Tuesday, January 28, 2014

It's Still January, For Heavens Sake!!!

Have you noticed it too?  Since I have been home sick I get the chance to drive my two youngest kids to school and as I was driving I have noticed that a lot of homes in my neighborhood have their Valentine decorations up.  It's still January!  All I could say was isn't this too early?  I guess I am use to putting my Valentine decorations on February 1st and leaving them up for the entire month.  You know, the way they did it when I was in school.  Do you remember the theme calendars or the bulletin boards your teacher would hang up around the classroom?  I remember my teachers would put them up on the 1st day of February and leave them up all month long.  Isn't that the way it should be???  OR am I completely wrong? 


I know stores have started putting out all their seasonal products about 3 or 4 months before each holiday.  I am kidding....it may be only 2 months.  BUT it sure seems super early.  So, what is the right time to put out your decorations?  Is there such a thing as decorating etiquette?  Off to the internet I go.  Here is what I found....

*Major Holiday decorations should be displayed on the first day of the month which the holiday falls in. Examples: Halloween decor shouldn't be displayed until October 1st. Thanksgiving decor on November 1st.

*Minor Holiday decorations should be displayed a week before or the week of the celebration. Example: Valentine's decor displayed between February 7th and 12th.



*Multiple Holiday decoration displays are not allowed. Example: Leprechauns can not be displayed with eggs and bunnies when Easter falls at the end of March. Put up the Easter decor after St Patrick's day or don't display the leprechauns and shamrocks at all.

If you go by this guideline, then that explains why I thought the 1st of the month was the day.  Frankly, I think a lot of us are starting to follow the retailers trend to put things up way to early.  BUT the bottom line is......who cares, I say do what you feel like doing.  Is it gonna hurt to put those Valentine decorations up in January?  Of course not!!  The only thing it may do is make your neighbors, like me, feel like they need to get their act together. 

Tonight I will have to have my children get the Valentine decorations out.  They just LOVE helping to put out the holiday decorations.  NOT!!!  They could care less to be honest.  It makes no difference to them.  BUT even though they don't like doing it now...someday when they have families of their own, they will remember this and hopefully it will bring back happy memories, fond memories, an maybe even spark them to create their own traditions and memories with their own children, and that makes this all worth my efforts and time.  I love doing it!  It's fun for me and it just plain and simple...makes me happy. 

Here is a picture of a portion of a banner I made last year.  The whole thing says, LOVE AT HOME.  I like it.  What do you think?  I will have to show you the whole thing when we finally get it hung up.



I may still wait until the 1st day of February to get those red and pink hearts out.  That way, I have a couple of days to plan.  Decide what to display.  Not to mention, maybe pick up something new this year or make something new.  MAYBE!  No guarantees. 

QUOTE: "Develop family traditions. Some of the greatest strengths of families can be found in their own traditions, which may consist of many things: making special occasions of the blessings of children, baptisms, ordinations to the priesthood, birthdays, fishing trips, skits on Christmas Eve, family home evening, and so forth. The traditions of each family are unique and are provided in large measure by the mother's imprint."

(James E. Faust, "Enriching Family Life," Ensign, May 1983, 41.)

1.
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...