Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Another Day in Paradise

Two Things I am Grateful For:

1) My boys that are good about helping their parents when we really need their help.

2) My Mom and Dad.  I am so grateful for the parents I have.  They mean the world to me and I am very grateful for their example in my life.  

From the Camera:

Curtis (the blondie with the glasses) surrounded by the other Priests.  He loves his buddies in this ward!  

From the Heart:

In keeping with our theme, acts of kindness, here is another idea......
The surrounding atmosphere can be a very important factor in building a strong and successful community.
Flower gardens can do wonders for our communities. Everyone delights in seeing or smelling beautiful flowers. But maintaining a flower bed or garden can be a ton of work, especially for someone who works full time, or an elderly person who may not have the energy he or she once had. You can help keep your community beautiful by helping weed flower gardens.

Benefits

If you’re someone who doesn’t spend a lot of time outside, weeding a garden is perfect occasion to soak up some vitamin D and have fun! If you don’t know much about plants or flowers, this might be your chance to learn about them and their characteristics. Maybe you can grow your own one day!

Step It Up

Organize a group volunteer trip to weed a flower bed or garden at your local park or community center. Invite your friends, classmates or even turn it into a fun family weekend. Get your hands dirty, and have fun!

Keep It Simple

Ask a parent or neighbor if you can help them weed or plant a flower bed. Enjoy the nature around you while you lend a hand.

From the Kitchen:

Ground Beef and Refried Bean Burritos


1-2 pounds of Ground Beef
1 16 ounce can of Refried Beans
1-2 packages of McCormick's Taco Seasoning

Cheese, Lettuce, Sour Cream, Olives, Onion, Tomato, Salsa

Brown the ground beef and drain it.  Add the taco seasoning to the ground beef mixture and mix until all power is absorbed.  Add in entire can of refried beans to the ground beef mixture.  Allow to simmer until all is warm.  Add the mixture with any garnish you want, roll and enjoy!

From the Spirit:

Priesthood Power

A hurricane gains impact, comes on with mighty force,
Wreaking mass destruction, along its chosen course.
The waters of a mighty flood will make men run in fear,
As does the black tornado, when its funneled wrath appears.

Earthquakes cause much damage, arising from its berth,
And man claims nuclear weapons can eradicate the earth.
But of all the mighty powers, there's one that stands alone
For its power stems from righteousness and claims a mighty throne.

The Priesthood of God long missing, from churches of our time
Is now restored and shall prevail, in every tongue and clime.
The Priesthood sets our church apart from every other church
And through its restoration, has ended many a search.

All the keys to God's kingdom, through the Priesthood now restored
And it is through this Priesthood power, men work and serve the Lord.
The Priesthood is a privilege, not just a right of men
Which must be earned and then upheld, through covenants entered in.

It's through the laying-on-of-hands that the Priesthood is conferred
By those who have authority, to preach and teach His word.
Not by man, but through God it came, and Peter, James, and John,
Returned to earth, to confer the keys, so Christ's gospel might roll on.

Mighty or simple the miracles, the Priesthood power brings,
It can raise the dead or bless a child; still they're both inspiring,
And both bring the powers of heaven, down on the heads of men,
As it baptizes, administers, holy ordinances enters in.

But because men hold the Priesthood, are women inferior beings"
Subject to every wish of man, as though he were her king?
No, the role of woman is different; she's co-creator with God,
Bears a child then nurtures, teaches children the path to trod.

-Carolyn Perry Fife.

I love the first few lines of this poem that talk about all the amazing forces of nature out there that can cause so much pain and suffering, but then holds that in contrast to the awesome power of the Priesthood.  A power that is predicated on the righteousness of the person that holds it.

My favorite lines "The Priesthood is a privilege, not just a right of men / Which must be earned and then upheld, through covenants entered in."  Growing up in the church watching the traditional path of Priesthood ordinations, too often holding the Priesthood became a mere cultural step to manhood, and not the privilege that it should have been.

Today I am grateful for a husband and father of our children, that strives to live up to the covenants and really thought about and taught our children what it means to be a Priesthood leader in our home (not a ruler as the final lines imply).  Although I have not received a full understanding, I am grateful for the Priesthood in my life, especially as I watch my husband and my boys reach out and bless my life and our other children.  I am also grateful for wonderful Priesthood leaders as I grew up that taught me how to honor and respect the Priesthood.  

From the Schmidt's:

It's official!  We will have a mission call by the end of this week!!!!  Yeah!!!  
We are SOOO ex-CIT-ed!!!  
I think Curtis will need to stay busy in order to get through the rest of the week.
YES!

Looks like we might be going to a funeral this weekend.  From what we have heard our friend was getting ready for another marathon and her potassium level dropped drastically, causing her heart attack.  Our friend tells us she was answering a question in Relief Society and went to go sit down and that is when she dropped and had the heart attack.  She slipped into a coma and never came back out of it.  So sad!  Her husband is being to "rock" for everyone else right now.  But, I am sure eventually our dear friend Andrew will need someone to be his rock after the funeral is over.  My heart breaks for this family.  They have been through a lot as a family, but you would never know it.  They were ALWAYS doing wonderful things for other people.  I remember one time this couple's daughter wanting to spend her own money to help another family in our ward get their car washed and detailed.  They never had a huge Christmas for themselves because they were spending time and money making Christmas special for other people.  These are just a few examples of how amazing this entire family is!  I mentioned before that Andrew was a great Bishop.  So, you know his wife had to be even more amazing to allow her husband to serve the way that he did.  I remember sitting in countless ward counsel meetings with this Bishop, or Personal Priesthood Interviews with him as we tried to come up with ways to help certain individuals in our ward.  He would always say, "you just have to love them"  OR when searching for someone to fill a calling his advice was this, "Who needs the blessings that come from serving in this calling?"  I love their example.  I love that this family has been a part of our lives and influenced us all for good.  There isn't a memory of being in that ward that does not include memories of this family.  I remember teaching their son in Primary, I remember going to Girl's Camp with their daughter, I remember listening to their boys answer questions I would ask during Sharing Time in Primary.  I remember Cub Scouts with their boys.  This mother and father taught their children to love the Lord.  I know this because of the things that their children knew about the gospel.  This was mostly because of the influence of their wonderful mother.  I was reading all the tributes to this wonderful lady on Facebook today and WOW!  She has touched the lives of so many people.  She will be missed.  But most of all, she will be remembered for being real, not perfect, but not pretending to be perfect, (I remember Kevin telling me about the time she said a bad word in front of him.  Oh my!) for working hard, loving even harder, and for wanting nothing more than to be known for cleaving to the gospel and the covenants she made throughout her life.  What a wonderful example for all of us.

I still cannot believe the news.  I am in total disbelief.  

Kevin had another appointment yesterday with one of the doctor's preparing him for the nerve stimulator.  He offered to continue to see Kevin after the unit is placed, especially if the thing doesn't work.  No one knows if this thing will even work yet.  It's all kind of up in the air right now. We are praying it does work.  Any relief this unit can offer would be good.  Time will tell.  More in this as we get closer and closer to the moment they place the unit.

We are busy getting Lexi signed up for online classes today.  She needs to be signed up today or else she has to wait another two weeks to sign up.  We still haven't had the chance to talk to a school counselor.  Believe me, this is not an ideal solution to the issue.  BUT, this will help Lexi in the long run.  She will just have to stay on track and keep up with everything.  If she doesn't.  Oh, I don't even want to think about what happens if she doesn't do this.  Frankly, Kevin and I are having mixed emotions about this whole thing.  We see the benefits, but we also see all the downfalls too.  So, we are going to lay down some ground rules with Lexi.  We have to.  That is the only way this will work.
Some days I wish I could see the future.  This is one of them!  Just for this situation. 

I have another appointment at the end of this week.  It's scheduled for the same day Curtis should receive his mission call.  I don't know if I will be able to make it to my appointment.  OR we may need to cut it short.  We will see.  I don't want to reschedule it either.  Decisions, decisions.  I want to be at the house when people arrive for the call.  Not to mention, make sure everything is in good order at the house too.  As it is, I won't be home until after 7 p.m.  I don't know what to do.   Kevin said we could just invite everyone to meet us at the Temple.  We could meet at some point on the grounds of the Temple and hear the mission call.  Somehow that doesn't seem right to me.  It needs to be here at our home.  So much happening this week!  

Well, that is about all I have for your today.  I sincerely hope you are having a perfectly wonderful day.  I know you deserve the absolute best!  


Quote of the Day:

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...