I thought we would have a little fun with 50 questions.
1. What are your nicknames? What do you prefer to be called?My nickname as a child was Sondi, but I prefer to be called Sondra.
2. What books on your shelf are begging to be read? I still have a couple Jack Reacher books I need to read. I just can't devote that much time to a book right now. Once I start one I can't put it down until the end.
3. How often do you doodle? What do your doodles look like? I doodle once in a while. Usually when I am on the phone, waiting for something, or when something is on my mind.
4. What do you do if you can’t sleep at night? Do you count sheep? Toss and Turn? Try to get up and do something productive? I rarely have trouble sleeping. Once in a while I have trouble falling asleep. When that happens I start thinking about what I would do if received a very large sum of money. Once in a while I will get up and clean the house, but that usually wakes everyone else up so I try not to do that.
5. How many days could you last in solitary confinement? How would you do it? I think I could last a couple of days in solitary confinement. I am fairly comfortable on my own, but I would need something to do. Usually something creative to do, like crocheting, doodling, reading, or surfing the Internet. Maybe even watching something on TV. BUT being alone with nothing to do could drive me completely nuts.
6. Do you save old greeting cards and letters? Throw them away? Yes I do. After a while I will go through them and discard some of them. BUT for the most part I save a lot of them. Especially the ones that look vintage. In fact, my bathroom has several prints or cards I have found. One is of a little girl in a wedding dress and a little boy in a tuxedo kissing the little girl. I like cards like that. Another photo is of a big sister doing her little sister's hair. You would be surprised the things you will find on greeting cards.
7. Who is the biggest pack rat you know? Oh, I think I am somewhat of a pack rat. BUT eventually I get really tired of things and sort through things and throw things out.
8. When making an entrance in to a party, do you make your presence known? Do you slip in and look for someone you know? Do you sneak in quietly and find a safe spot to roost? It all depends on the party. If I am at a family gathering with my husbands family, I usually sneak in quietly and find a safe spot to roost until the party is over and it's time to go home. With my family, I come in and make my presence known. At other parties or gatherings I usually slip in and find someone I know. It just depends on the gathering.
9. What is your strongest sense? If you had to give one up, which would it be? I think my strongest sense is sight and I really wouldn't want to give up any of my senses, so I am not going to choose.
10. How many times a day do you look at yourself in the mirror? That changes depending on the day and my activities. If I am home I usually look at myself every time I go into the bathroom since the mirror is right there and you can't miss it since it takes up most of the room. Then if I have a blemish or something I might look more often. AND of course when I am getting ready for the day or getting ready to go out.
11. What is the strangest thing you believed as a child? When I was in kindergarten I had a friend that told me about these big huge spiders that were as big as houses. This friend would talk about them every time I saw her on the bus. She got me to believe that the spiders could eat people. That scared me to death until I got a little older to know better.
12. What is one guilty pleasure you enjoy too much to give up? I really don't like many sweets. Or at least sweets are not always my first choice. BUT one thing I love that would be hard to give up is ice-cream.
13. Who performs the most random acts of kindness out of everyone you know? I think there are several people I know that perform random acts of kindness. My children have been pretty good and doing this lately. Women from my ward dropped off some yummy treats for my birthday, which I thought was very sweet. I think there are lots of people that perform random acts of kindness all around me, but they do not brag about them. They just help out and go on with their lives. It's pretty amazing!
14. How often do you read the newspaper? Which paper? Which sections? Honestly, I do not read a newspaper anymore now that the Internet is available. azcentral.com is one site I check for weather and local news. Other than that, the only actual printed material I read are grocery store adds or magazines.
15. Which animals scare you most? Why? I would have to say a snake scares me the most because of their bite and all. YUCK!
16. Are you more likely to avoid conflict or engage in it? I usually try to avoid it to a point. It takes a lot to get me to engage in a conflict. I can usually take a lot for a very long time, unless you are attacking my husband, children, or family.
17. What was the most recent compliment you’ve received and savoured? I was told that my husband and I have done a wonderful job raising our four children. It always surprises me when someone tells me what great kids we have. We are very blessed to be their parents and to have each of them in our lives. They are incredible and we love them all!!!
18. What is something about yourself that you hope will change, but probably never will? I would love to finish school, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, but who knows? Maybe someday, right???
19. Are you a creature of habit? Explain. I would say yes I am. I tend to do the same things day in and day out. I guess you would say at least I am consistent. :)
20. Are you high maintenance? Explain. I would say No, generally. Except when I am sick or getting ready for some kind of medical procedure. I am much better at being the caregiver than the patient.
21. When was the last time you really pushed yourself to your physical limits? It's been a little while. There for a while I was really trying to get in shape. After a while, I gave it up. I want to get back to that point. Hopefully I will be able to do that soon.
22. Do you have a whole lot of acquaintances or just a few very close friends? Why? I have a few close friends. I think over the years I have come to realize I would rather have a few close friends than several acquaintances simply because I value their friendship so much. Who needs a bunch of fake people hanging around anyway?
23. Are you more inclined to “build your own empire” or unleash the potential of others? I am more inclined to "build my own empire" than unleash the potential of others.
24. What’s a strange occurrence you’ve experienced but have never (or rarely) shared with anyone? Probably when my son was on his mission in Washington DC during a really bad hurricane and we were really worried about him. He even called home to get some extra money so he could get a 72 hour kit ready because his mission president told them to get ready. Kyle was in an area of his mission that was sure to be hit by the hurricane. So Kevin and I were very worried about our son. We do not have cable television in our home, but the night Kyle called home we received a channel we have never had before and since have never had again. It was a 24 hour local news station in Virginia reporting on the hurricane. That was the only way we knew the hurricane had completely missed the city our son was serving in. This was just one instance we knew our Heavenly Father was watching over our son and us while he was on his mission. It was totally amazing!!!
25. What do you think about more than anything else? Decorating or crafty type stuff
26. What’s something that amazes you? My husband amazes me. He has had a lot of issues with his back lately, but he can still be very insightful and helpful whenever certain things comes up and I need help. I love that about him.
27. Do you prefer that people shoot straight with you or temper their words? Why? I prefer people who shoot straight. Sure, I may not agree with or like what you have to say, but I would prefer someone who does not play games or has a preset agenda/method.
28. Where’s your favorite place to take an out-of-town guest? We don't get many out of town guests. Usually if we do have guests they are usually family members and we busy getting together for various family events.
29. What’s one thing you’d rather pay someone to do than do yourself? Why? Probably car repairs. I know nothing about cars so I would rather trust the people who know what they are doing.
30. Do you have a catchphrase? No not really, other than the usual LDS quotes or catchphrases like, "Return with Honor" or "Remember who you are"
31. What’s your reaction towards people who are outspoken about their beliefs? What conditions cause you to dislike or, conversely, enjoy talking with them? I usually tend to ignore the person that constantly shares or pushes their beliefs, views, or knowledge with me. I know of one such person that does this every time we see them. Frankly, I do not like it and for the longest time others have always said, "Oh, that's just how so-and-so is". I tend to not want to be around people like this just for this reason. On the other hand, I know of another person that is from Jordan and who has converted to Catholicism. This person will share things about growing up in Jordan and also about her religion and I enjoy talking with this person and learning more. So, I guess it all depends on how people share their beliefs, if they are pushy about it, forget it.
32. How and where do you prefer to study? I do my best studying after everyone has gone to bed and when the house is quiet. I can't study at the library because I get distracted because I tend to people watch when I am there.
33. What position do you sleep in? I sleep best on my left side.
34. What’s your all-time favorite town or city? Why? This is a hard one because there are different things I like about a lot of places. Right now, I would prefer some place cooler. I guess Northern Arizona would be nice this time of year. Solvang, California is a fun little town. It;s an all Danish town. It''s fun to go there and shop. My parents use to take us there once in a while.
35. What are the top three qualities that draw you to someone new? This is an interesting question because some of my long time best friends were people I actually did not like at first for whatever reason. To be honest, I never really thought much about this. I like lots of people but not necessarily because they have the same qualities. Some are completely different than other people I know.
36. How has your birth order/characteristics of siblings affected you? I was raised as the oldest in my family, but I am actually my father's second child. So, in a lot of ways I take on some of those middle child characteristics too.
37. If you could eliminate one weakness or limitation in your life, what would it be? I would probably say my weight. I have never been the super skinny girl. I could stand to lose a few pounds. I think my self-esteem would be higher if I could shed the pounds.
38. If you could restore one broken relationship, which would it be? I am a firm believer that some people come into your life to be a blessing and some a lesson. So, I do not have regrets or many broken relationships that need restoring. There is one relationship that could be better....but, relationships are a two way street and I honestly do not think the other party cares enough to want things to be better, so why sweat it?
39. If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to? I use to think about this more when I was a little girl only because no one ever spelled my name right. I can't remember what I would have preferred to be called. Now, I am a-okay with Sondra.
40. Do you believe ignorance is bliss? Why or why not? No not at all. Ignorance can be very frustrating and hurtful.
41. What do you consider unforgivable? I don't really feel there is anything I cannot forgive someone for. I have been taught that I must forgive everyone. Sure, sometimes it can take me a bit to be able to actually do that and I certainly am not perfect at forgiving, but I try.
42. Have you forgiven yourself for past personal failures? Why or why not? With some I have. Others not so much. It depends on the circumstances and the situations.
43. How difficult is it for you to forgive someone who refuses to apologize? Again, I have been taught that I must forgive everyone. Sometimes it's not necessary to receive an apology for the other person to know you have forgiven them.
44.Do you hold any convictions that you would be willing to die for? Sure, my religious beliefs would be something I would die for.
45. To what extent do you trust people? Explain. Usually I can trust someone fairly easily at first. But, once you have abused or shown me that you are not worthy of my trust, it is very difficult for me to trust you completely ever again.
46. In what area of your life are you immature? Oh, I think there are probably many ways I am immature, but to name them all could take a lifetime. LOL! I also think there are many ways I am very mature, but most of those things are due to life experiences I do not wish to share at this time.
47. What was the best news you ever received? Finding out we were expecting each one of our children was exciting. Having our oldest son receive his mission call was exciting. There are so many things I could list here.
48. How difficult is it for you to be honest, even when your words may be hurtful or unpopular? I can be honest pretty much all of the time even when what I have to share may be hurtful or unpopular. I may wait for the perfect moment to share and avoid you until that moment arrives.
49. When did you immediately click with someone you just met? Why? What was the long term result? Conversely, are you close with anyone now that you really disliked at first? It usually takes me a while to warm up to someone new, but there have been a few times when a friendship clicked the moment I met the other person. I remember this with my friend Julie. We were getting ready to move to a particular neighborhood and we would drive past her house because it was right around the corner from our new place. One day she was sitting on the tailgate with her husband as we drove by and something said to me, "You are going to be really good friends with this lady." AND that is exactly what happened. I was called to serve with her in a calling and we were fast friends from that moment on.
50. When do you find yourself singing? I love to sing. In fact, I was in choir from Elementary School, through Junior High, and straight on to High School. It's been a few years since High School, so I am a little rusty these days. So, I tend to sing the loudest in my car whenever I am in it. Once in a while around the house, and of course at church...but, I tend to sing very softly or just mouth the words at church for fear that someone will find out just how rusty I am these days. :)