Saturday, November 22, 2014

Thankgiving 20

1) Do you cook all or part of the meal? We cook every bit of the meal! I grew up in a home where everything was cooked from scratch and that is the way we like it in my home. Nothing quite tastes as good as homemade, I think, and Thanksgiving is NOT a meal we ever cut corners on.  EVER!

2) How much do you spend buying groceries for the meal? I would say the entire meal probably costs about $200. I find it's easier on the budget if you pick things up a little here and a little there. Plus then I can plan my grocery list around the sales if I start early. This year we are ready for Thanksgiving earlier than usual.  I still need a little ice, but that is about it.  As I said before, I usually make the meal here at the house even if we go somewhere else....  I usually like to pick up one or two turkeys to have in the freezer.  Things have just been a little crazy at our home this year and Thanksgiving is coming up quicker that I am ready for.  This year we are doing a "low-key" dinner.  Just the immediate family.  We aren't going to extended families home at all.  Kevin is having a rough time health wise, and Danielle has a boyfriend she will be bringing home for us to meet for the first time.  I don't want that to be difficult for them.  AND this could be the last Thanksgiving we have with Curtis for the next two years.  We want to make that a little special for him.  If we go over to extended families home, we always feel like the red-headed step children.  I don't think that the extended family intends for us to feel this way.  It just happens.  Plus, then the holiday becomes all about them, and we are not even a thought in their minds.  Just butts in seats. It's sad but true. Not exactly the last memory I want my son to have before he leaves on his mission for two years.

3) Do you eat at home or go to someone else’s? It seems like each year is a little different. When Kevin and I first got married we never had Thanksgiving in our home. We would switch off each year. One year we went to his parents then the next we would go to my parents. As the years have gone by, that has changed. Now we pretty much leave the decision making up to my sister-in-law. She tells us if we are having the dinner at my home or hers and we go from there. Not always my favorite way to do things, but this is how she operates.  Besides, Kim is the planner in the family.  She is the list maker!!!  Holy cow!  No joke, she leaves lists on her refrigerator of things her husband needs to get done around the house. (my husband would kill me if I ever tried that)  I think she could plan just about anything. If I had my preference, we would have dinner at my home. Only because having Thanksgiving in our home is new for me. Kevin and I have been married for 27 years now and I have always felt that we really never had the chance to voice our opinion, or start any of our own traditions around the holidays because we were always too busy keeping up with what his family expected us to do.  I regret that, and now that our own children are getting older, I look forward to having them over for dinner if they want to come over....and if they can't make it, we understand that too.

4) White meat or dark?  WHITE all the way!  We really are not dark meat people.

5)  Stuffing with giblets or without?  I prefer it without. My Mom has always made hers with, but I don't.  I can barely remove the package from the bird before we cook it without losing it.  I make Kevin or one of the boys pull that and the tongue out for me. I just cannot handle it.  So giblets are out!!  

6)Anything you won’t eat at the Thanksgiving meal?  Probably peas and onion pearls.  I have never liked peas and probably never will eat those.  AND sweet potatoes or candied yams.  Just not my kind of thing.  My family doesn't like them either.

7)Carve Mr. Gobble at the table or serve on a platter?  I love the idea of carving the bird at the table, but realistically, we usually carve it before the meal and present the platter.  It's just easier that way.

8) Favorite pie?  I love Pumpkin Pie with Whipped Cream this time of year.  But we usually have all the others in the home too.  Apple, Chocolate, Lemon Meringue,  Banana Cream, Pecan, Cherry.  

9) Formal table or Chinet?  I love a formal table.  Even though I don't have a lot of china, I just think Thanksgiving deserves all the special dishes, and I love everyone sitting at the same table, if you can.  Only because I think it becomes more personal for everyone involved.  That way everyone that comes feels a part of the group and hopefully no one feels left out.  I know after a while our family will grow and it may be too hard to be at one table.  BUT, my goal is to try.  I don't like everyone in different rooms.  Then people get left out of conversations and things. Hence the reason we always feel like red-headed step children.  

10) Your menu:
Turkey
Homemade Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Homemade Rolls with Butter
Sausage Stuffing
Green Bean Casserole or Sauteed Green Beans, Peppers, Bacon and Almonds
Corn
Cranberry Sauce
Some kind of fruit salad usually of the jello type
Cranberry Nut Bread
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Lemon Meringue Pie
Chocolate Pie
Banana Cream Pie
Iced Christmas cookies
A complete veggie tray with dip  (celery,carrots, radishes, green peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, and anything else we come up with)
An olive (green and black)/pickle (dill, sweet, and spicy) tray
I think a fruit tray would be a good idea too.
deviled eggs
Crackers and Cheese
Ham once in a while for those that do not like turkey
Baked macaroni and cheese
AND whatever else we feel like trying out.

11) Favorite leftover?  I love leftover turkey.  We always try to make the entire meal here at our home no matter if we actually eat at the house or leave and go somewhere else.  Just because there is nothing like Thanksgiving leftovers.  Turkey sandwiches are great for lunches!  

12)  Extended family, friends, both or just the immediate family for dinner?  I say invite everyone!  The more the merrier!  When you can. 

13) After dinner, do you go to the latest movie or watch football on TV or just a turkey induced snooze?   Football is a BIG part of our Thanksgiving Day.  The boys always go out early that morning to play in the annual Turkey Bowl with all the men and young men from our ward.  Then later in the day, there is usually a game on and if there isn't a game they want to watch, we try and watch a video.  I would LOVE to go to the movies, but I am usually worn out by the end of the day. 

14) Do you watch the Macy’s Parade?  The girls and I always watch the parade.  My mother and I use to do this when I was little and now my girls like to watch it too.

15) Christmas decorations up before or after?  Christmas decorations come up after Thanksgiving.  I don't like to rush through Thanksgiving ever!  I think we need to take the time to celebrate everything about Thanksgiving only because we need to remember the reason for this holiday and what the pioneers did for us and give thanks for all the blessings we have because of the sacrifices of those before us.  Besides, it's a NATIONAL Holiday.  A day we give thanks and think about how our country, the USA came to be a free country!  We are a very blessed nation and we need to never forget that and remember to show our gratitude.

16) Black Friday shopping or sleep in?  I have always worked outside of the home and have only experienced Black Friday shopping once when my friend Julie took me with her.  She was looking for things for her kids.  She found what she needed, but frankly, I prefer NOT to go out on Black Friday.  I would rather sleep in the Friday after Thanksgiving and spend time with my family. This time I will be working.  Not a big deal.  That day is usually super slow anyway.  We have a full house this time because no one has taken it off.  This should be interesting.  8 people to take maybe 50 calls the entire day.  I plan to bring something to do.  Reading or something.  

17) Any special Thanksgiving tradition?  Our only tradition has always been to eat dinner around 2:30pm and spend the rest of the day with our family, but usually when we have the extended family over or go to their house, dinner is always at 4pm.  Since I work the next day, I prefer to get it out of the way earlier, but it's really isn't that big of deal.  

18) Favorite thing about Thanksgiving?  I love how everyone has an attitude of gratitude.  Everyone seems a little nicer or a little less negative this time of year.  It's awesome.  (I know my post is a little on the negative side.  I can't help it.  I have kept quiet for too long, and it has affected me.  I can't let that happen anymore.  Remember, I will implode if I don't start talking and getting it off my chest, so-to-speak.)

19) Favorite Thanksgiving memory?  My favorite Thanksgiving memory has always been spending the day with my parents and grandparents.  I miss doing that.

20) Describe your perfect bite!  I love one of my first bites to be of mashed potatoes and gravy.  Not too much gravy...just a little.  The second bite, turkey, of course!


Share your best Thanksgiving recipe today so that everyone can buy the ingredients and try it at their feast too!

  I want to try this recipe.  


Pumpkin Roll
Total Time:  Prep: 30 minutes, Bake: 15 minutes + freezing
Makes: 10 servings.

Ingredients:
3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar, divided
2/3 cup of canned pumpkin
3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
Filling:
1 package (8 ounces) of cream cheese
2 Tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup confectioners sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Additional confectioners sugar, optional

Directions:
  1. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and pumpkin, beating on high until sugar is almost dissolved.
  2. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gently fold into pumpkin mixture. Spread into prepared pan.
  3. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
  4. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and freeze until firm. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before cutting. Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...