Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Hello Monday!

Today is our youngest son's birthday.  He is a wonderful young man.  He works hard and plays hard too.  He keeps us all laughing all the time and he is a delight to be around.  He is simply amazing!  Never expecting anything, but grateful for all that he gets.  We love him!  Happy Birthday, Curtis!!!



1.  What's something you wanted to do this summer that you never got around to actually doing?  
A big family vacation would have been lovely.  Especially since we have son getting ready to leave on a mission and our oldest daughter moved out to live on campus this school year.  It would have been nice to have one last family trip before all the changes.  Oh well.  What really matters is that we are a family and we are still together, even though we do not live under the same roof.  

2.  Share a favorite memory of your own back-to-school days as a child.
I use to like getting new clothes and school supplies each school year.  That was always fun.  I know it wasn't always easy for my parents financially, but somehow there were always some new things.  I know my parents sacrificed a lot to provide for us and I really do appreciate that.

3.  What's one chore or daily task you prefer doing "old-school"?  
I would prefer to pull up to the gas station and have this sweet friendly guy come out and pump my gas and clean my windshield.  I mean, those were the days and I didn't get to enjoy them near enough.  I think they called those "full service stations."  Ah, that there were full service stations everywhere today.  Call it old school or not, it was wonderful!  

4.  Share something you've learned in life through the "school of hard knocks".
Following directions or instructions.  I can't stand to read the directions when it comes to putting something together or learning how to use something.  But, I've had to undo enough stuff, or have my husband or children come in behind me and undo the mess I made enough times I've learned it's really best to just take the time to read and do it right the first time.

5.  As a child, did you mostly bring or buy your lunch for school?  What was your favorite thing to find in your lunchbox?  
I think it was about half and half.  They use to print the menu for school a month or two at a time so we could plan ahead.  I remember going to pre-school at St. Mary's in Texas.  (this was before my parents joined the Mormon Church)  I use to hate lunch time.  The lunch ladies wouldn't let you leave until you ate everything on your plate.  I was a picky eater, so that was rough.  I think there were all kinds of things I use to enjoy finding in my lunchbox.  My mom took good care of me.  She knew how to pack a lunch!  When it was cold outside she would fill my Thermos full of ranch style beans.  She also made great sandwiches too.  So, any time I took my lunch it was a good day.  

6.  Football season is upon us which has me wondering....how big of a sports fan are you (not just football)?  On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being "I scream at the players through my television screen" and 1 being "is knitting a sport?"  where do you fall in fandom?
I would have to say I fall between a 3 and a 4.  I am definitely NOT a die hard fan and don't really even understand football.  BUT, there have been a few times when a game was tight that I actually hollered and got excited!  I like to show my support.  Just don't ask me what is going on!  Ha Ha!!! 

7.  Share a favorite quote you think might inspire students of all ages at the start of a new school year.  
You can learn something new everyday, if you pay attention.

8.  Your random thought here:  
  • Kevin DIDN'T get to his physical therapy appointment today.  He has a hard enough time under normal conditions.  I just couldn't risk it with the rain.  I couldn't get him out in it.  You see, I have to drop him off at a curb at the doctor's office, and he waits there standing alone until I park the car and run back to him.  (thankfully he doesn't fall)  In the rain, especially the rain today....who knows what could have happened.  We may need to get a temporary handicapped card to hang from the rear view mirror until he can get around without the walker.  He doesn't want it, but for days like today, we may need it.  So, long story short, we had to reschedule.  ARG!
  • Now the car is having trouble starting.  I'm not sure if its an electrical issue or the starter or alternator.  Fun, fun!  It's time to take it in for it's oil change and we will just have it checked out.  But, that's money I surely do not have to get it fixed.  ARG!
  • Some people's kids!  WOW!  I would have NEVER dreamed certain kids would act like that!  I am SHOCKED and  AMAZED!  And I use to think a lot of these kids!  I never dreamed they would treat another person like that.  Not caring how much they were putting another person out like that.  Makes me wonder what their real motive was.  Sad!  Oh well.  I still love the family!  They are an awesome family.  Just still in shock!  
  • We have hit an all time record for the state of Arizona!  Mesa got 4.5 inches of rain today!  Everything is flooded.  Schools were closed or gave kids the option to stay home.  We tried to get Curtis to work today.  They turned him away.  He was thrilled.  He called it a birthday present from Heavenly Father.   Then when we tried to get Lexi to school, we couldn't get anywhere near the school, so I had Curtis turn around and bring her home.  My work called and said if you can get to work safely, come in.  Otherwise, if you cannot, stay home.  They declared the entire state of  Arizona a state of emergency.  We don't do rain folks.   The freeways were flooded everywhere.  Some worse than others, of course.  Here is a photo of one area freeway..

There were other photos but this was the big story of the day.  Police told people it was safe to drive through this.  Apparently NOT!  






 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...