Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Fun Times at the Schmidt House

It's been exactly one week since Kevin had surgery and/or was discharged from the hospital.  Honestly, it has been exhausting and now I am sick too.  EEK!  I just need to try and take it easy and take care of myself.  Get some rest.  All in all, I have learned a lot over this last week and I will be better soon.

Sunday Curtis turned 18.  I can hardly believe it.  With all that has been going on we had a really low key birthday for him.  The best part of the night was when we got a knock at the door from two girls bring Curtis cookies.  They made these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies that were really yummy.  When Curtis text and asked the one who made them...the one replied and said they were really dry.  Curtis then text back and said, no they were really good.  In fact, they were so good, he then text to ask her to marry him and back cookies for him for the rest of his life!!!  That kid!!  He cracks me up.  Apparently, her family was having Family Home Evening at the time he text.  So her parents had her read the text out loud and he was the hit of the night.  LOL!!!  That boy!!!  Kids say the craziest things.
(Lexi has this thing on her handheld video game that allows you to distort pics.  Love this one of Curtis!)

Lexi has a Volleyball game today which we will not be going to.  This will be the first game we have ever missed.  I'm a little bummed about that.

(This is the Freshman Team at a Sand Volleyball game that included the JV and Varsity Teams.)  

Danielle and Kyle are off to school until late tonight.

(this is an old photo of the two of them together at a ward party)

Here are a few other photos...

Kyle and Lanelle.  

This is the young lady Kyle has been dating.  We love her!  One of the things I want most for each of my children is to find someone that has a strong testimony.  Lanelle has a very strong testimony and comes from a wonderful family.  She is a lot of fun!  She can sing too.  She has a beautiful voice.  
So where ever this goes, we cannot be more happy for both of them.  (Kyle doesn't want to tell us they are dating because he thinks we will make a big deal out of it.  Too late!!!  He just wants US meaning....ME, to play it cool.)


This is what my two boys did late Monday night after it rained all day and night.  They played 
mud football.  Crazy kids.  

And here is a recipe we just love....

Stuffed Flank Steak.


The pics above are actually from Pinterest.  We make this all the time.  In fact, my mother use to make this all the time when I was a kid.  We would cut the flank in half.  Add salt and pepper, then add a stuffing mixture. (My mother makes a homemade stuffing, but I have even used stove top in a pinch.  I just add a little water to the stuffing mixture to stick together, not all the package calls for.  I will also add a little butter to the mix like the package calls for.  Does that make sense??) After the stuffing is added, you roll up the flank like a pinwheel and tie with string.  Once your little bundle is all packaged up, you add a small amount of oil to a pan (we usually make ours in an electric skillet) and then brown the meat on each side to seer the meat.  Once the meat is seers, you add a little water to the pan and let it cook, just like you would a roast, for a few hours on about 300 degrees.  Once the meat is done, we cut the bundle in about 1 inch pieces and serve with mash potatoes and gravy.  This is one of my husband's all time favorite meals and it is super easy to make.  It also makes a great presentation and everyone will think you slaved all day in the kitchen.  Now I am hungry for stuffed flank steak.  Give it a try and if you have any questions let me know.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...