Thursday, May 1, 2014

Netflix and BYU Women's Conference!

This flu, or whatever it is, has kicked my butt!!  It's kicked Kevin's and Danielle's butt too.  Kevin was complaining early this morning that his stomach still hurts, but the other things that come with the stomach pains have gone away.  Now, Kevin says, it seems to have gone into his chest and he is worn out.  Danielle says the same thing.  I feel the same.  
Yesterday I tried to clear the table.  I got it done, but I had to sit down a few times during it.  Not good.  Not good at all.  Lately all I have done is doodle and watch a few things in Netflix.  Thank goodness for Netflix and laptops.  I love my laptop.  My kids have them for school.  This past year my kids bought me a laptop for Christmas.  It has been a huge blessing for me.  I love that I can take it anywhere.  Especially on days like this.  
Here are a few of my favorites.....
Over the past year I think I have watched each episode of all 7 seasons at least 3 times.  Today I am watching the tail end of season 6.

Over the past couple of weeks I have started watching all the episodes of the 2 seasons of Scandal.  I know, it's a little trashy.  But I couldn't help it.  I think I have watch all episodes at least twice now.

Leverage is the same as Burn Notice.  I have watched all episodes in each season at least 3 times over the past year.  

The other day I watched this.  

I have a thing for Tyler Perry movies.  I don't know what it is.  He has a few TV shows that are on really early in the mornings during the week that I like to watch too.  I think I like his movies because they are basically clean and usually have a good message.  Not to mention some are just down right funny to me.  Especially the Madea movies.  They crack me up!

This one...I can only watch it in small doses.  I'm not sure why.  
I plan to try this one again later tonight.

That at least gets my mind off of my stomach.  Today I need to get to the doctor to get a doctor's note to get back to work.  I've gotta get back!  I plan to get there this afternoon.  Fun, fun!  
I hate being sick.  There are so many things I want to do.  Lexi has a Volleyball Tournament this weekend, we have a wedding reception to get to Saturday Night, Curtis has a few projects to complete for school and his on-line class before the end of the school year.  Not to mention graduation from Seminary and High School.  I checked out some graduation announcement samples last night.  We need to get those done.  I have a few things around the house I need to do.  Several things actually.  I found a few recipes on-line I want to check out.  One is a new bread recipe I want to try that looks super easy.  BUT, I just do not feel up to right now.  Arg!
Let's move on to something more exciting....
One thing I just realized I was missing this week.....BYU Women's Conference!  Here are a few things that are unique about the conference....
1) Have you ever heard of an Instant Choir?  Well, it happens at Women's Conference every year.  600 to 800 women who have never come together before, prepare a song for performance in less than three hours!  Mormon women arise before the crack of dawn to come together and unite their voices.  The choir sings at the opening session of the conference.  This year, the opening talk will be given by Sheri Dew!!!  You think her books are wonderful!  Try hearing her speak to you in person!  It is AWESOME!!!
2) Another unique thing about Women's Conference are all the service projects!  So, what is so unique about service projects, you say?  The sheer number of humanitarian kits, blankets, quilts, cards, and so much more, completed in the matter of two days is nothing short of AMAZING!  Every year on Thursday night, three hours to be exact, sport fields at BYU are turned into service project areas, a virtual beehive of activity.  Other projects that women can work on throughout the conference are, loom hats, fleece blankets, and other take and make projects.  There are also service learning rooms scattered throughout campus so that women can listen to talks and participate in service with other women.  Sharing Stations display a multitude of service ideas via booths.  
Just to give you an idea of the number of things produced and completed in the two day conference here are some numbers for you....200,000 Feeding Children Hunger Packets, 12,000 Personal Care Kits.  And these are just a few numbers.  There is so much more in the way of service that takes place.  I wish I had all of those numbers to share.  You would be amazed.  Just the sheer volume of work accomplished would blow your mind!  Not to mention the fact that the service subcommittee has visited more than 90 local agencies and identified the areas in which the conference participants can best serve.  This year conference goers will have the opportunity to serve by completing the following projects....
Beanie Bunnies
Boy and Girl Courage Capes
Christmas Stockings
Crocheted Headbands
Crocheted Scarves
Crocheted-Edge Burp Cloths
Fairy Wands
Flannel Receiving Blankets
Fleece Blankets
Greeting Cards
Happy Pillows/Lion Pillows
Infant Fleece Blankets
Loomed Hats
Owls
Pocket Hearts/Bereavement Hearts
Quilts/Lap Blankets
Tag Blankets
Toy Car Activity Kit
Walker/Wheelchair Bags



It used to be that the projects included international needs, but there has been a shift towards local needs.  As an example to show you how endless those needs are in Utah, the needs far overwhelm the capacity of what the women at Women's Conference can accomplish.  Just blankets alone, many organizations have a constant needs for these things.  Hopefully the work of those women at BYU Women's Conference will inspire and energize you to go to work with your local groups, even your local Relief Society to help build faith, strengthen families, and provide relief in your own communities, as well as bring joy to your lives too and show "The Enduring Legacy of Relief Society" to the world around you. 
Oh, how I wish I could have attended the conference again this year! It not only energizes me, but it uplifts and inspires me to be better.  To do more, to be kinder to others, to help those around me, to be a better wife and mother, and more importantly, it helps me to be a better follower of Jesus Christ.  I love the spirit at BYU Women's Conference.  There is nothing quite like it.  Love it!!! 
  
ME photo SondraSchmidtSIG_zps94c863c3.png
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...