Sunday, January 19, 2014

I've got a new attitude.

Have you ever noticed those families that seem to live their lives as if every moment is some kind of photo opportunity?  Or have you read certain blogs where everything appears to be too perfect?  I have!  And I notice that I am drawn to these people and I continue to read their blogs.  Why is that?  Do I honestly think each and every moment of their lives are that perfect and flawless?  Of course not.  There has got to be a time when things are not always perfect.  When their hair is a mess or when there are dishes in the sink, or toys under the bed.  No one can be on their best behavior 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  It's just not possible.  We are all human and we all have those moments.  I think the one things these people have in common is that they really know how to accentuate the positive in their lives.  What a concept!  Why do we want to be around positive people?  Who wants to be around a "Debbie-Downer" all the time?  I think it's human nature to gravitate towards those people who are happy and uplifting.  People who encourage us and show us the way.  People that show us how to be better.  I know I prefer to be around those kinds of people. 
So how do we do that?  How do we accentuate the positive most of the time?  I'm not completely sure to be honest.  But I think it's time to find  out.  You see for the past couple of years I have been a "Debbie-Downer".  We have had a few things that have side-swiped our family and I think some of those things have jaded me somewhat.
I love this quote by Gordon B. Hinckley.  It gives me some great tips for trying to be more positive in my own life.
"Don't be gloomy. Do not dwell on unkind things. Stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. Even if you are not happy, put a smile on your face.  Accentuate the positive. Look a little deeper for the good. Go forward in life with a twinkle in your eye and a smile on your face, with great and strong purpose in your heart" 
Have you ever heard the term, fake it til you make it?  This is what I need to start doing.  It can be hard sometimes.  Especially since anyone can read me like a book most days.  However, I've noticed since I have gotten older I seem to have this scowl on my face even when I am happy.  You know those lines on your forehead?  Lots to work on.  And I have to admit there are some people in my life that seem to bring out my absolute worst side.  These are the people that my friends at work hear all the stories about.  What will we talk about now if I change my ways? 
I'm just kidding.  I know that I can try a little harder to find some good in those that irritate me.  It may take a moment or two to calm down or some time to think about something, but it can be done. 
My plan is to pray for help and guidance with this first.  Then based on the answers I receive from my Heavenly Father I will put my plan in action.  I will also keep you all informed on my process too.  Hopefully you will be able to notice a change in me based on my posts.  My hope is that my positive attitude will be reflected in all that I do and say.  So wish me luck with my new goal. 
It's Sunday.  The start of a brand new week.  Do something nice for someone else.  Something unexpected without receiving anything in return.  Do it anonymously and inspire others to do the same.  What a better world this would be if we strived to do nice things for others.  Give it a try.  You just might like it.
1.
Pin It

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...