Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Humble Enough.....

I absolutely LOVE this quote!  It's interesting to me when I experience certain people that seem to think they are better than someone else.  I am always amazed when I see this happen and very surprised when good friends or even family (yes, family!) act like they are better than someone else.  Each time this happens the words of Mosiah 4:19 come flooding to my mind.  

I love that scripture!  This book of scripture really came to life for me one day in a Ward Council meeting several years back, when our bishop shared portions of the book of Mosiah and his thoughts as a devotional at the beginning of our meeting.  Before that, I am sad to say, I never really gave this portion of scripture much attention.  After that meeting I went home and studied that portion of the Book of Mormon for quite some time.  Since then, and after that meeting, the words at the beginning of Mosiah 4:19 ring out in my mind whenever someone treats me or someone I come in contact with badly.  OR whenever I come in contact with someone who will not help another person because they feel the person in need is to blame for their circumstances.  Often times the words...."why should they help them?  After all, since they got themselves into their situation, I shouldn't help them or given them my hard earned money or food, or whatever.  They need to get themselves out of their own mess."  You would be surprised how often I see this happen on a regular basis.  I am always in shock at who acts like this.  Some are acquaintances, some are friends, some are family members, and sometimes I even act like this too.  (Not a proud moment for me by any means) 

"Are we not ALL beggars?"  That sentence alone speaks to me and reminds me that each of us, no matter what our lot in life, are all dependent upon our Heavenly Father for ALL that we have.  

"Mercy is of the very essence of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  The degree to which each of us is able to extend it becomes an expression of the reality of our discipleship under Him who is out Lord and Master."

"For behold, are we not all beggars?  Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?...

"And now, if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right,....O then, how ye ought to impart of the substance that ye have one to another."  (Mosiah 4:19, 21)

In a talk given by Gordon B. Hinckley, here are his words on the subject....
"So spoke King Benjamin.  To which I add that the power of the Master is certain and His word is sure.  He will keep His promise toward those who are compassionate.  "Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy."  (Matt. 5:7)

I am confident that a time will come for each of us when, whether because of sickness or infirmity, of poverty or distress, of oppressive measures against us by man or nature, we shall wish for mercy.  And if, through our lives, we have granted mercy to others, we shall obtain it for ourselves.  

"For thus saith the Lord--I, the Lord, am merciful and gracious unto those who fear me, and delight to honor those who serve me in righteousness and in truth unto the end.

"Great shall be their reward and eternal shall be their glory."  (D&C 76:5-6)"

It is interesting to me how humbling it can be to be in a situation to need mercy.  It is even more humbling when mercy is extended to someone in need and a change of heart occurs on the part of the person giving.  It is so awesome to see and to be a part of something like this.  These are the moments when you can truly say that your hands are the Lords hands because you are doing exactly what the Lord would be doing if He could be here  himself.  Oh, how I sincerely hope I do not forget this so that I can be more merciful to others and in turn be found more humble and teachable by my Heavenly Father.  This is something I certainly can work more on.  This is something I think we all can work harder on.  Enough said.  

 photo ae61ba47-7d78-4151-a87a-fbdf53851081_zps246d8efb.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...