Saturday, August 30, 2014

A day in the life of....

Oh....my.....gosh!  So, this afternoon I ran a quick errand and went to Sam's Club for laundry soap.  Kyle was home this afternoon and was able to be here with Kevin.  While Curtis and I were at Sam's he picked up a bag of those Baby Bell Cheeses that are individually wrapped in these round wax packages.  Curtis wanted me to get them for him.  I nearly cringed when he picked those up.  Then when we got in the car, he couldn't wait to eat a couple.  I told him, he could eat them so long as he didn't save the wax coating and start making a wax ball out of them.  He looked at me a little strange.  I told Curtis that I use to work with this guy that would walk over to the Safeway near our old building to buy the Baby Bell cheeses.  He would bring them back to the office and eat them at his desk and made this huge ball with the wax coating.  When he finally got fired and they started going through his desk, his wax ball was left behind.  It was so gross!  This guy was weird.  When I started at this office 2005 I first heard this guys name from someone on my team at the time.  She had dated him and she was trying to avoid him.  Then I moved to a different area and low and behold...there he was, on my team.  While he was on the team he did weird things.   Like hiding food in co-worker's desks so it would go bad and stink to high heaven.  He was odd.  There are several other things this guy did, but I will leave it at that.  Hopefully you understand why I freaked out when I saw my son pick up the bag of cheese at the store.  It brought back all kinds of memories.  And not exactly the warm fuzzy kind either.  EEK!  

I got a text from a future bride I met with some time back.  She had planned to have a woodsy wedding reception in the backyard of her Grandmother's house.  In fact, her father had trees trimmed, got the lawn in great shape, and even installed above ground sprinklers, so they could be ready for this upcoming wedding.  The ideas this bride had were going to be pretty awesome.  In fact, I thought the spot they picked for the reception was absolutely perfect for her theme.  For some reason they decided to change venues and go with the Wright House, which isn't exactly what the bride had in mind, but will reduce the stress the mother was under, and I can totally understand that!  When they switched venues I thought they would go with flowers through the Wright House too.  Well, apparently not!  Like I mentioned before I got a text yesterday asking me to still do all of her flowers.  This means I will have the brides bouquet, a throw bouquet, 5 bridesmaids, the groom, 5 groomsmen, and corsages and boutonnieres for the fathers and grandfathers.  That will be fun and I'm looking forward to this.   This was the style the bride wanted for her bouquet.  She wanted pale pink peonies only in her bouquet, and the stems mostly showing.  This is a photo of what that might look like....

Honestly, I could put this bouquet together in my sleep.  Talk about simple!!!  The brides colors are pale pink, cranberry, navy, a lot of white and touches of gold.  And again, she just wanted the pink in her bouquet.  At least this was what she wanted the last time I talked to her.  Flower choices and colors may have changed too.  We will see.  Hopefully we will get together soon.  We are running out time if they want fresh.  We need to place our order very soon.  If they want silk, we need to get shopping now too.  I need time to put these things together.  Especially between work, Kevin and everything else.  

1.  As August draws to a close, share what's been your favorite weekend of the entire summer? 

This has been a tough summer for us. I think my favorite times were getting my youngest daughter ready for girls camp and then picking her up and hearing how much fun she had.  She loved being a 4th year this year and camping.  She is not one of those girly girls that does not like to get out and do things.  This girls wants to do it all.  In fact, she was bummed when she thought she wouldn't get to go fishing because of her arm injury, but as it turns out, no one fished.  
The other great parts about this summer was watching our second son graduate, get a job, and be ordained to the office of Elder.  He has loved every step of the way on the road to preparing for his mission.  It has been a lot of fun to watch him as he comes home each Sunday with a big grin on his face after he has spent the day with 3 hours of regular church meetings, Doing Home Bound, Presidency Meetings, and Mission Prep.  Not to mention any Firesides that come along.  He loves it, and I love seeing him so excited about all of it.  That is awesome!  Our older son is was just as excited about all of this, and he is excited about church too.  He is just a little more reserved about it, is all.  

 2. Labor Day is marked in the US of A on Monday, September 1st.  What paying job have you held that you've loved the most?  Liked the least? 

Let's start with the job I liked the least.  I think the job I liked the least would be when I worked as a phone operator.  That job was boring.  Plus I worked the over-night shift so the phones were not very busy.  I think the most excitement we would get during those nights would be when someone would call in as a prank caller.  Sad, but true.
 The job I think I love the most is the one I do now.  I enjoy helping the people I work with.  And even though I work on a specialized team dealing with only one area, there is always a variety of work to be done.  Things are always hopping and there is always work to be done. 
3.  Does the new school year start before or after Labor Day where you live?  When do you think it should begin?  There is much discussion now about older students having later start times to their school day....your thoughts?

School in our area started before Labor Day.  In fact, the school year start earlier and earlier each year.  Someone told me once that the school district is slowly going to keep moving it back until we end up with year around school.  Which makes more sense to me.  I think it would be better for the kids.  Sure we all LOVE a long vacation and the down time, but I know my children use to have to give themselves some time to get back up to speed when the new school year would begin.  I don't like that.  I think they should hit the ground running.  Sure, we did things like read in the summer, but they still had some issues.  Besides, if they do year around school they will have weeks off during the year too.  Family vacations could be planned around those times.  Did you know there are some school districts in the south that have a 4 day school schedule.  Kids are catching buses at 6 a.m.  That's crazy!!!!
Yes, I think it makes sense to have young people start their days a little later in the day if that is how their bodies work at this time in their lives.  I wouldn't mind that at all.  
4.  What's something you've worked at recently that could be deemed a "labor of love"?

There are many things I think a wife, mother, and LDS woman does that could be considered a "labor of love".  For me, it has been some of those every day tasks for my family like taking care of my husband after his back surgery, or picking up after my children that seem to like to drop everything right at their feet when they walk into the house for someone else to pick up.  (That drives me completely nuts, but we aren't talking about that right now)  I pick up their stuff and their wrappers, do their laundry, and wash their dishes every day.  In fact, we do a load of laundry every night around 8:30 or 9 p.m.  The kids usually go to bed and I stay up to make sure that last load gets into the dryer each night.  I've done this for quite a while now.  It use to be that Kevin would stay up for that last load, but he can't put the clothes into the dryer right now.  I wish I could say I was involved with things outside of our home, like church and stuff, but I'm not.  I can't right now.  Right now, I am lucky to be able to make it to church on Sundays and give my lesson....which could be considered a labor of love too!  :)  I would also say, doing the wedding flowers for my sister-in-laws kids has been a labor of love too.  It was really hard with her first three daughter's because they really didn't know exactly what they wanted at first.  They wanted round bouquets, which is what most girls want these days.  And they knew colors, but they didn't want or have a theme or style they were going with.  In fact, I remember asking one time what theme or style, and I was told just make it look nice.  ARG!  Not the words you want to hear when you are about to specialize a design for someone.  :)  But, we got through it and they loved everything, and that's all that matters.....labor of love.

5.  Which of the following work idioms can you most relate to right now...."A woman's work is never done.", "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.", "Many hands make light work."

Oh, I think, "A woman's work is never done" is what I relate best to at this time.  A women's work truly is never done, but perhaps no one's is.  There's always laundry, ironing, cleaning of some sort, cooking of meals, buying of groceries and on and on and while the tasks do lessen when the kids leave, it's still the same work, just less of it.  And, in addition to that, I am overseeing my husband's care and up to my eyeballs with decisions and paperwork from the attorney's and doctor's, and I have a couple of other responsibilities that require my time.  Not to mention, WORK!  So, I often feel that my work is never done but the good thing is, I've learned to better cope with a "loaded wagon" and all is good at this time.

6.  Crab or lobster or thanks, but no thanks?  Favorite way to have your choice prepared?  

I like both crab and lobster, steamed with lemon butter over it.  BUT, I rarely eat either one, but I really do like it.  However, have you seen that show, Deadliest Catch?  I would hate to thing that something I eat for dinner could cause someone to lose their life while they tried to catch it for me.  So sad!!! 
7.  Albert Einstein is quoted as saying, "Three rules of work:  Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.  Which if the three do you consider to be the most important?  Share one of your own "rules of work". 

I think "From discord find harmony" would be most important to me.  The world around us is full of craziness and home should be a place of to come and retreat from the outside world.  Not a place full of discord.  I know some people like to argue and fight, but I think those people are missing out on so much.  Plus they are robbing their families of so much.  Robbing them of time spent in a quiet place to ponder their life, scriptures, receive personal revelation.  Not to mention, being in a constant state of contention is never a good thing.  All that does is leave bad memories.  Harmony is where it's at!  
My own rule, "Just do it!"  I think I say that the most around my house.  My kids will complain that they didn't make the mess when I ask them to clean up something, and I will say, Just do it.  Who cares who made the mess.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

Kevin and I were talking about it the other day.  We could have three of our four children out of the house by the end of the year, first part of next year.  That is insane!  Danielle has all ready moved out.  Kyle will be married sometime soon.  (No no, nothing yet....calm down.)  Curtis will leave on his mission soon.  That leave just Lexi to hang out with Mom and Dad.  WOW!  Talk about life changes!  In some ways I think I could get use to that.  In others, I'm not sure I am ready for that.  I think my older kids are totally ready for that,  LOL!  Do you blame them?  I don't.

Random thought #2....Do you know how hard it is to dust the ceiling fans in a house with vaulted ceilings?  Oh my goodness!  I started doing this after I sent the boys out to the store and that probably was not one of my better ideas.  What if I fell?  Luckily all went well and Lexi helped me a little.  Thank goodness.  
 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...