Thursday, February 20, 2014

Can you say S-C-A-R-Y???

Yesterday while Danielle was at work she went out to grab something for lunch but her debit card wouldn't work.  When she checked her voicemail messages there was a message from her bank asking her to call them immediately.  She called and after the bank representative verified that it was Danielle calling she proceeded to tell her that someone had come into the bank with a paper copy of her debit card asking to withdrawal $500.00 out of her account.  After Danielle confirmed that she did not authorize this the bank had the woman arrested for fraud.  Can you say scary?  Recently we all had been informed that our information was compromised through a school.  Now Danielle will need to file a report with the school just in case that was where this person got her information.  Good thing the bank teller was on top of it and took care of Danielle.
Today I am dragging a little.  I have had trouble getting to sleep every night this week.  Good thing tomorrow is Friday and I can sleep in a bit.
Have you ever wondered what you would do if you came into a large sum of money?  For the past several months that has been on my mind.  What would I do?  I would buy a house that was big enough to have a pool and a pool house that Danielle and Kyle could move in to.  Then they could come and go as they please pretty much.  I would buy each of us a new car and my mother too.  My parents have done a lot for us and that is the least I could do for them.  I would also do something for my mother-in-law because she has helped us a lot too.  If the sum was large enough I would probably quit my job and spend time with my family.  Maybe travel a little.  Maybe take a class or two.  And ultimately, I would get involved helping others by sharing some of the remaining amount.  I think it would be a hoot to be able to help others that struggle everyday to just get by.  Those that live day to day or paycheck to paycheck and still come short.  I would help try and help those that were elderly and had to make the decision to eat or buy their medications in any given month.  I would love to be able to hand our bishop money at Christmas time or anytime to help out those in our area that he knew needed more than what he was able to give.  Wouldn't it be cool to prepare food boxes for all the needy families every week?  Just think about how much fun it would be to do it during the holidays.  Or buy coats for kids or shoes or back packs.  Whatever was needed.  That is what I think would be the coolest.  What an awesome feeling it gives me just to think about it.

One of the ladies I work with told me a  cool story some time ago.  Apparently she knew this elderly couple that had gone without hot water for a very long time.  One day when she had come into a few extra bucks her and her son went out and bought a new water heater and the son installed it for the elderly couple.  It was a complete surprise for the couple.  That is the kind of stuff I want to do.
I think this would be the absolute most fun ever with a little money.  Sure I would help out my immediate family and extended family but the remaining would be used to help others.  The only thing I would ask in return is that the people receiving the help go out and help someone else. Maybe not financially but maybe with an act of service to someone.  I try to be nice to people I come in contact during the course of my day.  I open doors, I let people go first in the grocery store lines, I have even bought random strangers gas and groceries a few times.  Service opportunities come up all the time.  My opportunities just happen to come up in some of the strangest places and times.  But they do come.  I just wish I could do more.

Quote:  Doors usually open for the fully committed.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...