boys he serves.  Plus he has a lot of cool hobbies Curtis is interested in and that always excites my son.  There isn't a Wednesday night after Curtis has spent time serving in this calling that he has not come home with something exciting to share about what they did as a group or what Bro. Reed has shared.  He is loving this and that is a wonderful thing to see.  

As I sit her typing the mailman has dropped off our mail.  Do I rush out to see if a mission call has arrived?  If it has, do we text Curtis who is at the Day Camp and can't leave?  I've decided to leave the mail alone for a bit. Besides, I think our Bishop would have said something by now.  He has been really good about keeping Curtis up to date on where the paperwork is and all.  I love that he can track it through the process.  That is amazing!  

Today is going to be a day full of little projects.  I have a few things I need to get done....or should I say, WANT to get done.  Just a couple of things around the house I have put off until after Christmas.  It's time.  

This weekend we have Stake Conference and I'm not sure Kevin is up for going.  I don't think he can sit for 2 hours and I don't think he could handle the crowd.  We will see.  He had a pretty rough night last night.  He just couldn't get settled and he tossed and turned all night.  Hopefully tonight will be better.  He had his first appointment last week.  He is one appointment down towards having the nerve stimulator placed.  I would shout "yippee", but I really don't like seeing my husband go through all of this.  

You see, our insurance requires that Kevin sit down with a pshycologist to determine if he is depressed before they move forward to place the nerve stimulator.  Now come on!  Of course Kevin is a little bummed out about where he is right now.  But does he mean to harm himself, no!  That is what they are trying to determine first. Besides, who wouldn't be bummed about how this thing has turned out?  Kevin had his dream job and absolutely loved it!  So, going from that to where he is now, of course he is down.  I don't blame him!  At the appointment last week, Kevin said the doctor asked him what he is expecting to see happen with this nerve thing?  Kevin said well, he just hopes for a little pain relief.  The doctor said, so 50% would be okay.  Kevin said that would be great, but I am not expecting that.  Shoot!  50% would be awesome!  If Kevin received 50% pain relief that would be a miracle!!!   We still have a few more appointments to go before we will get to the trial period, and then the permanent placement of the stimulator.  Time will tell.  We are crossing our fingers and praying every day that this thing will do what we need it to do.  Work!! 

Danielle will be coming by later.  I think she is tutoring that little girl again with her math today.  Remember I mentioned the girl who needed to get up to at least a 5th grade math level.  Danielle works with her for two hours each session.  That is a long time!  I feel for that child.  Anyway, I am excited to see her.  

Lexi missed 3 out of the 4 days of school last week, so she will not be going anywhere this weekend.  She was sick.  Kyle has a date tonight.  Curtis most likely will come home and be worn out.  So, I think we will be having a quiet evening.  There is an Adult session of Stake Conference, but again, I don't think Kevin is up for it.  This is the stuff I want to see change.  I want my husband to be able to stay at church through all of the meetings.  That is what I want to see this nerve stimulator do for him.  I want him to be able to get up out of bed and spend time with the family.  Play a board game with us.  Go to the grocery store with me.  Nothing too crazy, just be able to improve his quality of life just a little bit.  I miss having him around and with the rest of us.  I miss my husband.  

I have to change the subject now, because I will start to cry, and I can't do that right now.  I don't want him seeing me cry.  That will not help him.  He feels bad enough.  So on to something else....

I have been using that fitness app on my phone now for a while and it has really helped me keep track and change a few things in my life.  So much that I have lost a few pounds too!  Yes!  I haven't done anything too drastic yet.  All I have done is eat fewer calories, stopped drinking regular soda, and drink at least 64 ounces of water per day.  That is it!  And I am down almost 20 pounds!  Woot!  Woot!   Love that!  So, I will keep up with this.  I should be adding a little exercise to the mix, but other than walking that is about all the exercise I get these days.  I'm sure that will come.  One of my goals was to get more walking into my daily routine, but I have yet to get that added.  What can I say?  When I come home from work, after cooking dinner, and getting everything else squared away, I'm tired!  I always have all these great intentions early in the day as I am sitting at my desk at work.  Then by the time I drive through all that traffic and get things done, I am toast.  Maybe I should add a walk in at work.  I could do that.  Something small maybe during my lunch break.  We will see.  There are trails all around the building I work at.  OR I could walk the path mapped out inside the building too.  I love that my work has adopted a healthier environment.  It's awesome!

Well, as you can see, we don't have super big plans this weekend.  Just a few things to do.  Sometimes days like this work out to be the best.  Time will tell.  I hope your day is wonderful.  Take care and we will talk soon.

Quote of the Day:


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...