Saturday, April 5, 2014

Kyle's Competition

I woke up this morning at about 5:30 a.m.  My alarm was set for 6:30 a.m.  Once I was awake, I couldn't go back to sleep.  I got a text at about 5:00 a.m. from someone, but I never checked it until later.  From 5:30 to 6:30 a.m. I spent time watching this news show called America Now News.  Leeza Gibbons (Blast from the past!) was one of the hosts on the show.  They talked about all kinds of things.  BUT the one thing that caught my eye and made me NOT got back to bed was the segment about this deadly virus effecting dogs across the country.  The virus makes dogs really sick and they eventually get so dehydrated that they die.  This show said you need to get your pet to the Vet right away.  That could have been what Butkus had.  I know, you are probably sick of hearing about our dog.  What I can't believe is how much these dogs have become a part of our family.  These dogs have become my little buddies.  What can I say.  The virus is called Circovirus for dogs.  So, the moral of this story is, pay attention to your dog and if they get sick, get them to the Vet right away.  Enough about that.

Curtis and I picked Kyle up at the Airport around 8:20 a.m. this morning.  Talk about a quick trip to Utah!  He said his Mission Reunion was good.  He got to see a lot of the people he wanted to see.  Kyle said President Albright is teaching Mission Prep in his stake.  He has 60 prospective missionaries in his class each week.  Talk about a large class!!!  WOW!  Sister Albright is working in the Temple in Las Vegas.  She loves it.  It was good for Kyle to see his mission buddies again.  He needed that.  He might go back at the end of April to see a few friends that he didn't get the chance to see this time around.  It all depends on if he can arrange it.  We will see.  Kyle loved hanging out with Elder Campbell and his family too.  They stayed with Elder Campbell's Uncle.  He has a farm in Prove.  They got to go through Provo Canyon and rode quads for a while.  The Mission Reunion was at a church building in Alpine.  It lasted about 3 hours.  All that work for such a short amount of time.  I would have thought the reunion would have gone on for a couple of days or something.  Apparently not.  Oh well.  
  
We totally missed Conference today!  Which I am not happy about.  Some of the best remarks are made on Saturday, in my opinion.  Kyle had a Weight Lifting Competition that he had to be at by 10:00 a.m.  We showed up for it around 11:00 a.m.  Here are some videos of Kyle's 6 lifts.
video


video


video


video


video


video

Kyle got 6 out of 6.  He received 4 gold medals for his lifts and he beat his personal best today.  All in all, I would say Kyle did quite well for this being his first Competition...other than the ones he was a part of in High School.  

Here is Kyle with his Coach, as he receives his medals.  The photo for the Gym.


This is the USA Olympic Coach that trained Sarah Robles when she went to the Olympics in 2012.  
This next picture is a photo of one of the medals Kyle received.  The front of one of his medals.  


And this is the back of all of the medals.


Pretty cool, right?  I think Kyle did great and we are very proud of him.  (We would be proud of him even if he didn't weight lift.  He is an awesome young man!  We are proud to call him our son!)

Kyle's next Competition is in June.  Then the National Competition that same month in 
Salt Lake City, Utah.  So, we will see what happens.  Most likely, we will not be going to Utah this summer.  Kyle will not be participating in that Competition yet.  He is still training and trying to get better.  Maybe next year??!!  This is Kyle's dream or goal, or whatever you want to call it.  
We just wanted him to pursue this so when he looked back on his life he couldn't say NOT doing this was one of his regrets.  AND what happens, happens.  If it is meant for Kyle to get to the National level and beyond,.....GREAT!!!  We totally support him.  If it isn't meant to be, we still support him and encourage him to do his best, and that is exactly what he is doing.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

One thing that was really cool to see were the young kids doing these Competitions.  There were little girls 10 and 12 lifting.  It was so cool!  Then it was even more cool to watch the National Junior Champion lift!  She just happens to be 16 years old AND a Mormon!  She is super strong!  She has also competed Internationally.  In fact, I think she might be one of the people that went to Russia with Kyle's Coach not too long ago.  
She, of course, wore her USA warm up suit, her USA lifting outfit, but she wasn't wearing an attitude.  She did not make anyone feel like she was better than anyone...even though she clearly WAS!  She spent her down time talking about the Mormon Prom with her friends and cheered on everyone!  She was really something!  It was also cool to watch one of the men also qualify for Nationals.  He too was wearing all of his USA stuff.  We could see both of them at the Olympics sometime in the future!  

The text I mentioned earlier was from my Sister-in-law who lives in West Valley City, Utah.  I wish I would have gotten to my phone in the morning.  My youngest daughter always takes over my phone every chance she gets to snap chat with her friends.  It drives me nuts!  By the time I get the phone it is usually dead.  I guess I know what to get Lexi this year for her birthday or Christmas.....a better phone.  Anyway, I wish I would have saw the message when it came in.  I must have been dead asleep then.  Saturdays are always my catch up days for sleep.  Today I really needed it.  I can barely open my eyes today.  They are so sore and it hurts to be in the wind or near a ceiling fan right now.  My glasses are my best friend right now.  I should wear them all the time, but I just can't bring myself to do it.  So, sleep would have been a great thing today.  Maybe I will get to bed early today and/or get to sleep in a little tomorrow.  I'm crossing my fingers and my toes.

This has started off to be another weekend that has not turned out exactly the way I had planned, BUT...that is perfectly A-OKAY with me.  Sometimes those are some of the BEST days.  Conference tomorrow!  YES!!! 
QUOTE:  We are at our very best, and we are happiest, when we are fully engaged in work we enjoy on the journey toward the goal we've established for ourselves. It gives meaning to our time off and comfort to our sleep. It makes everything in life so wonderful, so worthwhile. 
--Earl Nightingale


Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...